It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:46

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Mtnbrook/Mcfarland
Post 13 May 2017, 12:34 • #1 
Master Guide
ImageImageImageImageImage

I am excited to offer a new rod series manufactured here in Pennsylvania by myself and Mike McFarland. I wanted to keep things simple, classic, functional, and stay close to home in the design and taper.  The basis of the taper and design originates from the mountains and riffles I call home here in Pennsylvania. This design is my personal preference for fishing the small little Appalachian Mountain Range Streams, and the larger freestone and limestone waters that I frequent, here in Central Pennsylvania. Mike and I have been working on these the past year; I received the first prototypes last summer.

I could not be happier with the quality and function of the blank. My personal preference is a little faster type of glass, but still with the full flex function and feel. The full flex feel was critical in the design, and Mike Mcfarland worked hard and knocked it out of the park in my opinion.  These two models have the ability to cover a wide range of trout waters and have enough backbone to shoot quite a bit of line, when needed. These are not “slow” glass; these rods can “shoot” and is something just a little different.

With the emphasis on pack ability today the classic two piece has been forgotten a little. There is something to be said about the casting stroke and sensitivity of a two piece and it’s just something personally I have fond memories of in my childhood and wanted to bring back. I kept it simple with just two models, that I use on a variety on waters.

Appalachian 632…. This little 6ft, 3wt model was designed to target the Brookies of the great Appalachian Mountain Range where my family traditions in fly-fishing originated. This classic two piece, tip over butt model is great for roll casting buggers and still has the finesse of throwing little stimulators and caddis. It has a great classic glass feel with a progressive tip for hook sets on the little gems of the Appalachians. “This is just my preference and opinion when I state the following”, sometimes fishing slower and other glass I noticed I missed a few strikes in tight quarters, so this is just something a little more progressive in action.  This little gem can handle a lot of diverse conditions, and I tend to under “gun” at times because I like to push rods to the limit and enjoy feeling the fight.  I have fished bigger water as well with this one, and it’s a performer. Personally, I tend to fish a 3 wt most of the time

Salmo Trutta 852…
.  This 8 ft. 5wt, 2 piece was designed with my home waters in mind of the Pine Creek Valley (Big Pine Creek), Penns Creek, and Spring Creek here in Central Pennsylvania. The browns in these waters always make me smile, and relieves the stress of everyday life.) The older I get the more I cherish these precious moments on the stream. This model has the backbone to do it all from nymphing, or a dry with a dropper, and reaching out there at a pretty good distance when needed.  The goal was to offer a solid all-around rod. Just like the Appalachian, this model has a progressive recovery to shoot some line, and yet have that full flex feel for a great “digging” and “head shaking” brown.

Availability/Pricing

Being a Dad, Husband, High School Teacher, Coach, Upland Pheasant Guide, and I happen to fish… A LOT… finished rods will be made available and advertised on fb, website (being updated), . I am now making a limited number of rods per year to keep this fun for me☺this past year was a little busy. I am currently no longer taking deposits, but will offer finished rods for sale when completed. Just shoot me an email for a reserve on one.  I plan on making 6 or so in June once school (my real gig) is out.

As an introductory I am making the first (6) in the series for a promo offer.  I teamed up with another great rod builder and craftsman from Pennsylvania Chris Lantzy http://flyrods.weebly.com/ I had an embroidered patch designed that is similar to the Pennsylvania Fish Commission Patches that were offered years ago in our state, and Chris hand crafted these Classic Canvas Tubes, socks and day bags for a custom old school package that I hope others can appreciate. I just think the canvas products are top notch, made by Chris and his father, and it’s a product I use with my kids when we spend a day on the stream together. Bags are great for all my fly equipment and of course a couple of PBJ sandwiches and some beverages. ☺As my wife says “it’s a great looking “man” purse!”

To me there is just something about the nostalgic smell of canvas to remind me of classic outdoor adventures. There was a lot of effort in the design and craftsmanship of this classic package, to remind us of simple days gone by.…. The Promo Price with rod, tube, sock, and day bag is $495 for the Appalachian….$495 for  the Salmo Trutta. There will be 6 made including the canvas bag (3) in each model.  After the promo, rods will continue at the above price including the canvas tube and sock.

Rods

Bamboo Reel Seats being made for me, still testing different options.

Antique Gold wraps

Mildrum style Stripping guides,size 8 for the 632, size 10 for the 852, large eye tip tops

Custom Designed “great looking fishy label” … you will catch more fish because of that… ☺ balanced by a subtle little 4 spiral wrap for each member of my family (my wife, my two up and coming fly fishers, and myself)  and of course for the old school aesthetic that I love.

Turned Cigar for the Appalachian and Torpedo style grips for the Salmo Trutta, grip styles can be turned down to your liking, I tend to like a little thicker grip, the photos are my prototype that I have been fishing.

… These are simple blue collar functional fishing tools that I think those that cast one will be impressed with the capability, and versatility, I tried to keep the price with this theme in mind for a Pennsylvania origin and manufactured rod.

Blanks Availability

After discussing with Mike McFarland we have decided to offer the blanks as well. I, like other rod builders love to fish with their own build, so this Pennsylvania origin and themed series is a solid offering to add to one’s quiver.  I will take orders for those interested in purchasing a blank. Instead of deposits, I would like to do monthly orders and money will be due when blanks are completed and I have blanks in hand ready to be shipped. Please contact me for more information via forum pm . I am planning a first run ready in July.Blank Price $225 for the Appalachian         $ 245 for the Salmo Trutta. (Please contact me asap for a reserve) pre orders will determine the number rolled this July.

The Appalachian photos above are the prototype of the blank chosen, and will be finished the same way except the number next to the label. I put a  #1 on this one since it was the prototype chosen and used (my mountain “M” signature will be on the rod)A Salmo Trutta is on the bench now …pictures soon,
Thanks for reading, and a special thanks to those I have bounced ideas and received advice from here. I am humbled to read and view photos from some of the best rod builders and fly fishers around the globe on this forum.
Cheers
Mike

Re: Mtnbrook/Mcfarland
Post 13 May 2017, 13:35 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I love it! Looks fantastic.

Post 13 May 2017, 13:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations, Mike, on your new offering. Here's wishing you great success. I'd definitely be interested in one of the blanks. I sure like the three Mountain Brook rods I've built.

Post 13 May 2017, 16:02 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking rods and great promo package! Would love to cast them Mike. Maybe you can make it to the Catskill Clave in June to show them off?

Post 13 May 2017, 16:11 • #5 
Master Guide
Best of luck. Looks like a great package!

Post 13 May 2017, 17:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking products, Mike and Mike,

Post 13 May 2017, 18:30 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Cool looking combo, think the 2pc configuration will be solid as well.

Last edited by dustdog12 on 13 May 2017, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 May 2017, 18:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great Mike!

Post 13 May 2017, 19:03 • #9 
Master Guide
Mike, wishing you well , great design and your blanks are sourced from the best. If ever in State College , give me a call .

Post 15 May 2017, 07:18 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks so much for the comments. There are 3 reserves left for the promo package.
Picketpin , I am pretty busy with family stuff, but if I can get a couple done would you be interested, if I would send them to you. That way you guys could play with them at the clave, just send them back after :)

Cheers
Mike

Post 15 May 2017, 07:34 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
that would work. i think the guys would love to cast them.

Post 15 May 2017, 13:59 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
M&M Sounds and looks very good to me.
The rods are looking very nice ! Love your trout script it's very cool.
Very impressive can't wait to cast one of the rods !
Good Luck to both you guys sounds and looks like a Winning Combination !!!
Tight Lines And American Hand Made Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 29 May 2017, 19:49 • #13 
Sport
Nice looking rod - especially like appalachian emblem.

Post 22 Jun 2017, 19:46 • #14 
Master Guide
Just updating.photobucket delected all 3rd party photos, depending on amount of views.. so these are pics you couldn't see anymore.
decided to add an appalachian 742 to the tapers that are rolled by Mike Mcfarland for me. I tend to collect 7ft 4wts... so I needed another , blanks available by order $245 . This is a great small stream rod as well. It's the mountain brook label on the bottom in the photo
They are all 2 piece tip over configurations, just a little different and faster type glass. I hope others can appreciate the casting stroke of a two piece, and that there others like me that don't necessarily travel too far to fish. I have a soft spot for 2 piece rods thus the line upImage
ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by mtnbrook on 01 Jul 2017, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Jun 2017, 22:50 • #15 
Master Guide
Very nice! I also like 2 piece glass that's on the faster side. The 5wt in particular looks suited to the kind of fishing I do here in Colorado.

New Topic Add Reply