It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:51

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Cleaning Reels
Post 04 Sep 2008, 13:44 • #26 
Master Guide
Sounds like pretty good stuff to me! I was out and about today and was in the vicinity of Sears so I stopped to see if they had it. The only choice they had was the 12 ounce Boeshield and 8 ounce Rust Free combo so I bought it for $24.99. It seems like I'm often trying to remove rust from things or rusted nuts from bolts. So in addition to using it on reels I'll also use it for that and on my bicycle. I would think that it would really be good for boaters.

In addition to Sears it is probably available here at REI and at West Marine. It can be ordered from the Boeshield website, but they won't ship to Alaska. The websites also listed other places to buy it.

Cleaning Reels
Post 29 Jan 2010, 10:05 • #27 
My lithium grease just went from my reel shlef to my auto shelf and will stay there. Thanks for posting ... probably just saved my old Pfluegers and BFR's.

Cleaning Reels
Post 10 May 2011, 08:41 • #28 
Guide
I picked up a used Medalist that was filthy with some sort of gunk on the spool, I assume the old silk line dressing. I dropped it the warm-side-of-hot water with a little Dawn in it, came back fifteen minutes later and proceded to wipe the paint right off the spool.

Was it the Dawn that killed it, or was it the old caked dressing just ate the finish off, and when the dressing left the spool so did the paint? I tried to wipe it as gently as possible, and I'm left with a slightly tacky surface still.

Cleaning Reels
Post 10 May 2011, 09:39 • #29 
Piscator
yes, Dawn is going to have dilute ammonia in it - bad stuff for aluminum.
Ammonia is an alkali. It cleans the aluminum too well, exposing bare aluminum, and will break down paint, slowly,
but the combination causes the aluminum to let loose of the paint.

Dilute vinegar is a mild acid, which aluminum likes.
It doesn't clean the aluminum - it makes the aluminum surface harder, and removes the dirt over it.
If you left it in vinegar too long, it would remove at least part of the paint, too, but the process would be much slower.

Cleaning Reels
Post 11 May 2011, 00:46 • #30 
Guide
Oops.

Live and learn, this guy was battered up pretty badly so I don't feel too bad, but what a shame to mangle it up. I expected that Dawn would be extra mild.

C'est la vie.

Cleaning Reels
Post 23 Aug 2011, 18:05 • #31 
Sport
Awesome guide Bulldog! Just 2 questions, what is the best soap to use for the washdown and how do you clean your toothbrushes(or do you just throw them out) when they get nasty which isn't long ... thanks

Cleaning Reels
Post 23 Aug 2011, 23:49 • #32 
Piscator
Sartana wrote:
Awesome guide Bulldog! Just 2 questions, what is the best soap to use for the washdown and how do you clean your toothbrushes(or do you just throw them out) when they get nasty which isn't long ... thanks
hi friend, in theory, old toothbrushes should be easy to come by, but the process that cleans the reel works very nicely on the toothbrush along the way.
The toothbrush usually comes out looking just like the reel.
I use regular dish soap, dilute, and soak time is very short.
If you've done the vinegar right, you're not going to need that much time in soap to slough the residues.

Re: Cleaning Reels
Post 21 Feb 2012, 01:07 • #33 
Master Guide
Hi mates,

I also want donate a couple of little magic hints hoping it can help.
To clean up stubborn stickers glue from varnished parts, try finger-apply olive oil on glue trapped dirty.Smear it a bit, then by a cloth rub it off with glue and dirty.

Olive oil definitively removes glue, setting surfaces neatly clean.

Old or discolored rubber parts, like butt plugs and so,are given a look-like-new aspect, by smearing them with anti freeze car cooler liquid,I read it is because liquid contains a nutrient for rubber called (in Italy) "lanolina".

Car tyres also are cosmetically renewed by setting them shiny and darkened -like -new looking.

An all purpose!

Uncle Ben

Post 03 May 2012, 10:38 • #34 
Piscator
Vinegar bath before and after photos - this is a Leonard bi-metal.
I also tweaked the spring to restore it to RHW, after someone had spread it to LHW.
I made about 60 little bends up and down the spring with coarse-radius spring bending pliers, and it was a bit unnerving on a 130-y-o rusted steel spring ...

Note that the handle was in the vinegar bath the shortest time, 30 minutes, to keep the ebonite from loosing too much carbon black.

The remaining parts were in the bath for 3 hours. Most of the dealloying was superficial, but there were a few pink spots and pits left in the nickel silver.

as received
Image Image
Image Image
sprayed it with Boeshield and let it soak overnight, and with nylon-jaw tubing pliers and hollow-ground driver, it came right apart.

after
Tough little booger to photograph now ...
Image Image
Image Image

Post 03 May 2012, 11:27 • #35 
Master Guide
A good job bulldog.
This Leonard reel is a pinky beauty.
Do you bring with you in fishing action your vintage reels?

Maurizio

Post 03 May 2012, 11:40 • #36 
Piscator
I do fish my vintage reels, but that one is not mine - I was hired to clean it.
I didn't even try it for size on my Leonard Fairy Catskill - I didn't want to know ...

Post 28 May 2012, 13:13 • #37 
Guide
This has been a very enlightening thread. Thank you for this info! I have been trying to learn how to clean my reels. Some reels I can take apart fine, and clean. Others are a little more difficult. I need some video sessions I am afraid ... lol. I can do fly reels but I would not even attempt to take down a conventional reel, and clean it. Getting the reel apart is easy. But getting something back together, that is a whole other deal, in my opinion.

Post 04 Jun 2012, 21:02 • #38 
Guide
I have checked a few places locally, but I can't find the Miracle Lemon Oil Polishing Cloths. I do have Old English Lemon Oil. Can you just use that instead? I went to Lowe's and Home Depot, and neither carry the Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. It is also called BWS Bowling Alley Wax now I believe. I could order it, I know. But since I am cleaning reels, I wanted it for now. :)

Post 04 Jun 2012, 21:12 • #39 
Piscator
no. slow down.
check eBay for both.

Post 04 Jun 2012, 21:50 • #40 
Guide
Alright. I guess I will have to order them over the net. I ordered directly from BWS just now. I hope it doesn't take long to get here. One polishing cloth lasts a while I am guessing. I am trying to locate that too. Thanks Bulldog.

Post 05 Jun 2012, 13:43 • #41 
Master Guide
Not as easy to find as it once was. eBay was my only option for the Butchers as well.

It'll be on your doorstep before you know it.

Post 05 Jun 2012, 13:58 • #42 
Guide
I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement. I am chomping at the bit to get my reels in order. I want to take photos of them, once I get them all sparkly. :-) I don't have anything to brag about. But they are nice to ME. I wonder if I should order one or two polishing cloths since they are so hard to come by. I am waiting to hear from a seller. The wax should be here in a few days. The sooner the better. Oh, and I tried that Boeshield, and I really like it. It isn't under pressure as much as the Corrosion X. That stuff will pop back at you if you aren't careful. I did the first vinegar bath ever on an old Pflueger Medalist. (it needed it) I like the results. I was a bit disappointed in the appearance of it when I got it, but I have cleaned it up pretty good. It still needs lubing.

Post 17 Jun 2012, 13:35 • #43 
Master Guide
Hallo,
I've recently buy a marine blue grease to lubricate my reels.
I made this choose by the fact that marine grease is very water resistant.

What do you think about this?
Could be I made a mistake not considering my reels are classics like Hardy's or Pflueger-like style?
I would like get your response please.

Uncle Ben

Post 18 Jun 2012, 17:17 • #44 
Guide
Thanks for the cleaning tips. I've used Remington gun oil in the past to lube the spindles any reason why that might not be a good choice?

Post 18 Jun 2012, 18:13 • #45 
Piscator
None at all.
3-in-1 oil is a good choice, too

Post 18 Jun 2012, 21:20 • #46 
Master Guide
flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Question, the oil from the handle spindle, keeps seeping out onto my hand. Anything I can do, other than reclean the spool and not oil it this time? I hope there is a way to clean it up without removing the line from the spool as I have it lined already. If not, I will remove the line from it, and see what I can do. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks Ron!

I use a Ocean City 35 that has worn spindles (both spool and handle) and I stopped the loose (rattle) and have no seepage by using an aerosol motorcycle chain lube. It applies as light viscosity with a small red tube like a WD-40 can has, but quickly turns into a grease (hey, it's a chain lube) as the volatiles evaporate. It's designed to withstand heavy wear and to be water resistant. It doesn't ooze or seep off onto your hand even after the reel is submerged, and because it's thick, it reduces the "wobble/rattle" of the worn spool spindle.

Post 18 Jun 2012, 21:24 • #47 
Master Guide
I should add that it can be re-applied without removing or dismantling the spool & handle by just squirting some thru the thin red tube to the bases of the spool screw & handle axle. Work it in a bit, wipe off the excess, and you're all set.

Post 20 Jul 2012, 21:22 • #48 
Guide
Ron, I still cannot seem to get the Miracle Cloth with Lemon Oil. I ordered on Ebay. The package didn't come. I let the seller know, he sent another. Still no package. So I gave up on him, and ordered from a place in the USA. The Miracle Cloths came in, I was so excited until I opened the box. They were Miracle Cloths with COCONUT OIL. That is not what I ordered. The seller said that they guessed that Miracle Cloth doesn't make the Lemon Oil ones anymore. I did get that Bowling Alley Wax in, and I used it. You are just wiping the metal parts afterwards with the Miracle Cloth ... after you wax ... then use a chamois on the whole thing? Or after waxing, your wiping the whole reel down with the Miracle Cloth? I sure don't want to take the wax job off with the cloth, if that would happen. I also just got my Chapman screwdrivers in. I like them but haven't used them yet. I will try them out tomorrow.

Post 21 Jul 2012, 07:52 • #49 
Piscator
no, the miracle cloth is an abrasive cleaner/polish - I use it on rods to remove the river chalk before waxing them.
If you use them after wax, you will remove the wax. They are not something to be used randomly - they are for specific cleaning/polishing tasks where abrasive is desired.

Post 21 Jul 2012, 08:09 • #50 
Guide
Thank you. So you are waxing the metal guards etc ... I could of sworn I read you used the cloths on reels, following up after waxing. That was a bit confusing to me, as I figured that would take off the wax. So I thought you weren't waxing the metal pieces, just the painted areas etc ... and then you used the cloth on the rest. So you use the cloth on metal guides and ferrules etc for rods? You aren't running these cloths down the fiberglass of the rod are you? I was going to use a carnauba wax for the rods. (or a marine wax I have on hand) You know so much about reels. I wish you would write a book, or better yet, come out with a video for cleaning and restoration of reels.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply