It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:09

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 06:26 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
An eBay search for automatic fly reels showed a TON of different manufacturers and models. For a guy that wants, maybe, to fish one in the 5-6-7 weight range, for trout, what would be a good working reel that I won't have to compete with collectors for, or pay a lot for? I saw a lot of South Bend, South bend oren-o matics, shakespears, and martins, but a ton of others, as well. Any suggestions? Any to stay away from? I am tempted by the HIs, just because it would make a neat pairing with my old HI Mohawk rainbow.

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 07:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
ocean city made a nice automatic that also could be cranked in a conventional manner. i think the model is ocean city #90.

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 10:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You don't need to get in a high price bidding war over an automatic fly reel, and certain models remain essentially unchanged for years and years; they might be relatively new production but look just as "Vintage" as essentially the same manufacturer's reel from years ago. Martins are reliable and easy to come by new or lightly used, and I never saw one yet I wanted bad enough to pay more than $25 for. I have Martins, but I wouldn't tout them over something else. Just do some Ebay searching and grab what suits your fancy as you won't have much money in it anyway.

Perrine and Pflueger come to mind as other grand old names in auto reels, but there are many others. Possibly you'd want to match the reel and rod brand, as somebody suggested in another post just recently.come to think of it, get four or five, and mount some reel seat brackets on your truck bumper so you don't need a winch if you get stuck or want to pull your boat back on your trailer. Really, auto reels are a heck of a lot of fun, especially on heavier 'glass rods for panfishing or bass fishing, which is more or less their traditional use. Plus you can pick your color scheme from gaudy to conservative.

Pflueger Automatic Fly Reel Model 1195 NIB Item number: 370010199861

Martin Automatic Fly Reel Model 81E Item number: 300122671188

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 14:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
whirlpool, a pretty red Martin 49A Mohawk just went for $33.00 plus $7.00 shipping on eBay . Emotions are the emeny in an auction. Looked like a few small chips and scratches, other wise fine. But, you are right, lots of them! I just noticed that some reels sit catywhompus (spelling) under the rod ... rally different looking.

Thanks for the input ... any other spring-winder fans out there?

wacokid54

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 15:33 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yup. Another time you'll spot a 49 A in better condition that draws just one low bid. "Catywhompus," which I can't remember how to spell, is one of my favorite words. Daryl Waltrip used it once to describe the arc of a loose race car in turn 4 at Darlington. "They are all cattywhompus coming off four," he said, and I just about fell out of my chair. The phrases catty corner, kitty corner, or whatever, are related. It really just means "diagonal," which is way too pedestrian for wrecking race cars or fly reels. The earliest auto reels (I think Martin was the earliest patent) like what you are referrig to, are called "horizontal," which made it a big deal when they hung them downward and called them "vertical." So really, it's just the fish, the line, the rod, or the angler that is caddywhompus, which is a good thing when fishing an automatic fly reel.

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 15:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Of all the automatics I have had and used the Martin has been my favorite too. Mitchell I think it is makes a good one too but haven't had a chance to try one myself.

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 16:02 • #7 
Sport
Hi,

If you don't want to deal with eBay and pay for shipping, I've got a Southbend 1130 list on the for sale board. $25 shipped to the lower 48. Reel is in great cosmetic and working condition.

p099.ezboard.com/ffibergl ... 1083.topic

Drop me a line.

-----
Rich

Automatic fly reels
Post 17 Feb 2008, 16:42 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
My first automatic will be a H I. I was the only bidder, and paid a whopping 99 cents, and $8.00 shipping. I fear there is a reason no one bid. But, eBay can be really goofy sometimes.

Rich, I will look at your post on the sale board.

Thanks, guys

Wacokid54

Automatic fly reels
Post 18 Feb 2008, 17:50 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Wacokid,
Welcome to the automatic reel club. I have a bunch and use em all. Their best use as far as I am concerned is crick fishing. There is a bit of a learning curve, don't have the spring wound so tight that the fly (or the fish) zips all the way back to the tip-top.
I'm sure the HI you won will work fine.
Keith

Automatic fly reels
Post 18 Feb 2008, 18:13 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Crick fishin' ... is that where you get a crick in your neck looking up in the trees to see where your fly is lodged? Actually, where I grew up in Iowa, we said "crick" not "creek" but I seldom here it here in Colorado. I think my first auto reel adventure will be for brook trout.

Thanks for the tension tip!

Wacokid54

Automatic fly reels
Post 25 Feb 2008, 22:46 • #11 
Master Guide
Guys,

Can you tell (teach) me the correct way to use an auto fly reel?
Never hold one in my hands. But have one on the way.

Thanks in advance ... Image

Automatic fly reels
Post 26 Feb 2008, 09:23 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I think there are a number of different styles each with its own unique operation. You might want to let the group know what brand or model you have coming. I know that certain models have strong springs and you have to be sure you don't retrieve the fly right up into the guides causing the tip to break.

Automatic fly reels
Post 26 Feb 2008, 12:32 • #13 
Master Guide
Jeff,

I'm waiting for my HEDDON Mark IV auto reel.
Should receive it today.

Automatic fly reels
Post 26 Feb 2008, 16:55 • #14 
Master Guide

These are some of the auto I have used: Pfluger 1199, Perrine #87, Bronson 390 royal matic and the Garcia Mitchell 710. The best way to learn how to use the automatic reel is to fish with it. Depending on the speed of the reel, you will need to adjust your touch of the retrieval lever. May times I will not use the lever if the fish is manageable(BGs , crappie) but for big fish like pike bass and carp, I get them on the reel ASAP and use the lever for my retrieve.

Bill

Automatic fly reels
Post 27 Feb 2008, 03:02 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Fish for crappies (old papermouth) with an automatic reel and you can literally rip some lip if you are abrupt with that trigger. But part of the fun of them is learning not to lose a fly or two when the leader zips all the way through the tip top, or breaking the tip and so on. Here's the basic deal, and then look at your reel to identify its specific "controls." The winding function is spring loaded by a flat spring as in some wind-up clocks, but way more powerful. In addition to the release-to-wind "trigger," the reel will have a latch mechanism to fully relax the spring. It will have a manual winding control (usually the outside of the spring housing) that you twist to put initial tension on the spring. I usually string up my rod and extend a length of line about the length of the rod. Then I release the spring and wind it so it has enough left to retrieve about four feet of line. You have to experiment a bit, but that way you'll never snap the line all the way through the guides. In fishing, the reel continuously winds itself as you strip line to cast, sufficiently to retrieve the amount of line you've stripped out, but keeping the maximum retrieved length about as you set it. Similarly, if you play a fish big enough to run against the spring, the fish is winding the reel as it takes line, and the spring has sufficient stored energy to retrieve that same length. On my Martins, I find the winding resistance is just about ideal as a drag. Now you have a choice to make. Some folks use automatics strictly to quicly recover stripped in coils of line, but they play the fish the old fashioned way--by slipping line through the fingertips or stripping it in. They activate the trigger, usually with the pinky finger, just to store in loose coils of line, averting tangles. Or you can do it the fun way. Trigger the reel on a little flippety-flop fish, and he'll come zinging toward you. But you aren't after babies, right? When the fish is large enough to fight and run line, you can trigger the reel to try to bring it towards you. A fish of a size worth catching usually can't be moved by the spring alone, but if he relaxes or turns toward you, the spring will wind immediately and your line stay tight. And watch out (the downside of this method) if he gets off while you have the trigger down because the line will whistle in in a hurry. So the compromise method is to pump the rod to bring the fish toward you, then relax the rod on the down stroke and touch the triggr to bring in the increment of line you gained. You will have a ball, and you really can't fish these reels wrong unless you let the line come a-zippin' and hook your buddy's cap. If you just stripped a few guides of your rod, that would be worth it for the story anyhow.

Last edited by whrlpool on 27 Feb 2008, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic fly reels
Post 27 Feb 2008, 06:19 • #16 
Master Guide
Great info whrlpool. Thanks.
OK. I'm interested enough to give one a try.
How much do those puppies weigh? Poking aroing on a few web sites, it looks like many run in the 10-11 oz range.
My 7 and 7.5 ft glass rods balance best with reels in the 5-6 oz range (like a 3.25" to 3.5" Pridex or a Martin 67A).

Any idea which ones run in the 5-6oz range?

Thanks.

Last edited by Anonymous on 27 Feb 2008, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic fly reels
Post 27 Feb 2008, 07:14 • #17 
Glass Fanatic

Some weigh in substantially more than others. I use one of the newer Martins (see below) and it is not too bad weight wise and functions well.

Last edited by jeffsod on 27 Feb 2008, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic fly reels
Post 27 Feb 2008, 09:47 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Well, actually, I think they are all heavier than a conventional reel, but you'd want to look for an older model with less line capacity. Used to be similar models came in two sizes, one about right for a 5 or 6-weight line, and one big enough for an 8, as these are the most common size ranges for pan and bass fishing. Actually, the weight balances longer 'glass rods pretty well. I think the Garcia Mitchell autos were among the lightest. I think the old Martin 49 may have been lighter than its current model also. For lighter, there are some high grade semiautomatic reels, seldom seen in the US, but I guess pretty popular in Europe:
http://www.vivarellifranco.com/uk/2004-semiautomatic-reel-in-aluminium-for-fly-fishing.htm

There must be an error in the weight listing, but here's an example of the two sizes http://www.troutlet.com/Martin-Automatic-Fly-Reel-P198.aspx

Last edited by whrlpool on 27 Feb 2008, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Automatic fly reels
Post 28 Feb 2008, 02:43 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Took and weighed my Martin in the above photo just to see and it weighs 9.8 ounces on a postal scale with a 6 wt WF Sci Angler Lefty Kreh line. So I guess compared to a regular reel it is easily two ounces heavier.

Automatic fly reels
Post 28 Feb 2008, 05:45 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
First time I used one on a bamboo flyrod, I took the tip off. I was only six at the time and my father was pretty understanding. Still would never use one on bamboo again.

Barry

Automatic fly reels
Post 28 Feb 2008, 08:02 • #21 
Master Guide

These are state of the art Semi Automatic fly reels from Italy. They DO NOT Operate by use of a spring. Pros in Europe swear by these reels for their efficiencies. The silver reel is the AT #37. The gold is the Franco Vivarelli Goldstar(can be used in salt water), the black is all carbon fiber. They are made with adjustable drags. Extra spools can be purchased separately if you want to change lines while fishing.
Bill

Automatic fly reels
Post 29 Feb 2008, 12:33 • #22 
Master Guide
All this talk got me curious about an H-I that resides here on a shelf. It could work better, so I took it apart. What a greasy, black, gritty mess inside. I will have to blast out the wound spring with engine starter (ether) to get the grit out. Be nice if it would come apart and uncoil so it could be cleaned and lubed properly. Here I set with black stained fingers and pondering just chucking it out.

Automatic fly reels
Post 10 Nov 2011, 16:21 • #23 
Sport
Hello from Australia,
I recently bought a Heddon Automatic fly reel on eBay . It arrived couple of days ago and I'm really impressed with it. Never come across an automatic fly reel in this country. It should be very handy when I'm fishing for trout in the nearby small creeks. I can see me getting another auto reel, maybe new not used. Are the new Pfluegers or Martins any good? I've read differing reports about them, in regards to their quality control and reliability.
Cheers,
Steve

Re: Automatic fly reels
Post 25 Nov 2011, 21:55 • #24 
Master Guide
flyboy912----to clean your H-I reel, you could try soaking it in kerosene or if it is unpainted, you could try carburator cleaner---the spring can be pulled out, but it is very tough to put back in ( I have done it a couple of time and it is no fun)

Re: Automatic fly reels
Post 26 Nov 2011, 08:40 • #25 
Master Guide
(midmofly,
My Heddon came with a flyline, a DTF7 or 6 plus backing and in very good, useable condition. Can you give me an idea how much line and backing the Southbend is likely to hold? I have a spare DT7 I could put on it as well as backing. For some reason, probably its age or vintage, I feel that it should be used with a Level line, especially with the older fibreglass/ composite rod that I'll mate the reel to. I've also have a couple of level lines in 6 & 7 weight coming from the US.
When the Southbend reel arrives and I've had a play with it, I might need to ask you a few questions about it just as I did with the Heddon.)

Steve---
.I believe that the heddon holds more line than the shakespeare---in fact very little if any backing will fit with a 7 wt dt ( I put on about 2 feet of backing, just to tie the line to )---level line even takes up more space

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply