It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:20

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 May 2021, 13:31 • #26 
Master Guide
Congrats
Please bring back the 7‘9“ two piece 3/4 weight.

Post 24 May 2021, 06:51 • #27 
Sport
Wow! Great news!

Congrats, Shane!

Post 25 May 2021, 10:55 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Great News to hear. Congrats Shane!

Post 26 May 2021, 08:01 • #29 
Master Guide
Congratulations Shane and congratulations to Mark & Tim too! Sounds like a win-win-win !
Very excited to see what the future holds.

Post 26 May 2021, 20:15 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations, Shane! Here's wishing you all the best with this great line.

Charlie

Post 29 May 2021, 09:40 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Two class acts now in one place.

Post 03 Jun 2021, 22:32 • #32 
Master Guide
Ooooh I would love to see the 7’9” blanks again. Congratulations Shane, mark and Tim!

Post 07 Jun 2021, 22:23 • #33 
Master Guide
Are these now called Trout Smith? I'm just wondering, I've been trying to build rods lately and wanna try new blanks.

Post 08 Jun 2021, 08:21 • #34 
Guide
No........ from my understanding Shane will be producing the Steffen blanks and complete rods of course. His Troutsmith line is manufactured to his specs; not sure who does that; maybe he does?
I'd call him if you want to know differences; he's a really nice guy to talk to. I purchased a 3wt E glass a couple months ago and have been really enjoying fishing it. Extremely nice craftmanship.

Post 08 Jun 2021, 11:14 • #35 
Sport
Great news! Can any new rod models be called the Steffenwolf "Born to be Wild" series??

Post 13 Jun 2021, 05:43 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks everyone for the kind words and the support. I am working hard to get these amazing blanks and rods rolling. I have a few things to firm up before I am able to make any type of real inventory. I am slowing making a few Steffen glass blanks at this point.

A few things -
(1) I am working through several NOS Steffen Brothers graphite blanks, which I started ferruling yesterday. I plan to keep 2 of each model and will offer the other blanks to rod builders. This is the first task to complete.
(2) The shop I've been working on is so close to being finished. When this is done I will be set up to make blanks at a good pace... I hope.
(3) Trout Smith's is a separate brand that I offer and all three brands graywolf, Trout Smith's and Steffen brothers will be produced on the same equipment and in my Michigan shop.
(4) I have countless mandrels so the requests for certain tapers I've read in these comments can be made.
(5) I will notify on this thread when all things are moving. In the meantime you can email me with questions or sign up for the news letter on my website for updates as I have them.

Thanks again everyone! Shane

Post 14 Jun 2021, 21:44 • #37 
Shortly after finding this site I bought three, 3 piece Steffen Brothers, eight food rods. one was a complete rod the other two were blanks that I learned how to finish out. #1 is 3/4, #2 is a 4/5 and #3 is the 5/6. Really like all of them but my favorite in the 5/6 that I fitted out to be a combo rod for spinning and fly fishing for when on a rough trip with travel weight restrictions. A fiberglass rod with REC Recoil guides and Tennessee grip in a tube is indestructible. Outside the tube it is nearly indestructible. Great for fly fishing up a stream, then at the headwaters spinfishing the source lake.
I, like Crusty Bugger and aurelio corso hope that the new owner doesn't change a thing about the Steffen line. I also hope he can help out those that would like the discontinued rods as Special orders. No doubt they were discontinued for a reason.
Good luck on your new line of rods.
........Barney

Post 15 Jun 2021, 20:08 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Steffen probably stopped making certain models because there were fewer orders for them and it made it simpler for him, not because those models were lesser in any way.

On a different front, I am wondering how Shane can possibly roll rods and keep up with finishing out rods at his current pace which is his expertise. My guess is he is having someone else roll them like McFarland. That would be a good move on his part so I guess it’s who owns the mandrels that counts. But even if that is the case, how could the blanks have identical actions without using the same equipment to apply the same pressures and the roll angles of the prepreg? As close as the actions may be, I am dubious how close they can be without the master creator doing the work with original equipment. Well if it it is McFarland, he’s the only one I know who could get close, at least on this continent.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 20:18 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Crusty, It's hard work and I am busy but I'll manage.

Your guess is incorrect. I have all the original equipment, mandrels and the fiberglass material here in Michigan. None is in PA. There is no need to try and make something similar... I will be making the exact same blanks on the exact same equipment and with the exact same prepeg. Pressures? Roll angles? neither of those are factors.

Post 15 Jun 2021, 22:52 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the clarification, Shane. I’m anxious to see what your hands produce in this added new venture with your established high quality and output.

Post 16 Jun 2021, 05:25 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Sir!

Post 21 Jun 2021, 14:29 • #42 
Sport
This is awesome. Congratulations!

Post 21 Jun 2021, 19:55 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Shane wrote:
I have all the original equipment, mandrels and the fiberglass material here in Michigan.

That's a big accomplishment (and shipping bill). I wish you the best and hope you get everything set up and start getting production blanks out of the shop soon.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 07:17 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations and well done Shane. I guess your fishing trips now qualify as R&D.

Post 22 Jun 2021, 15:39 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations Shane, can't wait to see where you go with these.

Post 21 Sep 2021, 22:19 • #46 
Master Guide
I haven't been active on the site for awhile, yet I must comment. Mark sent me a blank to finish out in honor of my Afghanistan service; that's just the kind of guy he is (Thanks again Mark). I have now several Steffen rods and all are very fine indeed. I wish the Steffen brothers joy in their retirements and wish the rod line a successful continuance in Shane's hands. Bob

Post 05 Oct 2021, 12:47 • #47 
Sport
Good stuff!

Post 16 Oct 2021, 08:15 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
An update on the Continuation of the Steffen Brothers fly rods brand and legacy.

I have a new logo for this Legendary brand.

And a new coming soon webpage - https://www.steffenrods.com/

Thank you all, for the continued support.

Shane Gray

Post 10 Nov 2021, 08:38 • #49 
Master Guide
I’m a Graywolf fan. Almost from the first day I got interested in fiberglass, I have been lusting after and buying rods from Shane. When the news broke about the Steffen Bros acquisition, I figured it would be a matter of (little) time and I’d add my first Steffen to my collection. However, I did not expect is that it would be a graphite that would be the first trigger pull.

Then Shane posted pictures of his NOS Steffen graphite rods, those beautiful dark blue blanks with spigot ferrules. I saw that 7’6” 2/3 with Flor grade western grip, uplocking black reel seat with variegated thread white, dark and light blue wraps and I was sold.

The rod arrived at the start of my current visit to Mississippi.
Boasting a medium fast action, I paired it up with the new Ross Colorado click pawl reel that I had lined with DT2F 406 Vintage went out looking for panfish and bass. It casts exactly where you point it.

I changed flies to a weighted leech to get something larger to toss, and decided to throw out a little deeper. Fun surprise catch: Pup redfish on! Two weight line and trout 4x
leader. Not expecting a saltwater biggie.
Quite a fight but this rod handled it like a champ.

Here’s the fly after the catch.
These Graywolf Steffen graphite rods are fantastic sticks. Bravo, Shane.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 14:07 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
OUSTANDING SIR!

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply