It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:16

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Approach Genesis Reels
Post 11 Jul 2017, 08:56 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi everyone,
I am happy to announce that Proof is now stocking the Approach Genesis line of Reels. We currently have all seven colors in stock. The reels also qualify for free shipping. You can find the lineup and specs. here: https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collections/reels-leaders

Post 11 Jul 2017, 09:03 • #2 
Sport
oh dang. Just what I needed- an easy to buy (domestic!) beautiful reel!

Post 11 Jul 2017, 09:19 • #3 
Master Guide
Hi Matt,

Curious as to the origin of manufacture. Quite nice looking reels.

Marty

Post 11 Jul 2017, 10:17 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi Marty,

I purchase the reels from the designer who has them machined and finished in Taiwan. The reels are produced in very limited numbers, around 100-150, per year.

Post 11 Jul 2017, 17:03 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
What do the insides look like?

Post 11 Jul 2017, 17:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Those look super nice, and I like the photos on the site of the insides.

Post 11 Jul 2017, 17:26 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks.

Post 11 Jul 2017, 20:15 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Matt,
I've been admiring these reels since I first saw a picture of them on this forum. I was tempted to order one, but shipping from Europe or Taiwan was a little steep. You just made it possible, and my order is already in. I've always needed a bright orange reel. Now if you just had a red one also, I would have both of our state universities covered, depending which side of my family I was visiting.

Larry

Post 11 Jul 2017, 20:46 • #9 
Master Guide
These look great, Matt. Love the colors.

Post 12 Jul 2017, 07:42 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks everyone.

Post 12 Jul 2017, 10:12 • #11 
Master Guide
Matt, Very nice looking reels. Any thoughts about adding some larger sizes or a model with an adjustable drag? Also what is the capacity of the reels. Thanks

Post 12 Jul 2017, 10:15 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The idea is to keep the reels simple. Adding adjustable drags and multiple sizes and styles will make things difficult to stay affordable. Who needs another TFO, Redington, Allen, etc reel?...

Post 12 Jul 2017, 15:24 • #13 
Guide
I'm with Canoeman1947. I've always needed a bright orange reel ( I just didn't know it until i saw this one...) My order is in too. I'll look forward to fishing it as soon as it arrives.

Cheers.

Post 12 Jul 2017, 21:39 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Gordon,
Although we have never met, I can tell already that you are a man of discernment and exquisite taste in reels.

Larry

Post 13 Jul 2017, 09:31 • #15 
Master Guide
Thanks for all the feedback. Right now there are no plans to offer the reel in larger sizes. I have been in contact with the designer regarding a 5/6wt. and possibly a 8/9 wt., but that could take some time.

Post 13 Jul 2017, 17:21 • #16 
Guide
Thanks Matt. How about the other model with the ported frame and spool?

Post 13 Jul 2017, 17:45 • #17 
Master Guide
I can certainly order one. Please pm me asap

Post 13 Jul 2017, 19:04 • #18 
Master Guide
Is the drag adjustable from the backside of the reel?
And how about some line capacity information & pictures of the back of the reel.
Nice lookin reels

Post 13 Jul 2017, 19:30 • #19 
Master Guide
I have pictures of the back and inside of the reel on my site. You can see it here:

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collect ... ls-leaders

The reels can accommodate lines from 2-4wt. Because backing is more of a space filler on lightweight reels I don't have backing capacity. I can say with a 4wt line I put about 50' of backing and it holds the line very well.

Post 13 Jul 2017, 19:49 • #20 
Master Guide
So from the pictures the drag is adjustable internally not from the back of the reel?
You didn't answer that question
Thx

Post 13 Jul 2017, 19:57 • #21 
Master Guide
Sorry, missed you first question. The drag can be adjusted internally.

Post 16 Jul 2017, 08:01 • #22 
Guide
I received a package from Matt on Friday containing my new orange Approach reel. Thought I'd post a few impressions. First, Matt shipped this reel immediately after I placed the order. I mean, within a couple of minutes I had an order confirmation and a tracking number. It arrived as scheduled 2 days later via USPS Priority. While I savor the anticipation after I order a new piece of gear, I also like to get it in my hands quickly. Matt certainly delivered on that front.

My first impression of the reel is very positive. The size is in between a Flyweight and Featherweight. It's solidly constructed and the anodizing is very well done. Color is very consistent and quite true to the photos on the website. I've fished the reel several times and there are no nicks, rubs or blemishes on the outside of the reel. I'm confident that the finish will hold up as long as I don't abuse the reel by dropping it or scraping it on rocks/sand.

The click is pleasing to the ear, similar to my Hardy lightweights. I find the drag slightly stronger and just a tad louder than my Hardys. That is likely due to the Approach being brand new and my Hardy's all being 50+ years old. If you like to hear your drag you'll like this. If you're not a fan of the click, this one isn't for you.

The reel foot fit well on the several rods I tried it on, including a couple of Barclays, a Bob Summers midge and a WInston graphite.

The spool mounts solidly and it comes off very easily with the Hardy-style spring. My spool held 50 yards of light (I think 20#) backing plus a full TFO WF4 line.

The only issue, which I consider to be very minor, is that the spool rubs ever so slightly on one of the drag pawls. It rubbed a circle on the inside of the spool. Not a big deal to me as it's not visible unless the reel is disassembled but worth noting as the only flaw I've found so far.

I've got the reel mounted on a Barclay 64P, which it balances perfectly. I really like the color combo of orange with the dark stout blank. I'm quite certain that the fish I catch also appreciate the classy color scheme.

I've caught a bunch of nice bluegills with this setup but nothing yet that has required putting the fish on the reel. Maybe soon I'll hook into a big momma bass and can give the click drag a true test. I'm very confident that it will prevent a strong fish from over running the spool and making a birds nest.

All in all I'm very pleased with the Approach and I feel like its a very good reel for the price. Solid construction with pretty good fit and finish and the color choices really make this reel stand out.

These are the impressions of a thoroughly non-professional reel reviewer. Hopefully I hit on some helpful insights. If there is anything I've left out or anything you'd like to know I'm happy to share more.

Cheers.

Post 16 Jul 2017, 08:09 • #23 
Guide
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Couldn't figure out how to add photos to my previous reply....

Post 16 Jul 2017, 17:49 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I would like to add my thanks to Matt. I ordered immediately after I saw his post announcing these reels. I had a confirmation within minutes, and had the reel in my hands on Friday evening, less than two days later. Now that is quick service. I had a chance to fish mine yesterday, also for bluegills. Looked like it was made to match my new Maxcatch rod. Should look great with several of my light rods. Looks and feels great. Personally I like the clicker, not nearly as loud as a Martin MG-3.

Larry

Post 22 Nov 2017, 19:29 • #25 
Master Guide
Canoeman1947 wrote:
Thanks Matt,
I've been admiring these reels since I first saw a picture of them on this forum. I was tempted to order one, but shipping from Europe or Taiwan was a little steep. You just made it possible, and my order is already in. I've always needed a bright orange reel. Now if you just had a red one also, I would have both of our state universities covered, depending which side of my family I was visiting.

Larry

Go Cowboys!
:)

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply