It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:24

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Cleaning Reels
Post 22 Jul 2012, 09:04 • #51 
Guide
I have a question about the Boeshield. Will it mess up your new wax job on a reel? I gave one of my reels Boeshield, vinegar bath, dish soap bath, wax, lube. Then I forgot that I didn't add any type of oil to the inside of the handle. No way I would try to take that handle off. So I sprayed Boeshield in it about 3 times. I wiped everything off I could. Then I gave a drop of oil to the handle too. Then I realized I may of messed up my brand new wax job on the reel. If I did I couldn't see anything. Does Boeshield harm wax in any way? I didn't want to try to wax over Boeshield. I was afraid that wouldn't work, even if wiped off good.

Post 13 Nov 2012, 08:02 • #52 
This is a follow on question from a previous post.

If I brush and or polish a brass and alloy reel back to base metal can I then treat the reel with something to preserve the colour and cleanliness? Also have any of you tried blueing a brass reel? I thought I might be able to add a patina of sorts to the pfleuger on the brass frame and then rub it for wear so speak and preserve the finished product so no more blueing will rub off. I have done this before with bronze sliding rings but they do not hold the patina well during use. I'd like to have a matching blued reel for one of my cane rods with blued hardware.

Also should I use a brass brush wheel for brass as the metals should be similar in density? I'm not sure if I can but an aluminum brush for the spool, but will look into it. Would car cut and polish do the same thing as a brush with similar slower results on a woolen buffing wheel?

Thanks

Dean.

Post 13 Nov 2012, 09:30 • #53 
Piscator
bulldog1935 wrote:

if you ever had a brass buckle in the military, it arrived lacquered (clear Krylon)
You had to polish it away before your brasso would take

a good friend, a machinist who built the telescopes at McDonald Observatory, had a 100-point Triumph Tiger that he rode, but it also lived in the kitchen. He would occasionally take off his case covers, buff them with rouge, and spray them with clear Krylon.

I have usef Brass Black on reel feet, screws and handle pans. I also bronzed a DAM brass reel - was happy with the result, though it was not uniform. Never tried lacquer.

grossly altering the appearance of a reel is really not the topic of this thread.

Post 12 Jan 2013, 09:18 • #54 
Master Guide
Hallo,

I would like to repeat my question of 17 June, which I have not yet had a response.

I've buy a marine blue grease to lubricate my reels.

I made this choose by the fact that marine grease is very water resistant.

What do you think about this?
Could be I made a mistake not considering my reels are classics like Hardy's or Pflueger-like style?
In particular, I turn to the expert Bulldog showing a great experience, but also to all Colleagues

Uncle Ben

Post 12 Jan 2013, 10:26 • #55 
Piscator
I used Daiwa blue for a long time, and found Hot Sauce grease to be better in the long run.
I believe I have found an equivalent in Pro Gold EPX, sold in bike shops.
I don't know anything about the grease you are asking about. But in general, avoid lithium grease on your valuable antique reels. Sorry I can't help more.

Post 12 Jan 2013, 10:51 • #56 
Master Guide
Thank you Bulldog,
I'll check if my blue grease contains lithium.
What I neatly noticed is after greasing, my Hardy reel sounds less acute a shade lower, much more enjoyable.
Maybe I put too much grease

Post 17 Feb 2013, 23:46 • #57 
Sport
Is Boeshield safe for the paint on my 53 year old medalist? I received this reel in pristine condition, however it is very dry. I want to disassemble as far as I'm comfortable and lube it with red sauce and oil. Is Boeshield a good way to get started loosening up screws for disassembly? It came into my possession set up for left hand wind. It has the correct left hand wind drag plate installed. This reel is so nice I would hate to do too much and mess it up. Thanks for any advise in advance,
Fred

Post 18 Feb 2013, 00:18 • #58 
Piscator
yes, boeshield is about the safest treatment for painted reels - safer than vinegar bath. While its not specifically a penetrating oil, it does reduce many of the salts that will bind up screws over time. I've had some frozen solid reels that after a spray to clean the outside with boeshield, would spin like a top the next day. Not saying I didn't have to work at the screws after that, but it does help.

Post 18 Feb 2013, 00:31 • #59 
Sport
Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll post some pictures whenI get this reel serviced. I still have a few questions about it. The bottom of the box is dated 11/59. It has a six rivet spool and is set up for left hand wind. I guess someone could have certainly bought the left hand wind drag plate. The box is marked with "For the right handed angler". I'm assuming that means right hand retrieve.
Thanks again,
Fred

Post 28 Jul 2013, 23:45 • #60 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:

5) Final rinse - very thorough cold-water rinse here. Be careful of the sink rinsing off your tiny parts.

CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH!

I thought I was paying attention to the small bits and still ended up washing the latch spring for my St. John down the old kitchen sink drain. Anyone have a recommendation for finding a replacement? Or gage of wire to bend up my own?

Thanks,
Zor

Post 29 Jul 2013, 06:51 • #61 
Piscator
the current springs for Hotspur Salmon or Salmon Marquis from Hardy North America should work.

I always use a fine-mesh colander in the sink to catch parts that wash out of my hand.

Post 29 Jul 2013, 08:17 • #62 
Sport
Thanks Bulldog. I'll look for a replacement for one of those two. As soon as it flowed out of my hand I thought to myself "Self, you should have put a strainer in the drain." Oh well, hindsight ...

Post 29 Jul 2013, 08:54 • #63 
Master Guide
Have you pulled the p-trap to see if it's sitting there? It might not be to the waste water treatment plant yet.

Also, for a temporary measure, I've fabricated a latch spring from a stainless wire leader for a knockoff of a Hardy Lightweight. It's worked well so far.

Post 29 Jul 2013, 18:05 • #64 
Sport
I took the drain apart, no luck. The good news is I got in touch with Hardy NA and they have what I need.

Post 02 Sep 2013, 17:19 • #65 
I picked up an old Martin 61 the other day. It isn't super dirty, but could certainly use a bath and some lubricant. What would you recommend to grease it once the reel is clean?

Post 02 Sep 2013, 17:34 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
Koba wrote:
I picked up an old Martin 61 the other day. It isn't super dirty, but could certainly use a bath and some lubricant. What would you recommend to grease it once the reel is clean?

As you may have already read, many folks including myself recommend hot sauce reel oil and grease products. After cleaning and drying the reel, I would grease the spindle top where it contacts the spool cap as well as the gears and pawl. Following this I would oil all moving parts.

Les

Post 02 Sep 2013, 22:50 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
-Zor wrote:
I took the drain apart, no luck. The good news is I got in touch with Hardy NA and they have what I need.

Koba be sure and read the other posts under this topic. All the information you could ever use is here.

Post 03 Sep 2013, 21:29 • #68 
This is the Martin 66 that I mentioned previously. It isn't super dirty, but it could certainly use some hot sauce and a little love.

ImageImage

Post 23 Sep 2013, 22:36 • #69 
Sport
Bulldog,

I scored an old Battenkill MKIII that was pretty gunked up. If I understand things correctly this was made for Orvis by Hardy and is so darned light because it's magnesium. I've gotten it back to functioning by cleaning with rags and Q-tips, but there it's still got a long way to go. What's your recommendation for acid bath time for magnesium? I don't know enough about it to know if it behaves that much different than aluminum. Also, is the soap bath ok after the vinegar?

Thanks in advance.

Post 24 Sep 2013, 06:25 • #70 
Piscator
have you tried cleaning with Boeshield?
The magnesium is anodized by a process similar to aluminum, so I think the baths are plenty safe. Keep your eye on it and keep working the gunk with a toothbrush until you get it out.

Post 24 Sep 2013, 09:00 • #71 
Sport
I'll give it a whirl tonight after work. I'll let you know the results.

Post 25 Sep 2013, 00:20 • #72 
Sport
Tried dipping it in a 4:1 water vinegar solution. The exposed magnesium began reacting immediately. I left the rim and spool in just long enough to loosen some gunk on either then pulled em out. About a minute or two. They were letting off so much gas they appeared to be smoking when I removed em. I moved on to the soap bath and rinse without a problem. Had to spend a lot of time cleaning mechanically and rinsing with water. I don't think I hurt the reel with the vinegar, but I feared removing what was left of the paint with the chemical reaction taking place.

All in all it cleaned up fine and feels and sounds great now. Also, I used a bamboo BBQ skewer to clean the gear teeth and other stubborn dirt. Bamboo, not just for fly rods anymore ...

Post 25 Sep 2013, 07:30 • #73 
Piscator
thanks, I'll add a caveat to the first post

Post 19 Dec 2013, 23:45 • #74 
Master Guide
When I bought my used Battenkill III four years ago, it had some finish blistering - minor and only in a few spots. I presume oxidation from salt or putting away damp. I showed it to my local tackle dealer about a year later (now out of business and out of the area) who gave me a vial of clear, what he referred to as rust inhibitor. The stuff was amazing. It smoothed down, not entirely, the blistering and after three year of use, it still looks better than average for its vintage. I reapplied it two years in a row but ran out. Perhaps I don't need to keep reapplying it, but I am still curious as to what it might have been and if it or something like it is commercially available. Any idea as to what this miracle nectar may have been?

Post 20 Dec 2013, 06:42 • #75 
Piscator
no idea, but have you tried Boeshield? It incorporates corrosion inhibitors.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply