It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:18

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 May 2022, 06:58 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have been working pretty hard getting blanks made up in the Steffen and Trout Smiths brands, which are both unique to themselves. I have finally built up a pretty good stock of Trout Smiths rods that are in the shop and ready to ship immediately... meaning zero wait time as of currently.

These rods are different than what I make for the Steffen brand so they fit into a category for themselves. I also priced them at $498 each to make the price competitive for what I've seen in an American made fiberglass rod market. Although I have seen the prices of several rods continue to rise and several are close or even over a grand now. Is this a value brand? I don't know, I don't think so. All are made by me in a tiny 1000sq foot shop in Michigan and I have the hands to prove it. All the parts I use on these rods are premium, the cork is flor grade, with zero filler, the reel seat hardware is nickel silver with my logo pressed into the end cap on one series and a very nice anodized aluminum set of hardware on the other.

I will continue to work on other taper designs, and I am doing some painting (some I have to have done professionally), that being said I may offer green or yellow rods at some point.

Here is the simple and clean line up for the rods I have for 2022. Currently these rods are listed on my graywolf website. I will build a website for this brand at some point.

Trout Smiths E Glass
This series of uni E glass rods have a wonderful progressive full flexing action and are extremely light in hand. These rods remind me a lot of bamboo. Made in two of my favorite length/line configurations 7ft 4wt & 7ft 5wt. Super rods with hand lapped spigot ferrules, olivewood reel seats, & flor grade cigar grips. I feel these rods are true to the designated line weight. I like Cortland 444 or 406 brand on this line up.

Trout Smiths pack rods
Wow what great rods. Rod blanks are a blend of E & S glass. The action is quick & precise with this series. These rods feel fast in hand but will flex deep as fiberglass should. Super fun rods that are 4pc & pack down to travel anywhere. Simple, clean, clear glass with outstanding wood seats that flow seamlessly into a flor grade Powell style grip & wrapped in blends of orange & olive thread. I cross weight these rods as they do handle both line weights well. Likes DT and WF lines from 406 brand. 6'0" 1/2 & 2/3, 7'0" 3/4, 7'6" 3/4 & 4/5

You will find the complete list of specs, and several more photos on the Trout Smiths page of my website. https://www.graywolfrods.com/troutsmithsrods

And thank you all for your continued support. Shane

Post 26 May 2022, 12:35 • #2 
Guide
the logo pressed into the reel seat cap is a nice touch

Post 28 May 2022, 07:14 • #3 
Master Guide
Beautiful job on those. Olive wood seats? Not sure I have seen those before very nice. Also love the colors on those pack rods …

Post 31 May 2022, 11:23 • #4 
Master Guide
Beautiful work Shane! Love it.
Mark.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 22:07 • #5 
Sport
Hi Shane, will you continue to offer the S Glass line? I believe it has been well received for you and hope you will still pursue it.

Post 05 Jun 2022, 06:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys. Yes olivewood seats on the 3pc E glass rods. Adrien, I am concentrating the S glass to the Steffen Brand line, but the 4pc rods are uni S glass and E glass blend.

Post 05 Jun 2022, 08:49 • #7 
Sport
Thanks for the update on the different series Shane!

Post 06 Jun 2022, 12:08 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Adrien, I take that back now. I was able to get a good price on some S glass, and have been trying to make some bass specific rods for myself. So I think I will be adding some S glass blanks very soon.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 08:36 • #9 
Sport
Thanks again Shane for keeping us updated. Your proprietary S glass tapers that I’ve tried have all been outstanding. I hope you decide to continue offering them in the Trout Smith’s lineup going forward, but I appreciate that you have your hands full with the Steffen lineup now as well ( which are also really incredible rods as we are all aware ).

Post 07 Jun 2022, 13:43 • #10 
Master Guide
Shane, I’m looking forward to building the 4/5 E/S glass blank a got from you recently. I’m planning to use it for some small stream bass around here in Georgia and Alabama.

Sounds like the S glass bass specific rods are in the early stages of development, but I’m interested to hear more about them. Will the bass specific rods be fly rods or casting/spinning rods?

Post 17 Sep 2023, 18:30 • #11 
Guide
Shane, every time I look at your builds, I have to get a towel for drool & hide my wallet beforehand!

Post 24 Sep 2023, 08:53 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the kind words!

AN ANNOUNCEMENT... TROUT SMITHS RODS IS NOW OWNED BY STRUBLE. MORE TO COME SOON I THINK.

New Topic Add Reply