It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:28

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 26 Mar 2016, 09:28 • #1 
Master Guide
The new "signed" series was designed for the demands of trout fishing while utilizing the unique qualities of fiberglass as a rodmaking material. Each model was individually designed and developed on the water. The blanks are Made in the USA to my specifications. The tapers are proprietary to FH Paddock Fly Rods. The rods are built from my own mature and practiced hands using high quality components and construction methods.
The workmanship is covered under warranty to the original owner. Breakages and such would require a quote to repair and I will do my best to keep this cost to a minimum. I also offer an inspection period. If the rod doesn't work for you, simply return it for a refund. If this should happen, I do have some requests. You can contact for further details. That said, I also reserve the right to refuse sale.
Fly fishing is a lifetime sport for me. The signed series was created to share this passion with others. The model descriptions are below.

7'0" - #5 - 2 Pieces
Appalachian brook trout rod that delivers the goods, light in hand and delicate like a three weight, with the line control of a five weight. The flex profile is medium fast, with a nice recovery. Fine tipped classic "Catskill" feel, yet instantly makes you aware that the taper is exceptional.

7'9"- #4- 3 Pieces
My venture into the realm of light line trout rods. A perfect action and balance. Light in hand and very accurate. The fine tip with outstanding loop control is a perfect blend for this medium action taper.

8'0"- #5 - 3 Pieces
Eastern US trout rod, well mannered and a pleasure to fish. Medium action rod that can fish in close and reach as needed. The balance that is difficult to achieve.

8'3"- #6 - 3 Pieces
The perfect balance of finesse and power... it's sweet. The first time I cast the finished taper, I knew I had something special. Medium action that really delivers.

8'6"- #7 - 3 Pieces
Trout rod, smooth transition to present in close and reach out. Medium action that can present a delicate line, and deliver a streamer with use. I kept this rod in mind for smallmouth bass fishing too."

For photos and other information, you can go to my Facebook page. I do plan to start up my website again, but it's not something that I am in a rush to do. I can only build a limited number of rods per year, approximately 25-35.

Re: FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 26 Mar 2016, 09:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That 7' 5wt is really intriguing to me. My favorite kind of trout fishing is blue lining in the southern Appalachians for wild brook trout. Any way to try these rods other than at the Claves/ michiglass, etc.?

Post 26 Mar 2016, 09:59 • #3 
Master Guide
[quote="horsehead"]That 7' 5wt is really intriguing to me. My favorite kind of trout fishing is blue lining in the southern Appalachians for wild brook trout. Any way to try these rods other than at the Claves/ michiglass, etc.?

I'm in SW VA, so NC is not too far away... I do plan to be down in NC this May... there's a glass gathering that is developing in the Smokies, if there is enough interest. I also plan to be in the Shenandoah Valley next month for a gathering.
If you wanted to make some plans to fish, I would get the 705 in your hands to fish. I have all the models that I have built up and have been fishing for some time now. I have no intention to "market" these rods, those who have cast and fished them will tell the story. The gatherings that I attend have good fishing that coincides with the gathering... my intentions are to fish.
As a matter of fact... I'm finishing a cup of coffee and I will be heading to a brook trout creek in the Blue Ridge Mtns. shortly with my 705.

Post 26 Mar 2016, 11:07 • #4 
Guide
Thanks for the introduction to your new line of rods, they sound sweet.. I hope you will have some to bring to Michiglass this summer. See you there.
Doug

Post 26 Mar 2016, 14:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
This is very exciting, Fred! I'm am really looking forward to casting each of these.

Post 26 Mar 2016, 22:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Very happy for you Fred, as I have said in other threads they are fantastic rods!

Bob

Post 26 Mar 2016, 22:36 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to casting these, saw the announcement in TFM. Gorgeous rods too!

Post 27 Mar 2016, 07:57 • #8 
Master Guide
It's good to see "Paddock" back in the "what's new on the market". I agree that the 705 sounds intriguing.

Post 27 Mar 2016, 21:31 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Fred, I sincerely hope you'll have one of each for your buddies to try at MichiGlass this summer!

Post 28 Mar 2016, 07:30 • #10 
Master Guide
CrustyBugger wrote:
Fred, I sincerely hope you'll have one of each for your buddies to try at MichiGlass this summer!

Dave - I will have all five models at Michi-glass. I have been using my "demos" to fish and should be ahead enough to have one of each model new in tube for the gathering. I'm trying to get the 'stock' builds done as I'm working on completing orders.

Post 28 Mar 2016, 09:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Rods look great and the range covers all the sweet spots. Are these e glass or s glass?

Post 28 Mar 2016, 10:25 • #12 
Master Guide
giogio wrote:
Rods look great and the range covers all the sweet spots. Are these e glass or s glass?

It was a matter of time before this question was asked... I don't mean to be blunt or negative in any way.

I will not disclose the type of fiberglass used for my new tapers. I will tell you that it is the type of fiberglass that I chose for reasons I will not discuss on forums. I think disclosing the type of fiberglass will only have people "label" the rods performance without ever casting one. I'm not the company who will say my glass fibers is better than theirs, etc. No marketing here, the rods can do the talking. The tapers are well thought out and complex. There is attention to details that only a few may even see, more I do not intend to disclose. The focus was to make each model not just good, but exceptional. The few rods that have gone out to the public so far have received very positive reviews, and I have been my own biggest critic. The blank manufacturer (Mike McFarland) and myself have developed these tapers without reservation, the results are special. They are proprietary and confidential to FH Paddock Fly Rods. For those who know the two of us will know how deep our roots go into fiberglass fly rods, their history, and the rod designers of the past. It doesn't stop at just fiberglass, we have a rich history in tapers of all materials, casting, and fly fishing as a whole.

I stand behind the rods, and have developed them from my experiences. They are my best series to date. I offer an inspection period, if the rod doesn't work for you send it back for a refund. It's not the sale of a rod that drives me.

Post 28 Mar 2016, 10:30 • #13 
Master Guide
Wishing you good luck on your new venture Fred.

Post 28 Mar 2016, 11:56 • #14 
Master Guide
First I am big fan of Fred's previous tapers owning The Brown Series, The "One", and The Butterscotch series., , 7'6"4wght,7'10" 5 wght,8'3" 5 wght rods, And if he proclaims that the new rods are better, and rolled by Mike Mcfarland I am sold. No hesitation to buy one sight unseen , they will be winners. Much Success Fred, Jeff

Post 28 Mar 2016, 13:22 • #15 
Guide
Fred,

This is great news indeed!

Dave

Post 28 Mar 2016, 17:19 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
fred1369 wrote:
horsehead wrote:
That 7' 5wt is really intriguing to me. My favorite kind of trout fishing is blue lining in the southern Appalachians for wild brook trout. Any way to try these rods other than at the Claves/ michiglass, etc.?

I do plan to be down in NC this May... there's a glass gathering that is developing in the Smokies, if there is enough interest.

Any detail on that Fred? May tends to fill up, but you never know what could be fitted in. I enjoyed that gathering at Smokemont, but haven't gotten to anything like that since, and it was '09, I think.

Post 29 Mar 2016, 02:13 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Fred, while I respect your decision not to reveal the materials used in your rods I will politely suggest that you are perhaps underestimating your potential customers. Of course Coca-Cola has been very successful selling a secret recipe!

I would never jump to conclusions about a rod's performance simply because it's made from one material or another. It's safe to say that on this forum it's widely understood that the combination of taper design and appropriate choice of material is what matters.

Kenney's e glass tapers are masterful. The epic s glass tapers are also excellent. Many older e glass rods are fast and recover well (I don't subscribe to Epic's pitch about old glass v.s. "fast glass" at all) and some more modern s glass rods are on the slow side so it's safe to say that it's unwise to draw conclusions from material alone.

What would be interesting is a combination of e glass and s glass sections in one rod. There's not a huge difference in modulus but it might be enough to yield some palpable results.

As customers we want rods that feel good to cast and to fish and we appreciate both the end result and the hard work and thinking that go into crafting such rods.

Post 29 Mar 2016, 04:44 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Fred,

I don't do facebook,but was able to view some photos. As always, your aesthetics are impeccable. Beautiful cork and grip style. If the rods cast as nicely as they look, they are very attractive.

Rich

Post 29 Mar 2016, 07:48 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
fred1369 wrote:
giogio wrote:
I think disclosing the type of fiberglass will only have people "label" the rods performance without ever casting one.

So how do we cast one?

Post 29 Mar 2016, 19:26 • #20 
Master Guide
whoa whoa whoa. do I see a FOUR WEIGHT in that lineup? now THAT is a marvel! solid stack of rods there, Fred. I hope to handle one of these soon.

Marty

Post 29 Mar 2016, 20:26 • #21 
Master Guide
Marty Romeo wrote:
whoa whoa whoa. do I see a FOUR WEIGHT in that lineup? now THAT is a marvel! solid stack of rods there, Fred. I hope to handle one of these soon.

Marty

Yes, there's a four weight in the lineup... I haven't really talked about the 794-3 yet, but it's a real sweetheart.

Post 29 Mar 2016, 21:54 • #22 
Master Guide
Are you sure you're feeling OK? What's next...a 3? Kidding, but very excited to see these new rods coming to market.

Post 30 Mar 2016, 08:08 • #23 
Guide
Hey Joe,

Wait a few weeks...

Post 25 Apr 2016, 10:33 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
JASTrout wrote:
First I am big fan of Fred's previous tapers owning The Brown Series, The "One", and The Butterscotch series., , 7'6"4wght,7'10" 5 wght,8'3" 5 wght rods, And if he proclaims that the new rods are better, and rolled by Mike Mcfarland I am sold. No hesitation to buy one sight unseen , they will be winners. Much Success Fred, Jeff

Good points, Jeff. I don't think I've ever known two guys who know more about rods and who would deliver/make a better fly rod than Mike or Fred.

Post 25 Apr 2016, 11:32 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
And Fred is great to deal with. The 6wt is a gem of a rod. Fred's rod are always built for fishing. They look great, but not at the expense of fishing.

The tube and sock on these rods are also beautiful yet fully functional.

If I make it to the Allenberry show, I'll bring mine.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply