Sport
Martin M-8

Re: Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Oct 2012, 08:39 • #427 
Emeritus
palexius24, that's a great example.

Post 22 Feb 2013, 08:57 • #428 
I am stuck on Hardy reels, I started buying them when I was stationed in England in the early 80's and then inherited what my Dad had when he passed away.
ST George MK2 3 3/4 with box and red/white case
Princess Multiplier #7 with blue/white case
Ocean Prince 3 3/4 with black case
Sunbeam #9/10 with black case
Perfect 3 3/8 with blue/white case
Golden Prince #7/8 with black case
Perfect 3 1/8 with blue/white case
Marquis #7 with black case
Marquis #8/9 with black case
Marquis #10 with black case
Marquis # 4 with black case
Marquis # 6 with black case
Golden Prince First Edition Box set #135 with #9/10 and 11/12Salmon

Post 24 Apr 2013, 06:30 • #429 
Glass Fanatic
Steve.. you gotta throw up that picture you posted on the Classic Forum board.

What a neat collection you have.

Post 05 May 2013, 10:41 • #430 
Sport
Tailingendloop, I agree.

Those Redington CT's are really nice reels. I just found one and bought it. Nice, tight tolerances and very smooth running reel with a nice finish. Mine's black but I see they were available in silver like the one in your photo.

It's a shame they quit making them. Greg

Post 03 Oct 2013, 22:09 • #431 
Sport
Brian Shaffer wrote:
Steve.. you gotta throw up that picture you posted on the Classic Forum board.

What a neat collection you have.

Second that. Nice reels. *insert smiley face with its tongue hanging out here*

Post 13 Dec 2013, 05:28 • #432 
Master Guide
As far as Hardy click-pawls, I'm a fan of the Marquis series. Rim control, rugged springs - plenty of reserve if you get into a nice fish.

I am still amazed at the Pflueger Medalist for the money. The drag alone, while going beyond the classic click-pawl, is remarkable and considering when it was designed quite an accomplishment. If developed by one of the pricier competitors these days, the drag alone would put it out the price point it sells in.

I am a fan of the Supreme 1834 and 1856 (though '56 a disc with clicker), the latter having been dropped from the line some years back. The Bronson Royalist is a very nice reel. More substantial than the South Bend 1122, however, the 1122 is a nice light duty reel but less serviceable than some others if in need of repair.

The CFOs in small and medium sizes are very nice light duty reel with rugged springs for their size. But for the money, the disc versions are IMHO one of the best values in quality reels out there today. The light TFOs are quite nice in contemporary click-pawl offerings and reasonably priced.

There are a lot to choose from. And when you start looking at other drag mechanisms, Tibor, STH, and other makers past and present have truly great offerings.

For my dollar, I like the Marquis, Royalist, and Hardy made Battenkill, when it comes to click-pawl only. They are solid, and have some backbone if needed. Though, I'll qualify the backbone on the Battenkill by saying "for a light duty reel". One never knows when one will hit a biggin', even in relatively small creeks. Especially during those months when the sexes are wearing their party clothes!

Post 13 Dec 2013, 08:09 • #433 
Piscator
for me, the Marquis, while a fine reel, has too limited range in the check tension adjustment. There is just not much difference in all-the-way-on and all-the-way-off. It can be increased by spreading the springs, but a wide range cannot be achieved.
In contrast, both the Prince check and the JLH Ultralite check have very wide range on their cams, inherent in their different designs.

Again, not to dis the Marquis, because I fished mine on tv for Big bass and also took it to Alaska. Just making the point that it is not Hardy's best check design.

Post 02 Jan 2014, 05:26 • #434 
Master Guide
Good point. I'll modify it slightly, however. IMO, the range is fairly wide, though leans toward the light side in smaller sizes, and towards the heavier end in larger sizes. I used to own a range of the S.A. versions, and I base my remarks largely on my experience with those reels. I only have two or three Hardy Marqius reels that I purchased to replace the System reels, and it may be my imagination, but they seem, perhaps a bit more limited in range regarding the drag setting, particularly the one I have from the reintroduced production.

