It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:36

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Mar 2019, 18:07 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Nice old wooden desk!

Post 04 Mar 2019, 11:58 • #52 
Guide
The fly rod building community is quite diverse. Many of us have built fly rods made from various materials over the years, including fiberglass. There’s a healthy competition, or challenge, among fly rod builders and we all benefit via improvement in our methods.

Even with this competition going on fly rod builders of all types rally around each other, voicing support when someone like Dusty builds his brand and expands his product lines and facility. A very good thing.

Good luck Dusty, I’m hoping to sample one of your rods someday.

Jeff

Post 27 Mar 2019, 08:49 • #53 
Just got in my new 866 Dusty wrapped in the new facility! My expectations were exceeded and I am blown away by the action and accuracy I am already getting out of this blank. I can't wait to get her wet and see what she can really do. Thanks, Dusty.

Post 27 Mar 2019, 08:53 • #54 
Master Guide
What are you doing for ventilation?

Post 27 Mar 2019, 23:06 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
I don’t have to do much for ventilation yet. The space is rather large and most of the chemicals I use don’t emit a lot of fumes.

Post 28 Mar 2019, 18:35 • #56 
Guide
wpflyguy, please give me and other members here your review of dustys 6 wt. Im really looking for a nice six weight to fish the hex and some light streamer fishing here in Michigan.
Thanks, Mike.

Post 28 Mar 2019, 20:30 • #57 
Guide
partsman wrote:
wpflyguy, please give me and other members here your review of dustys 6 wt. Im really looking for a nice six weight to fish the hex and some light streamer fishing here in Michigan.
Thanks, Mike.

Mike,
I can't speak to his 866 (3 Piece) but I have one of Dusty's 896 Four Piece rods and while I haven't fished it, lawn (snow) casting has been a pleasant experience. While Dusty indicates this rod is "Medium-Fast", it loads into the butt section with 30-35 feet of line out the tip (406 DT6F) and turns over a 12' leader gently. It's more flexable than either my FF85-3 (6 wt Fenwick) or a Larry Kenney built Fisher blank, 8 1/2' 6 wt which has been my driftboat rod...until now, waiting to get the 896 into the boat for big stonefly nymphs in April & May.

If this 896 of Dusty's is "Medium-Fast", the 863 he built me last year as a spring creek rod is slow, not even close to medium.

Post 05 Apr 2019, 09:38 • #58 
Sport
Congrats, Dusty!

Post 05 Apr 2019, 13:05 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
pgwulf wrote:
partsman wrote:
... the 863 he built me last year as a spring creek rod is slow, not even close to medium.

I had to chime in here :)

The 863 is not slow, it has a soft tip while mid and certainly the butt section has tremendous power. This makes this rod quite different if not unique. The rod casts very delicate up to 25 ft, but the strong butt section kicks in when casting well up to 50-60 ft.

The soft tip will collapse (resulting in tailing loops) if you force the tip (typical of casting with fast graphite rods) on the longer distances. The casting stroke needs to be lengthened more as well use the stronger butt section to get the rod moving. You also need to slow down on the casting, especially the back cast, to allow the loop to unroll fully. Make a smooth very straight stroke not to mess up the delivery. When done correctly the line flies to the destination like a jet!

Post 05 Apr 2019, 15:26 • #60 
Guide
ibookje wrote:
pgwulf wrote:
partsman wrote:
... the 863 he built me last year as a spring creek rod is slow, not even close to medium.

I had to chime in here :)

The 863 is not slow, it has a soft tip while mid and certainly the butt section has tremendous power. This makes this rod quite different if not unique. The rod casts very delicate up to 25 ft, but the strong butt section kicks in when casting well up to 50-60 ft.

The soft tip will collapse (resulting in tailing loops) if you force the tip (typical of casting with fast graphite rods) on the longer distances. The casting stroke needs to be lengthened more as well use the stronger butt section to get the rod moving. You also need to slow down on the casting, especially the back cast, to allow the loop to unroll fully. Make a smooth very straight stroke not to mess up the delivery. When done correctly the line flies to the destination like a jet!

I completely agree Jay.

Post 02 May 2019, 18:03 • #61 
Guide
Congratulations, I hope you are getting out fishing and not working all the time.

Post 02 May 2019, 20:02 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
Great news! Good for you.

Les

Post 03 May 2019, 04:21 • #63 
Sport
Sounds great Dusty! All the best for the future and for your rod building

Post 03 May 2019, 08:47 • #64 
Sport
Congrats! best of luck.

-Graham

Post 06 May 2019, 08:53 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Gosh there have been some nicely done descriptions and displays of these rods. Personally, I like that they are presented as what I'll call "unabashed 'glass"--the material chosen for its characteristics and the situations where fiberglass rods are not a funky, "retro" alternative to graphite, but an excellent choice in and of themselves. It's nice to see more and more 'glass rods presented in this way. I don't know if that's *********'s planned marketing strategy, or just the natural outcome of knowing 'glass rods, but that's the way it comes across to me each time I look over something about this product here or elsewhere on the web.

Post 13 May 2019, 00:17 • #66 
Master Guide
Congrats on the expansion and thanks for the service with my rod. Really looking forward to getting it onto the McCloud in a couple of weeks. If I can drag my butt down from Missoula when I am visiting my folks, I will definitely stop by.

Cheers,

Post 17 May 2019, 14:33 • #67 
Inactive
Saw some Livingstons in the flesh at Dette Flies in the Catskills yesterday. Very, very nice. Wish I had time to cast one.

Post 21 May 2019, 11:22 • #68 
Master Guide
I wanted to add that Dusty built me one of his 8ft 6wts and it is such a great casting taper! I use it for stream bass and it loads perfectly up close and at distances while laying the flies down accurately. it also has the power to push bigger bugs that are often needed for these fish. I can't imagine a better hopper rod in my opinion!

Imagesmallies19 by brandon bailes, on Flickr

Image201910 by brandon bailes, on Flickr

Post 21 May 2019, 13:50 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
Yep Dusty’s rods are exceptional!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply