It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:14

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Jan 2024, 16:22 • #1 
Guide
While the anodized versions have been available since December, the nickel finished U24 has just arrived. For a limited time, we're offering a 20% discount on Struble Select Wood Inserts with the purchase of any U24.

Post 21 Jan 2024, 10:42 • #2 
Master Guide
I am curious to know why there seems to be so few down locking reel seat models? Don't think this is unique to Struble but I have found this to be mostly true with other suppliers. Also, most of the time I work on bamboo rods and its sometimes hard to find reelseats with a larger I.D. that may be required for some bamboo rods. Any thoughts?

Post 24 Jan 2024, 17:02 • #3 
Guide
I don't like up-lockers on Bamboo rods. You get better balance with the reel at the end of the seat ,especially on Bamboo.

Post 30 Jan 2024, 19:52 • #4 
Master Guide
My comment regarding bamboo rods has nothing to do with uplocking reel seats. When it comes to bamboo rods I would simply like to see larger I.D. reelseats that would allow me too remove less of the blank . Guess the original poster has lost interest in this?

Post 03 Feb 2024, 12:10 • #5 
Guide
Sorry...I just haven't been on in awhile.

Not sure exactly how to answer the question, but I'll offer this...Leaving aside the personal preferences of builders and the particular advantages of different sizes, there are several realities that constrain us.

The first is the model of Struble reel seat itself. Since we're Struble, we're only interested in bringing Struble models back to market (not that we wouldn't offer new ones at some point), and the four models we have brought back are available in their original configurations. Of those currently offered, the only models Struble made in a downlocking option are the Model 20 and Model 27s (which is a smaller version of the original 27-- same size as the D2s). The 24 and 15LX3 did not have downlocking options; despite this, we are considering a DL option for the 24.

There are also market realities. The simple fact is uplocking reel seats are significantly more popular than downlocking. I think it's safe to say downlocking has enjoyed a bit of a renaissance in the last 7-10 years or so, so we're happy to offer downlocking options; however, with limited finances available (at least for us), the lion's share will go toward uplocking.

The other market reality concerns the diameter. The .640 diameter has become pretty standard-issue, not to mention, again, it was the diameter of the original Struble models we offer (with the exception of the 27s). The .687 diameter is pretty rare and I imagine that is because its popularity with builders/manufacturers waned in favor of the .640 for trout-sized rods years ago.

The other market reality is the inserts. It's hard to make any seat without some kind of plan to make the inserts as well. When considering making seat skeletons in a .687 (or so) size, you also have to ask yourself where will people get the inserts? Overall, inserts are fairly difficult to find in abundance for the .640 models; off the top of my head, I can only think of a few places you can get .687 and they are in short supply and limited wood offerings. I recently shipped 20 old .687 inserts to Japan because a builder there couldn't find any; whereas .640 inserts are in comparative abundance and available from numerous sources in a large variety of wood. Right now, all the old stock .687 inserts we have fit in a shoebox with plenty of room to spare, so not only would making a .687 seat require an investment, but quality inserts would require significant time, planning, and money to prepare as well.

The Struble project has been an interesting one, to say the least; we have learned on the fly, made plenty of missteps, and I don't consider myself an expert on these matters, but have probably thought more about and have more experience on the market side of this than most. We are still only a couple guys in my garage (actually, half my garage)-- and that's not a hipster tagline, it's the truth. We are slowly expanding our offerings but both my partner and I have real jobs (I'm a pastor) and live 800 miles apart; we are pushing the limits of our time, especially now that we've added Trout Smiths (which we have yet to fully launch).

It's definitely not a money-making venture at this point; we do it because we love fly rods and because we've met some incredible people along the way and have yet to have a truly negative interaction with someone (well, maybe one or two), even when we've screwed up. We wish we could offer everything people want, but there simply isn't enough money or time available to us at this point...That said, we have a couple special seats on our minds if the models we've re-introduced do well and one is a .687...We are also exploring some other plans that would materially increase our time and efficiency for both Struble Components and Trout Smiths rods.

Hope this answers your question, at least from our perspective. Thanks for the interest!

Post 04 Feb 2024, 09:07 • #6 
Master Guide
Yes, that answers my questions and I certainly appreciate your help. You really just confirmed what I already know as I've seen this for years. Most companies tend to build what they sell, and that's understandable considering most rod builds are on graphite blanks. Having done this for years now, I buy only the seat parts and turn my inserts myself. Bellinger makes traditional and larger d/l seats but they tend to be fairly expensive. Sounds like you enjoy what your doing, that is so encouraging to see these great Struble designs come back.

New Topic Add Reply