It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:17

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 15 May 2017, 21:31 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
The roll stamp is very classy looking Fred!

Post 15 May 2017, 21:53 • #52 
Master Guide
That reel seat is fantastic! Lovely wood and the stamp is a wonderful touch. Really looks great.

Post 16 May 2017, 18:48 • #53 
Master Guide
Thank you for all the kind words, reel seat hardware is a work in progress. I'm still sorting out all the details and making mistakes along the way.

Here's a couple of photos showing the most important part... the fit to the reel.
ImageImage

Here's the winding check... still needs the bluing touched up.

Post 16 May 2017, 19:23 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Wow -- just beautiful!

Post 18 May 2017, 09:36 • #55 
Master Guide
fred1369 wrote:
I have been quietly developing a few details...
The reel seat hardware (nickel silver) will be made by me and of my own design. The wood inserts will be unique, a couple a really nice woods are in the shop now... Karelian birch, koa, and black walnut.
The rod appointments will also change a little, the winding check (nickel silver) will be made by me and of my own design. The stripping guide is handmade in the USA, they are pure class. There will be a couple of guide wrap options to chose from, and there will be more color in the whole package!
This all comes at a price... a price increase will be necessary and justified. Production will be very limited, there will be a lot more steps (from my hands) to the process. I'm waiting for a few items to be made for me (tooling) and I'm in the process of making a few tools myself... once all that gets together, I'll share a little more. I plan to debut the changes at Michiglass this June.
Here's a color change to the blanks. The tapers remain the same, perfect actions and balance. Each model was developed for its intended use, but they do share at least one similar trait... they talk to you on the first cast.

It is little more than a month until Fred unveils his lineup of exquisitely casting rods with his new components and blank color changes in Michigan at our Michi-Glass-N-Grass gathering being held June 24th and 25th. I hope to see some of you who have expressed interest in his rods as well as all of the other makers rods usually represented here. This is a great opportunity to cast and review many rod models from all of the current makers and builders from throughout the world without having to "pull the trigger" on a lot of them to see what they're like.
Hope to see you there.
Mark.

Last edited by fishwoodrods on 24 May 2017, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 May 2017, 12:15 • #56 
Master Guide
Here's another 8' 5 weight rod built up from a yellow Fred Paddock Paddock blank. I used another piece of Bethlehem olive wood for the reel seat, vintage Granger 2/0 black and orange variegated silk thread tipped with 6/0 black silk for the guide wraps, Snake Brand Universal lightweight snake guides and a vintage Mildrum stripper guide. Fred's rods are great!!

Mark
http://www.mckellipbamboorods.com

Post 24 May 2017, 13:13 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking build Mark! I really like the looks of the olive branch - perfect with the Kineya.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply