It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:38

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Mar 2021, 11:26 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone out there is doing well. Everything here is going well. I was able to fish for the first time since December last week and it was absolutely wonderful. I’m busier than ever with rod orders and I am so very grateful for that. Due to the pandemic, there have been significant supply chain delays over the past year that have slowed me down. Frustrating for you, I’m sure, and certainly frustrating for me.

At this point, I am working at least 4 months out for the completion of new orders and some of my current orders have been waiting longer than that! This is longer than I am comfortable with for several reasons.

One: I don’t like making people wait for their rods. As Jud says, ‘T'int right t'int fair t'int fit t'int proper.’

Two: I don’t like spreadsheets. Especially ones that go on too long and are just a bunch of blocks, numbers, and words, like my current spreadsheet of orders which now doesn’t fit on one screen. It just isn’t right. Even though this sheet contains meaningful content, the impersonality of it distracts me from the whole idea of why I build fly rods for a living, to begin with. I enjoy the connection with each and every one of you who orders a rod from me and am afraid that this is slipping because I am too busy.

Three: Fishing. I want to make sure I get in enough fishing this spring, as that’s another main reason I build rods and I know that when I have time to fish and test and use new rods it always makes me a better rod builder, and person in general. According to my family, fishing also makes me a more pleasant dad and husband, too.

Because of this, I am taking a temporary time-out on taking any new orders so I can catch up on existing orders effective 19 March 2021. I will announce here, as well as elsewhere on my website and the other places in internet land, when I open up to new orders after I am able to catch up.

I am grateful to be able to build fly rods for a living and feel tremendously blessed at the abundance of orders and interest I’ve had in this past year, especially when I know so many folks have faced job losses and other hardships in the face of the pandemic. I truly appreciate everyone’s support and understanding about this and will plan to make a good bit of headway on my current orders over the next several weeks so I can open up some build spots for new orders. And just to make sure y’all don’t think I’m going full hermit and will go underground for the next few weeks, if you have questions about rods or current orders please feel free to contact me.

Thanks, again, so much! I hope each of you enjoys a great season ahead.

Chris

Post 17 Mar 2021, 12:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry to hear about the supply chain issues - busy is a good problem to have, sorta.
As a bright side of busy, you can take huge pride in the rods you made/make and will make, as popularity is a sure sign of respect for the great fishing tools!
Be safe and well bud.

Post 17 Mar 2021, 12:58 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks John! I really do appreciate the kind words.

Post 17 Mar 2021, 16:05 • #4 
Guide
Chris, I can’t imagine you being anything but a pleasant Dad and Husband !!!

Post 17 Mar 2021, 20:49 • #5 
Master Guide
You're a good man, Chris! ...and I love your rods. All the best!

Post 17 Mar 2021, 21:20 • #6 
Guide
You deserve to hit the water, Chris! I got out for the first time this year recently and loved it. So important for helping to refresh and reset, especially during these hectic times. Stay well!

Post 18 Mar 2021, 07:52 • #7 
Master Guide
I had the pleasure of purchasing one of Chris’s early 7’10” 5 wght, and his 8’3” 5 is on my want list big time. My experience, and previous communication, was simply spectacular and easy.
While my professional career is in health care, I recognize immediately sincerity by any provider to either a client or patients. This disclosure by Chris is simply first class.

Post 20 Mar 2021, 13:32 • #8 
Guide
Chris
Having talked with you on the phone and purchased several rods from you over the years I have come to respect your character as well as your ability to build a fine fly rod. Your head and your heart are leading you to do things as they should be done. Hopefully this will pass soon...hang in there and fish when you can. I will need another fly rod!
Carl
Willis, Tx

Post 20 Mar 2021, 15:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
This too shall pass. Rods worth waiting for. My two rods from Chris get fished more than any others.

Post 20 Mar 2021, 17:58 • #10 
Guide
Chris, you are a great guy. This will pass, and you will be out fishing and building rods as you used to. Hang in there buddy! By the way I got out and fished the 84 today and had a blast catching some bluegills!!

Mike

Post 20 Mar 2021, 19:49 • #11 
Guide
Time for that hike to the upper Los Pinos , followed by a plate of chicken fried steak and some frosties at the Lake House Restaurant !!!

Post 21 Mar 2021, 06:46 • #12 
Master Guide
Cast one of your new rods yesterday and pleased to share the increase in demand has not diminished the quality of the fly rods you produce. We all could benefit from more time fly fishing. Respect your choice. Have a great spring.

Post 22 Mar 2021, 10:22 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I guess his hats are easier to make got one 4 days ,thanks Chris........Aurelio

Post 23 Mar 2021, 09:06 • #14 
Sport
Enjoy your time Chris. Love looking at your rods and your work. Keep it up and get some fishing in!

Post 23 Mar 2021, 09:14 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the kind words and support!
cb

Post 23 Mar 2021, 12:39 • #16 
Guide
If there ever was a good reason to take a break from new orders, having so many orders to fill is it.

Glad to see you been busy during these times.

-Ruff

Post 14 Apr 2021, 07:06 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
All the best Chris - wise move, and may the fish bite.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 12:16 • #18 
Guide
Chris, I call what you are facing a "good problem"...well deserved after years of building great rods. Enjoy the fishing...and "slow down":)

Chuck

Post 18 Apr 2021, 14:59 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the kind words and support! I made some great headway on rod orders and still was able to go fishing a few times and enjoy a few days of spring break camping with my family. Hence, I’m happy to announce that I’m opening up new orders again and this will be reflected everywhere possible - on my website and other places - as of today.

Thanks for your patience and support, and good fishing!

Chris

Post 19 Apr 2021, 09:26 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
WoW! That was scary. Good to know your up and running again. :)

Post 20 Apr 2021, 07:24 • #21 
Sport
Rejoice! I’ll be contacting you soon! I feel I need a GP in my life!

Post 23 Apr 2021, 06:18 • #22 
Guide
Everything in Moderation Chris , But Everything !!! Great News , enjoy it All !!!

Post 21 May 2021, 10:46 • #23 
Guide
Great news Chris! I am glad you’re back and running! We need you to be around to supply us with glass fly rods “we’ve got to have”.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 16:35 • #24 
Master Guide
Glad you are back, Chris but Shutting down was actually good for my marriage … when my wife sees a bill for $800 soon she is going to be pi$$ed …. But you don’t live forever ….

New Topic Add Reply