It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:48

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jan 2017, 13:28 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello everyone,
I'd like to announce a new rod I'll be doing very soon. It's called the 70LS (Limited Series, or Little Stiffy).

Some details:
7' 6wt 3 piece black unsanded glass with tip over butt ferrules. I'll be making 10 of these on a custom basis. Pricing starts at $565, $200 deposit to secure a build.
Here are some pictures of the final prototype which I made for Brandon Bailes (his flies were the inspiration behind this design). This one has a downlocking seat, which is an option. I will also make them with my brass cap and ring seat with wood or cork seat - buyer's choice.
Brandon with a small water streamer eating brown in Alabama.

Subtle translucent cinnamon wraps, Mildrum style stripping guides.

Strong progressive action suitable for small water streamers, hoppers, mice and other 'big fly' fishing.
'#0' = the final prototype

Sensitive enough to feel smaller fish and make accurate casts, versatile enough to put on a dry when you see a hatch coming on.

I expect these to be available by late January '17. Contact me for more info.
Thanks for looking!

As of January 4, I have 7 of these rods reserved, 3 are available.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ormat=750w

Alabama rainbow.

An early prototype in yellow glass with my darkened brass cap and ring seat and Osage orange partial wood seat. Smallies on the French Broad.

Last edited by CBarclay on 04 Jan 2017, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.

Post 02 Jan 2017, 13:57 • #2 
Master Guide
Love the yellow blank. Like the down locking seat on the black rod model. Beautiful concept on both layouts.

Post 02 Jan 2017, 17:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I had the opportunity to fish the proto of this rod and I can attest that it will be a fine tool for someone looking to fish larger flies on smaller water for bigger fish. I only caught a few little guys, but even they put an enjoyable bend in it!

Post 02 Jan 2017, 18:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Looks spectacular! The Progressive line up is really taking off.

Post 02 Jan 2017, 19:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great Chris! Judging by his Facebook post I think Brandon is extremely stoked with his!

Bob

Post 02 Jan 2017, 19:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. It looks like a great warmwater lmb rod for the local river to me! A downlocker a must though.

Post 03 Jan 2017, 10:09 • #7 
Guide
A really nice design Chris!
Well done.

Post 03 Jan 2017, 12:51 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys!
Jeff, I think you're right - most of these will have a downlocking reel seat though my own personal one with have a cap and ring (the yellow one above).

Post 03 Jan 2017, 13:36 • #9 
Master Guide
Sweet, man. Keep 'em coming!

Post 03 Jan 2017, 14:12 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to casting this one in may.

Post 03 Jan 2017, 23:31 • #11 
Master Guide
Love the black blank with the DL'ing seat. Very nice.

Post 10 Jan 2017, 09:40 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Like horsehead and some others, I had the (very enjoyable) opportunity to cast the yellow prototype shown above. I really loved it and my understanding from Chris is that the final design is even better.

My Testing Procedure: I took the rod out a few times, fishing mainly 6 wt floaters and sink tips. I also fished it with a SA Titan taper (210 gr, so really more like an 8 wt) and I driveway cast it with a couple of 5 wts. I mainly threw streamers, mostly coneheads and tungheads that were 3" or so but also some larger articulated ones with the Titan line, and I also spent time casting what was essentially a hopper-dropper set up (I was using a large PMX as a hopper substitute) and a moderate nymph rig (size 14 and 18 tungsten beadheads). I didn't fish a dry on the water, but did tie one on for my driveway session. Most of my casts were in the 25-40' range, though I also made some shorter ones and when the conditions allowed some that were a bit longer.

Thoughts.....

My bottom line conclusion, another really special offering from Chris! Many here probably know that I consider Chris a good friend, but just to eliminate any notion that my review is driven by "friendship bias" let me mention that I am getting one of these rods, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is so to speak.

While I think the "Little Stiffie" nickname is catchy and somewhat appropriate, I also think it's potentially misleading, at least if it would lead someone to think that the rod is a broomstick with no feel. Far from it. The rod is a joy to cast. It is light in the hand and delivers the fly with authority. The smallest fish I caught was about 8" and I definitely felt it. The largest fish I caught was about 17" and it handled it great, bringing it to the net quickly.

Based on the range of lines that I tried, I think this is a very versatile rod. I would generally fish it with a 6, but depending on what I intended to throw and the size of what I was targeting I could see going up or down at least one line weight without hesitation.

If you're going to be throwing size 16 dries to 4-5" brookies, then grab your 2 or 3 wt. But if you're going to be fishing smaller/tight waters and you need a heavier weight line because of the size and weight what you intend to throw (streamers and bass bugs come to mind), the size of what you hope to catch or lots of wind, then this rod is definitely one to consider.

If you decide to order one and are debating about the seat choices, FWIW the prototype I fished had the sliding ring. I tried it with 6 different reels I believe and none of them slipped at all.

Post 13 Jan 2017, 15:57 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Great analysis WNC...can't wait to get mine...will cast it in the snow if I have to.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 14:31 • #14 
Guide
Sweet looking rod!

Post 20 Jan 2017, 07:28 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
This looks like the perfect rod for fishing high gradient pocket water - something I unfortunately don't get to do often. This is a great format that's been largely missing from the market. Beautiful too as can be expected from Chris.

Post 02 Feb 2017, 20:41 • #16 
Sport
Cool...micro fighting butt an option?

Post 02 Feb 2017, 21:07 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
mysticfisher wrote:

I think something like this might work well on this rod but I wouldn't want to do any anything bigger given the length.
Is that like what you're thinking?

Post 02 Feb 2017, 22:22 • #18 
Master Guide
CBarclay wrote:
mysticfisher wrote:

I think something like this might work well on this rod but I wouldn't want to do any anything bigger given the length.
Is that like what you're thinking?

Very cool!

Post 02 Feb 2017, 23:58 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
That micro fighting butt looks awesome.

Post 03 Feb 2017, 06:04 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Love mini fighting butts.
Looks like a mini bonefish rod! :)

Post 03 Feb 2017, 06:47 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I like it Chris!

Post 03 Feb 2017, 08:22 • #22 
Guide
That DL seat with the little fighting butt would look great on the rod IMO. Again, a really sweet and unique design!

Post 19 Mar 2017, 11:07 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Beauty and the beast...a short review.
Got this rod last week....driggs grip, brass cap and ring over cork. As usual for Chris, stunning work.
Yes it is powerful but NOT stiff...close work no problem and loves to shoot line....good feel at all distances. I'm surprised the butt is as thin as it is for a 6 weight but i guess that's the magic of rod design..
Very smooth for such a short rod......think the 70p on steroids without the slight semi parabolic kick.
I think i can do all the short rod work I'll ever need to do with just the 70p and 70LS.

Post 19 Mar 2017, 13:54 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
backing1 wrote:
I think i can do all the short rod work I'll ever need to do with just the 70p and 70LS.

For gear junkies that's certainly a depressing thought. Seriously, a great pair of rods that you'll no doubt enjoy for a long time.

Post 27 Mar 2017, 11:58 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
backing1 wrote:
Beauty and the beast...a short review.
Got this rod last week....driggs grip, brass cap and ring over cork. As usual for Chris, stunning work.
Yes it is powerful but NOT stiff...close work no problem and loves to shoot line....good feel at all distances. I'm surprised the butt is as thin as it is for a 6 weight but i guess that's the magic of rod design..
Very smooth for such a short rod......think the 70p on steroids without the slight semi parabolic kick.

Excellent Chris!! So glad you're enjoying those rods!!

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply