It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:12

Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Click-Pawl Reels
Post 18 Aug 2019, 06:47 • #526 
Sport
Mine is the old work horse, Metalist 1495 1/2, the original model made in Ohio. Takes a lickin and keeps on clickin’....

Post 29 Sep 2019, 10:37 • #527 
Sport
I have several Scientific Angler system 2 reels I use for everything (well made & bombproof) but thought I would try a System 1. Started with a 678, used it on a 4 and a 5 wt rod, worked great! Recently purchased a 456, unfortunately it came thru with a cracked drag gear (the plastic one) found a spool online with a metal gear, bought it and lo & behold it fits perfect. Will work great on my 3 wt. BTW I used some JB Weld on the cracked gear and I am cautiously optimistic that I now also have a usable extra spool. JB seems to be a quality product and it may be stronger than the original gear material, we shall see. Long & short of the story is if you like the clickers look at SA system 1's, relatively inexpensive, well made, and a nice sound ( I know, I know, sound is a subjective thing)

Post 29 Sep 2019, 11:42 • #528 
Guide
wthorpe wrote:
The only clicker I use is a Pflueger Sal Trout 1554, the older version with the "iron cross" cutouts on the back. I just put it to work a few days ago on a Fenwick 786 with a Rio Trout 5wt and about 100 yards of backing.

I hate to quote myself, but there is a mistake in my earlier post: i really put about 30 yards of backing on the 1554 along with the WF 5 wt line. It might actually hold 100 yards but it would be quite tight. I plan to use the reel where I will likely never see the backing again in any event unless it's to change fly lines. If on the other hand i do hook a fish on this aged $25 reel that can get to the backing...well, then i will let you know.

Post 28 Jan 2020, 20:53 • #529 
Islander IR

Post 29 Jan 2020, 10:42 • #530 
Piscator
Here's a tailwater rainbow my buddy caught on his Islander click-pawl and Phillipson EF76.

Post 02 Apr 2020, 08:27 • #531 
My favorite is the Abel Creek series. They are not made anymore but you can find a nice one on eBay for less than $200 if you watch.

Also, older Ross Colorado’s are nice but an odd color.

There is something soothing about the click noise as you strip out line and reel as fast as you can while pulling in a nice McCloud.

Mark

Please review the posting guide about back-to-back posting.

Post 04 Jun 2020, 19:52 • #532 
Sport
The old olympics are great, I agree

Post 09 Jun 2020, 01:32 • #533 
Sport
I fish a Ross Colorado LT. I bought two of them one for me little brother and one for me. Sound is classic, 15 parts, American made (nuff said). Reel is incredible and worth the money.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 05:55 • #534 
Piscator
I think after 22 pages, this thread has lost its way.
IMO, tt was never intended to be a voting thread, but an introduction and enlightenment thread, to inform forum members what they might find out there to match up with their old or new glass rods, or maybe even their cane rods.
An information archive - a catalog of sorts - and will admit it had its greatest value when good auction buys could be found on ebay.

IMO, the random voting posts detract from the thread value, obscuring the information in random opinion.
Find something that's not on the thread? Put it on the thread, photos preferred.

Here's a reel often overlooked, almost always under-priced, lightweight, wonderful adjusting in both directions click-pawl, and hasn't been made since the mid-30s.
Meisselbach-Catucci Symploreel. After Bronson bought them out, Allcocks bought the bakelite molds and had JW Young build the reel with their click-pawl and of course their name, the Aerialite.
Either or both reels I mentioned may already be on the thread, but giving an example.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 07:51 • #535 
Guide
I own and have owned them by Orvis, Hardy, and Pflueger and never had one I didn't like but as I look back the J.W. Young reels dollar for dollar are hard to beat. The reel I use most is on a 7'9" bamboo 4/5 wt. rod and it's an Orvis "Battenkill Lightweight Wide" which not surprisingly was made for Orvis by J.W. Young. For a description, it is a 3 1/4" Beaudex M.W. and is I believe the only 3 1/4" version of this reel Young ever produced. It is a handsome reel and very fine mechanically.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 16:26 • #536 
Sport
I remember holding your setup at Waddill the other day. It's a fine setup.
Dave.

[ Please review the posting guide about the proper use of quotes. )

Post 05 Aug 2020, 22:08 • #537 
Inactive
jgestar wrote:
Ron, Roughly what time frame were these reels produced?

Looks like a Weber Kalahatch 400.

Post 05 Aug 2020, 22:14 • #538 
Piscator
which was made by Duncan-Briggs. (only 4 pages of posts search up)

To answer Tom's quoted question, they were only made for 2 years, 1954-5. They made a lot considering how many are out there under different marques.

Post 13 Aug 2020, 18:25 • #539 
Sport

Martin 65

This is how the spool release appears, under its cap, before cleaning.

I picked up this Martin 65 recently at a secondhand shop for $25. It was grimy but cleaned up nicely suggesting very light use. Came with a salvageable L6F (that’s what it looks like). Haven’t used it yet. I note that the bottom pillar is not centered directly below the foot. I believe this may indicate LHW.

Post 28 Aug 2020, 15:28 • #540 
Sport
Orvis CFO for me.

Post 02 Sep 2020, 16:40 • #541 
Guide

Finally, I'm able to post images.
This brace of S.A. 50th Anniversary, System #5s are my favourite reels for my four weights. Their gold finish matches the hardware of my Orvis Superfine Touch 4wt graphite. It also looks good on my Scott F2 4wt. fiberglass rod.

I bought my first reel of the pair almost a decade ago. In 2018 I was able to find another pristine example. This reels are a version of the very popular Marquis 5/SA System #5 reels (1000 of these were made by Hardy for Scientific Anglers in 1994-95 to mark their golden anniversary).

Last edited by blueprof on 02 Sep 2020, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Sep 2020, 18:38 • #542 
Piscator
fine reels - might be more desirable than the Marquis.

Post 02 Sep 2020, 20:52 • #543 
Guide
Thanks Bulldog. Some folks may not like their golden finish (I did not at first). But these reels are perhaps better made than the original Systems or Marquis. The ubiquitous black plastic cap covering the nut that holds the spindle is gone on these reels. (I lost two of these caps in my lifetime.) The spindle is fixed to the back the same way as the Lightweights, or the St. Georges. A much neater arrangement.

While I still remember how to post pictures here on FFR, I might as well add one more click-check reel. I bought this one on a whim in 2017, while I was in Calgary. Tried to fit an abbreviated WF4F line (18 meters) + 20 meters of 30lb Micron. I was able to fit all this into the St. Geo. Jr. 2 9/16" reel, with room to spare.

Frankly I was not happy with the narrow circular stripping guide on this reel. Caught a couple of fish, then packed the reel away & almost forgot about it, till today.
I don't use this reel at all, as I do not fish down to 3wt rods in either glass or graphite. The St. Geo. Jr. seems to be designed for 3wt or lighter lines. (Or perhaps very thin silk lines?)
For still-water club fishing, my range of sticks are now from a very light 4wt to a 6wt. ********* rods has just built me an 8' 6wt Western Glass, but I have not yet received it.

Most likely I'll sell this St. Geo. Jr., but I don't know quite where yet. Up here in Canada there does not seem to be much of a market for standard arbour, click-check reels of this diameter, Hardy or not. Large arbours rule the day.

Here she is:

Post 23 Jan 2021, 08:33 • #544 
Master Guide
Here’s a Martin 63-SS I inherited from my father in law who sadly passed too young.

I need to take some better photos. Is this the infamous “tuna can”? He and his brother Buddy fished these and Buddy’s Shakespeare (1094?)
on their inexpensive boat 6wt fly rods with popping bugs for bream on the Pascagoula and Escatawpa Rivers for years. I haven’t fished the Martin much but Bulldog has inspired me to lube it up and get it back in action. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere I love my little OC 35 for right hand reel practice.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 09:59 • #545 
Master Guide
Yes the 63SS is one of the tuna can reels. And, yes you should fish it in memory of your FIL.
I have a reel that belonged to my fly fishing mentor that I fish on occasion in his memory, makes me feel good to catch one and say “ this ones for you Dan”.

Tim

Post 23 Jan 2021, 10:42 • #546 
Master Guide
Amen to that, Tim!

Post 23 Jan 2021, 11:42 • #547 
Sport
I‘m always lookin for some quality modern classic clickers to add to my shop portfolio. This time i got in contact with Vlad from VR-Reels from the Ukraine to see that he now offers some really sweet 3“ classic model of the „Trutta perfetta“ made of 6061 grade aluminum which was initially developed to be available as full titanium reel only.

Being more affordable for the broader mass of flyfishermen i found the aluminum version was worth a try.

What can i say... i‘m in love... did not often hold a such a quality and with love to detail manufacturerd reel in my hands before...

The 3“ perfetta comes in several colors to fulfill the dream of matching the hatch with the rod.

It can be choosen if it comes with a brass or titanium reelfoot as well as with a black or ivorine handleknob.

Definetly a perfect partner for a lot of glassrods imo...

Here are some pictures... for more information on technical specs visit the VR-Reels website or you will also find more details on my website.

thanks for looking!

Cheers

Marc

Post 23 Jan 2021, 14:53 • #548 
Master Guide
Those are killer!

Post 24 Jan 2021, 16:48 • #549 
Glass Fanatic
Those are beautiful!

Post 23 Mar 2021, 19:01 • #550 
Sport
I only have 2 "clickers" that I use. My other reels are disc drags.
I was able to pick up a used SA system 6 reel + extra spool in 1980 when I was shopping a local shop for a graphite blank to build. I snagged the last iteration of the CFO a couple years back.

Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next New Topic Add Reply