Post 02 Jan 2014, 08:26 • #435 
Piscator
hey, I hate a control freak as much as the next guy, but this really isn't an attaboy thread, query thread, or not really even a discussion thread.
This is a thread to introduce people to click-pawl reels they may not have seen, photos preferred.
Here, I'll lead by example.

Here's a Young caliper clicker, a pattern 1, lead-finished, possibly later than 1924 because of the erinoid handle, but still very early because of the single-screw pinned brass foot.
The reel is marked for Farlow, who sold more than 45 different reels in their catalog.
Image Image
when I got started in this, few people could or went to the trouble of identifying makers of "character" reels, or simply called them Dingley to differentiate from Hardy. This feature of the threaded, pinned spindle I always thought was elegant and how I recognized a J.W. Young between-the-wars example (since better than 98% of these reels had merchant marks).
Image Image
Image Image

Post 11 Apr 2014, 20:34 • #436 
Inactive
An Abel TR2 that my wife just picked up. The color would not have been my first choice but this is a very well made reel.

Post 20 Apr 2014, 14:04 • #437 
Guide
In the late 60s and early 70s, Orvis published a newsprint flyer on a regular basis.

This is where the CFO was first announced, in the summer of 1971, at a price of, as I recall, $39.95.

I ordered mine within 5 minutes of reading the announcement.

I have been told that there was a small pre-production run of CFOs (30 is the number I heard) which had no engraving.

And that's the reel I have.

Post 19 May 2014, 11:09 • #438 
Glass Fanatic
John, now that is an early CFO! Great looking reel indeed.

Post 19 May 2014, 12:52 • #439 
Glass Fanatic
I like CFO screwbacks too.

Post 01 Nov 2014, 22:45 • #440 
Guide
What a wonderful long running thread!
(Read over all the 18 pages.)

I still do not understand how to post images to Fiberglass Flyrodders, but if I'd be able to,... this little reel would be it.

I traded a Sage SLT 9' 6 wt. 4pc. that has not seen any use for a good number of years for this lovely little Hardy:
a Golden JLH Ultralite # 2/3/4. The gentleman who owned it found it far too small & light.

Lately I have been finding rods longer than 8.5' & lines heavier than a 5.5 wt (like the SA. GPX or Rio Grande) very tiring to use.
Rods of 8' or shorter with mid to full-flex actions seem to work best for me. This year I started using glass again, an Orvis Superfine 8' 5 wt.

One of my favourite shorter rods has been a Scott G2 7'7" for 4 wt or DT 3., but I've not been able to find a suitable small reel to match this light rod. My Bouglé MK Vs & my 3" Valentine # 76 Single Action reels are all too heavy to balance with this rod.

The new 2 7/8" Golden JLH Ultralite matches perfectly with the G2 7'7". (SA. Supra WF4F, with 4.5 m. of running line removed + 40 m. of 30 lb Micron.)

"Bulldog" on this Board has posted some beautiful pictures of his JLH # 2/3/4 reel on (post #296).
The only difference that I can see between his reel & mine may be the handle material. It looks like Bulldog's JLH has a brown resin/plastic handle, while mine is of impregnated wood. I would have preferred a plastic handle that's not prone to swelling when wet.

I have searched on this forum, the Classic Flyrod Forum & on the Net. There seems to be precious little information about the JLH Ultralite click series.
When were these reels made?

Post 02 Nov 2014, 12:35 • #441 
Master Guide
Abel Creeks

Hardy Bouglè

Tibor Light Spring Creek CL, not 100% click but great on my Scott 7'0" #3 fiberglass rod. Instant Classic.

I still have performance disc drag reels, but my love is definitely for click 'n pawl reels (croaking frogs, as my friends name them...)

The Pflueger Progress no.1774 recently cleaned up, with a Roman olive oil lamp (1st century B.C. Circa, found around my town outskirts when I'was a child) and a Vietnamese silver Koi Carp.

Tibor Light Spring Creek CL with the Teuladese Knife, Custom Made for me by Antonio Cherchi in Domus De Maria (Teulada Cape, Sardinia Island, Italy)

Post 06 Nov 2014, 18:07 • #442 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
Lamson LP1 Lite

Does anybody know what type or size of wrench to use to flip the pawl on a LP1? Is it just an Allen wrench? Or is it a star wrench? I can't see that well on my reel to tell for sure. :)
I have a NOS LP1 like the example in Bulldog's photo that seems to be slightly biased for RHW and I prefer LHW. Or am I crazy and just imagining the bias? To me, it is very slight but noticeable nonetheless. I detect it with the sound and the tension when winding it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to strip the screw. Also, please feel free to let me know if I am crazy or not.
LOL
Thanks!

Post 07 Nov 2014, 08:36 • #443 
Piscator
there is not adjustment on LP Lite - tension is the same in both directions. You can give it a bit of bias by bending the spring, but I don't recommend it unless you have the right tools and know what you're doing. I can do it.

If it does show a bias, try flipping the spring

Post 07 Nov 2014, 13:11 • #444 
Master Guide
Thanks Ron,
I will have to accept the fact that my hearing ain't what it used to be.
I'll try flipping the spring to see if it makes a difference. If not, I will just live with it.
:)

PS. Thanks Ron also for all of your great reel photos.
Whenever I first learn about a reel that I have never heard of before, (a lot of them), I come here and do a search.
More times than not, there's a thread with great photos provided by you or others.
They're greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Chris

Post 09 Nov 2014, 10:31 • #445 
Sport
I picked these two Caps reels, unused, for 120 bucks. I read some good things about them here, the price seemed right, and I figured I'd probably not have another opportunity to buy one of these reels in Switzerland, so I couldn't resist. I don't quite know what rods to pair them with but I'm sure I'll figure something out. ;)

About 10 years ago, I bought this on ebay to go with a 2 weight bamboo rod. I think it was around 60 bucks.

And before my Montana trip, I bought this CFO plus a spare spool for 150 or so. I was actually happy that it was as well used at it was, because I was planning on heavily using it, and that's exactly what I did on Lava and Tom Miner creek with my 3 weight Superfine glass.

Post 09 Nov 2014, 14:17 • #446 
Glass Fanatic
Ahh great find! I've been looking for one of those agate cap reels for some time.

If you ever want to sell.... Keep me in mind ;)

Post 09 Nov 2014, 16:28 • #447 
Inactive
Elwha wrote:
PS. Thanks Ron also for all of your great reel photos.
Whenever I first learn about a reel that I have never heard of before, (a lot of them), I come here and do a search.
More times than not, there's a thread with great photos provided by you or others.
They're greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Chris

My thanks to Ron and others, also.
I picked up a few reels that this forum helped me with.
What a fantastic resource. I am thankful.

Post 07 Jan 2015, 10:56 • #448 
Sport
I really like my new CFO reel, made in USA. Just need to get another spool for my new TFO glass Rod. Right now it's on my Orvis 3 wt glass.

Post 08 Jan 2015, 09:39 • #449 
Sport
scud dog wrote:
I'm guessing that like me, lots of you are click/pawl reel users. I'd like to know what your favorite click/pawl reel is.

Going back to the original question: I love click/pawl reels in general and old skeleton/raised pillar reels in particular. My favorite is a Bronson Flylite with WF-6-F Cortland Sylk line. Hey, I fish old rods, no reason not to use an old reel that's still in good working condition!

Post 08 Jan 2015, 15:47 • #450 
Sport
And here's my latest acquisition, a Pflueger SalTrout with Midwest Flies WF-7-F line. I hope this will handle bass & walleye, but we'll see.

Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply