It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:36

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 04 Jul 2018, 11:19 • #1 
Master Guide
I wanted to let this forum community know my status as a rodbuilder... I will no longer be building fly rods in a commercial capacity. There's a few reasons that have led to this decision, but I will keep them to myself. I have reached out to a few rodbuilders, to offer a hand in designs and/or opinions (if they would ever want to seek that from me).

With that said, I do have something ongoing in development! I have some blanks (U.S. manufacturer) on the way to me. I will be cutting the one piece blanks and fitting all the ferrules very soon. This series will start as twenty rods, more to follow if there is a calling for them. These rods will be sold as fund raising for Project Healing Waters. The cost of the rods are to be determined, but here's how I intend to breakdown the cost of the rods... the materials (my cost), taxes, and the shipping to the buyer will be reimbursed to me. This will allow me to keep this all going. The labor costs will be part of the price of the rod, but all the labor portion will go towards the donation to PHWFF.

For the details of the series, the rod will be a 7'3"-#4-4pc. fiberglass (e-glass) blank. Sanded black blank with hand fitted spigot ferrules. The reel seat will be a REC cap and ring with a Spanish Cedar insert. The cork is vintage flor grade, all turned in my shop. REC winding check, Mildrum SRMC stripping guide, Perfection (old stock) snake guides. Rod bag (will announce by who once I secure an order), and a REC rod tube. Each rod will come with a hand written letter, in which will inform the buyer where his or her monies went, and a thank you for the purchase. The rod will be built in my "classic" manner and will be at home on those "little rivers" we all enjoy. They are meant to be fished.

If the series is something that interests you, send a PM and I will keep you informed on the progress. I do not plan to advertise much. I hope to put together a build list for the greater portion of the series, if there are rods leftover... I will look into other means to use them as raising funds for PHWFF (raffles, auctions, etc.). My goal is to be able to help our veterans through Project Healing Waters, by providing donations to keep the programs going.

Re: FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 04 Jul 2018, 11:39 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry to hear, sir, that you'll no longer build rods commercially. Yours are some of the best in our community. Here's wishing you the best of success in the PHWFF venture; it's a great cause.

Post 04 Jul 2018, 17:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That makes me really regret that I simply forgot to ask about your 7’ 5 wt at the recent clave, although maybe it was already too late. So many rods there, so much frenzy before for me to even get the trip in. Next time I’m at a clave, I’ll have a list of questions and casting desires written out. Glad I at least got the 8 footer when I did.

And it’s a good day to note that your future efforts will benefit PHWFF. A very good cause.

Post 05 Jul 2018, 05:59 • #4 
Master Guide
Fred, I have long admired your work as a rod builder and taper designer. Your generosity in supporting Healing Waters as well as other important causes in the past has been most impressive. Best of luck with this patriotic fundraising project.

Post 05 Jul 2018, 07:20 • #5 
Guide
+1

Post 05 Jul 2018, 08:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
+2

Post 06 Jul 2018, 18:19 • #7 
Master Guide
Good luck in your new endeavors Fred.

Post 06 Jul 2018, 19:14 • #8 
Master Guide
Fred, you know how I feel about you as a person and the quality of your rods. Owning your build of the Brown series, two blanks (The One and 8’3”)built by Leiderman, and the last Lemon Drop by BobHa. They are masterpieces in glass tapers.
I do respect what you are doing as my professional services have been donated recently to a young Marine thru a program called RAW(Rebuild American Warriors), I have never had more pride in my 38 year career.
I send my sincere wishes on your success. God Bkess!

Post 06 Jul 2018, 20:17 • #9 
Guide
Caught four nice brook trout today on a Paddock rod. Thanks, Fred.

Post 07 Jul 2018, 05:52 • #10 
Guide
Thanks Fred for all of your great designs and for what you are doing. I'm proud to have met you.

Post 08 Jul 2018, 05:17 • #11 
Sport
Partner with a larger rod manufacturer where they build rods with your tapers. You'll receive an income stream to help your cause and those excellent tapers will grow to a wider clientele. As the popularity of the tapers gets the recognition they deserve, you, the fly fishing world, the veterans and their loved ones all win.

Post 08 Jul 2018, 08:41 • #12 
Master Guide
I too have always appreciated your work and respect your desire to give back. God bless you Fred.

Post 09 Jul 2018, 13:18 • #13 
Guide
It is a privilege to have learned a bit of your character through writings on this forum, and an honor to own a number of fly rods you have crafted. As a DAV I applaud your newest venture. I wish you the best.

Carl

Post 09 Jul 2018, 19:27 • #14 
Master Guide
Kudos for helping out Project Healing Waters.

Post 11 Jul 2018, 18:12 • #15 
Master Guide
Blanks and ferrule stock arrived today... I'm pleased with them all, they look great and the "wiggle test" has a good feel. Plan to cut and ferrule a few and get started. I should have a sample (will keep for myself) to show the details of the builds and how the rod performs.
Thank you to everyone for the kind words. I look forward to building up this bunch of rods, getting them out to the public, and giving all profits to PHWFF.

Post 29 Oct 2018, 06:49 • #16 
Likewise, thank you for what you have contributed to the rodmaking community and to fly fishing; I appreciate your admirable decision to direct your talents to PHWFF in support of our veterans. The PHW events I have attended have been wonderful, every one.

Post 29 Oct 2018, 07:06 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry to hear. Glad I have a couple of your builds.
Good fortune to you.

Post 03 Feb 2019, 11:35 • #18 
Master Guide
It's been a while, but here's the update on this project. To be honest, there was only two orders. I was hoping for a better turnout, but so it goes. Due to family health and my work schedule, I'm just getting to completion of these builds. I want to thank those who supported the project. And their patience for waiting on me to get the builds going.
On the other side... I have been able to purchase and donate several Flex Coat rod building stations, burnishers, scissors, mixing cups, brushes, threads, and misc. components to PHW. I am the lead for the rod building program for the Roanoke and New River Valley PHW, we have started the 2019 classes. It's been my honor to volunteer my time for the rod building and fly tying efforts thus far. I look forward to fishing with the veterans and hope to secure some private water for them to access. This chapter is very active and we have a great group of volunteers and veterans. Definitely a rewarding experience.
ImageP2021187 by Fred Paddock, on Flickr

Last edited by fred1369 on 03 Feb 2019, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Feb 2019, 11:58 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice Fred.

Post 03 Feb 2019, 12:30 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful work, and for a good cause.

Post 03 Feb 2019, 16:08 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
That's fantastic Fred! Thanks for the update!

Post 03 Feb 2019, 19:02 • #22 
Master Guide
The rod looks great Fred. The work you're doing giving back is really something to be proud of.

Post 04 Feb 2019, 04:10 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hope everything goes well for the family. Sounds great for the Project!

Bob

Post 04 Feb 2019, 09:39 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice and for a great cause!

Post 05 Feb 2019, 18:51 • #25 
Guide
Awesome to hear the good work your doing Fred. I am really enjoying the 7’4” 4 weight that I bought from you. Hope all is well with you and your family.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply