It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:01

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Apr 2019, 05:33 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi everyone,

We just received a shipment of our new Reed 6' 2/3wt. blank and kits. For those of you familiar with the (Olive 6' blank) the new blank is a updated version. It features tip over ferrules and smooth progressive action, and a translucent "smoke" finish. You can find the blank and the kits at the links below:

Blank:
https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collections/fiberglass-blanks/products/olive-6-2-wt-fiberglass-blank

Kit:
https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collections/proof-kits/products/olive-6-2-wt-component-kit-1
All of our kits can be fully customized. You can select guides, reel seat, and grip. You can also add a custom label.

Post 04 Apr 2019, 19:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Just curious how did you come up with the name Reed ?

Post 05 Apr 2019, 07:48 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Whats Next A New Line Of Imports Called Herters ?
Tight Lines And Reed Classic Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 05 Apr 2019, 07:55 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi Andy,

That's a new one for me. Good to see you posting again.

Post 05 Apr 2019, 08:19 • #5 
Master Guide
I can’t resist....

Why not just call them Winnston just add a extra N no one will know the difference!

All kidding aside now ...

Why name them after a defunct tackle company that made some of the nicest blanks in the business?

I could see if the name was conceived becausse it’s a local creek you fish or one of your kids names maybe perhaps....

You knew what Andy was saying you just didn’t want to answer the uncomfortable question

Post 05 Apr 2019, 08:58 • #6 
Master Guide
lol. Interesting. Never heard of the "Reed" company. My wife actually came up with the name.

Post 05 Apr 2019, 09:02 • #7 
Master Guide
Mystery Solved !

Post 05 Apr 2019, 16:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Yes I'm still alive .
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9145
Tight Lines And Sell Sell Sell Loops
Andy M

Post 06 Apr 2019, 12:10 • #9 
Master Guide
So let me get this straight.
10 years ago someone assembles rods on a 35 year old blank made by Reed tackle.
Now a supplier offers up a blank that is not even the same length and weigth as the other guys. His wife names it after a streamside grass.
Now people are calling fowl? Did I get it right?
Just asking for a friend.

Post 06 Apr 2019, 12:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
No, you did not get it right. Many more rods were assembled on the excellent Reed tackle blanks than that, and by more builders than that. Far more, quite likely, than assembled on some currently manufactured blanks. There isn't always a trademark, though, in a product's time, let alone decades later.

It happens, as we discovered through the query and the response, that product names get re-used with no ill-well and no disrespect intended. It is a charming name with pleasant associations with nature, and it makes perfect sense that someone would think of it.

It also happens that people who remember the world as it existed before millennials were born wonder if a name is being reused without due regard for its origins. It makes perfect sense that they would want to know, and now we found out as a result of the query.

Product names and images are important to buyers and sellers, and sometimes for different reasons. When they become iconic, they are more important, and in many product realms, people pay good money to protect them, promote them, and, in some cases, argue about them in legal proceedings. But realize that even when a product name is used innocently, sometimes it is dropped on request of the user claiming more authenticity or upon assertion of trademark rights. I don't see that here, but it is reasonable to ask.

Just as an example, suppose a contemporary importer/manufacturer/builder has the name Phillipson, Fisher, Scott, Morgan, Tom and so on. Or their favorite third-grade teacher was named Thomas. Or their favorite angling mentor was named Leonard. They might very well want to name a product accordingly. If you saw the product, wouldn't you wonder?

Thanks to the discussion, we all found out.

Post 06 Apr 2019, 13:15 • #11 
Master Guide
Reid... calamity averted

Post 06 Apr 2019, 13:24 • #12 
Master Guide
Reed

Post 06 Apr 2019, 13:45 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Reed +2
Read up on Reed, and you will understand the concern of those in the know.

Post 06 Apr 2019, 20:57 • #14 
Guide
This all seems a little over the top reaction to a blank name that had been used many years ago and the company is long out of business. Never heard of the company much less the blank, with a google search I did find some info regarding the supplies side of the business, but only one post that mentioned rods/blanks being supplied. With the world we live in it is surely difficult to name a product with a name the might be truly original so I am of the mindset that it was purely coincidental. But I'm also of the mind that everyone should be free to state their feelings on a subject.
With that all that said the only other thing I will say is that I own a 1933 Mercury and it wasn't built, assembled or sold by any division of the Ford Motor Company. Google it if you would like to know the story of the first Mercury car. If two major auto manufactures shared a name not sure there should be so much angst over some small businesses doing the same.

Post 06 Apr 2019, 21:40 • #15 
Master Guide
Sorry to get off topic..,

Let’s just say in the fly fishing business companies come and go some leave a real lasting impression some not so much.

I don’t mean this to come off as a knock on any of the current small rod makers we have today.

Hypothetically speaking say in 15-20 years from now there is no Barclay,Graywolf or ********* rod company’s around and I hope that is not the case!

Would it be ok if a company comes out with a line of blanks and names them Barclay,Greywolf or ********* and just use the excuses well I never heard of them before...

Do some research know your history

Not trying to knock Matt’s other products I just have a slight issue with this one

Post 07 Apr 2019, 06:24 • #16 
Sport
If you have in your business name called "reed" "vapor" and a " very or since similar reel seat"
the question of Andy "Whats Next A New Line Of Imports Called Herters ?" is not right?

"To think badly it is a sin, but often you will guess" ( quote G.Andreotti italian poltic)

Post 07 Apr 2019, 07:07 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." :)
--Oscar Wilde

I will probably order one of these kits at some point, the blank sounds nice for early season creek fishing in our coastal mountains.

Post 07 Apr 2019, 07:55 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you, Odanta. Pacesetters do need to realize, protect the pace or recognize that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In this situation, though, it seems there wasn't even any imitation. Sometimes, people do think of similar things for completely different reasons.

On the other hand, junior needs to realize that just because he has never heard of something does not mean it doesn't or didn't exist and isn't or wasn't important to someone. I was blessed to know two of Maine's best fly tiers, both gone now, and both who gave generously of their knowledge and skill. It is a tribute that their names are still used on the patterns they perfected. I have one pretty darn good pattern inspired by what they taught me, but I darn well wouldn't put their name on it, nor mine, and if anybody asked me, I'd name both as the design inspiration. If I saw their names used on flies I knew they had nothing to do with, I would be past annoyed. But they had fairly common names, so, as in this situation, there could be a simple explanation.

Ironically, Herter's more than tickled the line of encroachment on somebody else's mastery. The "Rolls" fly reel was an example, but there are hundreds of "imitation . . . flattery" in their catalog, since they were early to import Asian goods. All Herter's knives, for example (I have several), were the best in the world, but don't tell that to a custom knife-maker of the time.

Anyhow, the question has been reasonably asked and reasonably answered above, so let's leave future comments, if any, about the new product.

Post 08 Apr 2019, 12:32 • #19 
Master Guide
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. Bringing the original announcement full circle: The new blank is a lot of fun to fish. I had mine out yesterday with my kids and we managed to land eight bluegills. For those who have taken issue with the name of the blank, please note that I ship all blanks with labels that can but do not have to be used. So if the name “reed” is offensive please feel free to call the blank whatever you like. At the end of the day I do appreciate a history lesson.

Post 08 Apr 2019, 22:13 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the review Matt! Sounds like a fun rod!

Post 11 Apr 2019, 11:34 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I bought three of these blanks from Matt today. Interested in seeing something new. I've been wanted to build some 2wts, and the blank color is interesting.

Post 12 Apr 2019, 11:04 • #22 
Master Guide
Matt, does the rod cast best with a 3 or 2 wt?
Thanks,

Tim

Post 12 Apr 2019, 11:44 • #23 
Master Guide
Hi,
I tried it with a Cortland 444 DT 2wt and an S.A. AMPLITUDE in a WF 3wt. They both worked fine, but I liked the 3wt. better.

Post 12 Apr 2019, 13:13 • #24 
Master Guide
Shane are you going to offer finished rods for sale ?

Post 12 Apr 2019, 13:21 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Lordideme wrote:
Shane are you going to offer finished rods for sale ?

I think so. Have to check the blanks out first.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply