It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:54

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Jul 2015, 21:41 • #1 
Master Guide
Note: Admins, if this message violates forum rules, please let me know so I can do this on the up-and-up.

[I moved this post to the What's New in the Market forum, the preferred location for new product announcements. When in doubt about where to post, please ask myself or Whrlpool first. Thanks, Tom]

Guys and gals, I’m incredibly excited to announce the release of the brand new Heritage Trout Series (HTS) blanks that James Green developed over the last several months after he and I began discussing a collaboration to create a longer light-line application. Initially we talked about long 2-weight blanks that would be a touch faster than his Native Trout Series (NTS) rods. James designed a totally new mandrel that would not only support this application but was versatile enough to give rise to a series of blanks. The HTS blanks have a medium-slow action, filling the gap between his original Native Trout rods, which have a slow action, and his Spring Creek Series, which are medium action rods. The first offerings in the HTS are 2-weight rods in lengths up to 8’0” in 3-piece configuration (and a 7’9” 3-weight HTS “dry fly” blank --- see below), with additional models to follow.

Because the prototypes felt so good during the R&D phase, James went the extra mile in extending (pun intended) the Native Trout Series to include lengths in 2- and 3-weights of up to 7’9”. These blanks are rolled differently than the original NTS, but on the same NTS mandrel. They retain the wonderful mellow casting performance of the original NTS blanks while offering a little more reach.

The versatility engineered into the mandrels and glass layouts again availed themselves when James dialed in “dry fly” versions of both the HTS and modified NTS blanks, resulting in both HTS and NTS “dry fly” rods which have much more rapid tip recovery than their 2-weight counterparts. At this time several completely new blanks are available, all in a classy amber color:

7’7” 2wt HTS

7’9” 2wt HTS

8’0” 2wt HTS (on the slow side of medium-slow)

7’9” 3wt HTS “dry fly”

7’7” 2wt NTS

7’9” 2wt NTS

7’7” 3wt NTS “dry fy”

7’9” 3wt NTS “dry fly”

As with all of James’ offerings, you can expect a superior quality, thoughtfully engineered fiberglass fly rod blank. I’m pleased to offer a limited number of these as fully built rods ranging from simple, understated clean examples to more detailed builds. James offers the blanks outright (you can find him at jamesgreenflyrods.com).

Marty

Post 30 Jul 2015, 00:04 • #2 
Master Guide
Thanks, I have been looking for longer rods in fiberglass. I am luck enough to have a 8'2' 3wt in fiberglass and love it. James does an awesome job on his blanks. Thanks again for the info.

Post 30 Jul 2015, 13:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool Marty, his NTS 2's and 3's are from my experience very true to weight and the HTS sounds awesome. Especially in some longer lengths. Can't wait to hear more and hope to get to cast some. I have had the opportunity to build and cast some of the dry fly tip 4wts and thought they would be perfect for lighter lengths.

Post 30 Jul 2015, 15:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'm very interested in building one of these. Any idea how much the blanks will cost?

Post 30 Jul 2015, 16:59 • #5 
Master Guide
I just spoke with James and ordered the, 7’9” 3wt HTS “dry fly” blank and I am very excited to build it out! James makes some of the nicest tapers and quality blanks out there!

Cheers!

Wes

Post 02 Aug 2015, 12:54 • #6 
Sport
More sizes in the NTS series is exciting. I love that series.

Post 29 Aug 2015, 16:00 • #7 
Master Guide
Hi all,

I just took delivery of my new James Green, 7’9” 3wt HTS “dry fly” blank, and I have to say I am very impressed! This thing is as straight as an arrow, and the action is exactly what I was after, and exactly how James described it. The man knows, his stuff! I have 2 of the NTS blanks built, and I love them, but I think I am going to like the HTS, a little more, if not just as much. Time to get building :)

Wes

New Topic Add Reply