It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Mar 2010, 05:15 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
While perusing the rod photos forum specifically the thread on fighting butts post em up I came across Andymanyankees post that I had somehow previously missed. It reminded me that I have a nice condition Arnold Bivans. And a member of the Classic Flyrod forum was kind enough to copy and mail me the paperwork for the reel.

I had posted a while back that I had this somewhere and that you really need it to properly operate the reel. Well I finally remembered where I put the papers and while I don't have a scanner I was able to shot a photo of the papers.

Hopefully they are readable in the file size afforded by uploading to Yuku. If not I could email them to interested persons or try using Photobucket.

Anyway heres a couple of pics of my reel (not great) and the instructions for these rare but cool reels-

The blue numbers on the bottom are the order of the pages of the original brochure-

Last edited by jeffsod on 14 Mar 2010, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Mar 2010, 05:53 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hello

That's great I never had the paperwork for the reel.

They are truly amazing reels I love mine!

Tight Lines and Bivans Loops

Andy M

Post 14 Mar 2010, 14:06 • #3 
Thanks for posting the instructions! I purchased a Bivans model 15 earlier this year for my "reference collection" of interesting reels and mechanisms. This collection helps inspire my reesmithing. My reel came with 2 different handles/grips. The one attached to the reel is like the one in your photos and all of the other photos I've seen, green plastic. I also got another separate handle that is green painted wood with a more hourglass shape. It is attached to the crank arm that has "Arnold" inscribed on it. If anyone knows anything about these grips, I'd like to know!

cheers,
Michael

Post 14 Mar 2010, 15:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
My pleasure to be able to help out. These reels are rare and from what I have seen usually lacking the original documentation leaving the owners without a clue how they work. At least that was the situation with me. I took the advice of the manufacturers and totally took mine down today. Kind of a washout here anyway so timing was perfect. Mine came out of a second hand shop near the coast and my reel had been used a little in the salt as evidenced by some of the salt crystals I found accumulated inside. But none the worse for wear. These were definetely made to withstand some saltwater usage.

There was a link in the other thread to the codella listing for a narrow model and in is write up he stated the drag was cork. What I found was a large leather washer that could probably be replaced with a piece of cork but it wasn't cork. Mine was a little stiff from the salt but a good rinse took care of it. Nice and pliable and smooth now.

I hope to line it up and fish it this season.

Post 15 Mar 2010, 10:33 • #5 
Emeritus
Very cool, very unique! Thanks for sharing ...

Joe C.

Post 15 Mar 2010, 17:02 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks JeffSod. Now I can take mine apart this time with an understanding of the works. Let us know what rods and lines you end up liking for it.

... and pictures, you know we love pictures.

Post 01 Dec 2010, 17:12 • #7 
Sport
I saw an older post about these reels. I just won a mint condition Arnold from the bay for $8.50! Could you please send me any inf you have? Thanks--Steve

Post 03 Dec 2010, 14:39 • #8 
Sport
I received my reel today ... mine doesn't have the drag lever switch. I couldn't tell in the pictures. The crank was "down" which would have covered the lever. Any info on this model? It must be a cheaper version than the #15? Cool reel anyway ... might find itself on a bamboo rod now and then.

Post 30 Jul 2016, 10:19 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I bumped this topic so the Bivans crowd could get some more info.
They are truly amazing reels way before their time.
Tight Lines And Fish Classic Loops
Andy M

Post 30 Jul 2016, 10:47 • #10 
Guide
FISHON206 wrote:
I received my reel today ... mine doesn't have the drag lever switch. I couldn't tell in the pictures. The crank was "down" which would have covered the lever. Any info on this model? It must be a cheaper version than the #15? Cool reel anyway ... might find itself on a bamboo rod now and then.

I just posted about the #15 I recentl acquired. It doesn't have the drag adjustment button either. I'm thinking that it an earlier model.

Not much info out there and can't find a company history. I'm going to try contacting Bivans to see if they can provide any information.

Post 30 Jul 2016, 13:07 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I see your kinda a recent arrival .
You should use the search feature at the top right of the home page.
Just search Bivans and see what you find.
Here is yet another topic about the reels,we have several more.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18101
Tight Lines And Use The Search Feature Loops
Andy M

Post 30 Jul 2016, 13:24 • #12 
Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
I see your kinda a recent arrival .
You should use the search feature at the top right of the home page.
Just search Bivans and see what you find.
Here is yet another topic about the reels,we have several more.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18101
Tight Lines And Use The Search Feature Loops
Andy M

I did but used the wrong search criteria. Should have used Bivans instead of Arnold.
Thanks

Post 30 Jul 2016, 15:05 • #13 
Guide
Boathouse Rat wrote:
FISHON206 wrote:

I just posted about the #15 I recentl acquired. It doesn't have the drag adjustment button either. I'm thinking that it an earlier model.

Not much info out there and can't find a company history. I'm going to try contacting Bivans to see if they can provide any information.

Mystery ( for me anyway) solved thanks to The Glass Master.

Narrow spool model internal drag adjustment.
Wide spool model external drag adjustment .

New Topic Add Reply