It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:40

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jun 2015, 16:58 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Tom and Gerri have decided to offer their business to whom might be interested. Sad news indeed, but an understandable decision from two great spirits who have worked hard together for a long time, forming Tom Morgan Rodsmiths to what it is today.

Tom and Gerri - Thanks for all your work! May your heritage continue to be present in the future of the company. And most of all, enjoy your new freedom!

Respectfully/
Christian

More info to be found here:
http://www.troutrods.com

Post 01 Jun 2015, 17:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Wow!

Post 01 Jun 2015, 17:45 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Makes sense. The stamina required for a business like this is huge.

Post 01 Jun 2015, 18:54 • #4 
Master Guide
Wow! Major news. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes and much happiness to Tom and Gerri.

Post 02 Jun 2015, 06:04 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I and more than a few others consider Tom Morgan to be the greatest rod designer ever. No one has accomplished what he has in the totality of Cane, Fiberglass, and Graphite. Tom's legacies mirrored in the rods of Winston and Morgan Rodsmiths are unparalleled. I hope that he is available for the next owner to learn from. If he could offer just a smidgeon of his knowledge, it would be priceless. As a designer of consumer products myself, gee, what I would give for an extra few shekels....

I'm sure glad I purchased my Morgan Rodsmiths Fiberglass 7'6" 4wt 2 pc directly from them. Gerri did the finish work and the rod has her signature on it. It isn't going anywhere but fishing with me and will be willed to my son. Best of wishes to Tom and Gerri in their retirement.

Post 02 Jun 2015, 07:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
I hope that he is available for the next owner to learn from.

Their announcement concerning the sale on the classic board indicated that they would work with the new owner to ensure an orderly transition.

Post 02 Jun 2015, 08:54 • #7 
Administrator
For the original announcement, please see the Tom Morgan Rodsmiths web site:

www.troutrods.com

Tom Morgan and Gerri Carlson are making this change in a deliberate and thoughtful manner. I hope they find the right owner to keep moving the business forward.

All of us Glass Fanatics have many reasons to be thankful for Tom Morgan's continued participation in the fiberglass field. Searching for a new owner of his company is one more. As always, I wish Morgan and Carlson good luck.

Tom

Post 03 Jun 2015, 06:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Here's to rest, enjoyment and peace to both of them.

Post 05 Jun 2015, 00:23 • #9 
Master Guide
Inspiration sufficient enough for me to at last order a Streamer Special blank from them yesterday! (Fortunately my dear wife is understanding of my rod building obsession) I have read good things about this rod model and I look forward to getting started on it, but I am sorry to learn that such a great rod designer is retiring.

Post 18 Dec 2015, 08:40 • #10 
Sport
just saw this have a tm .... 8 ft 5 wt my favorite rod... hope the transition goes well

Post 04 Feb 2017, 06:47 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The sale of Tom Morgan Rodsmiths is concluded.

The new owners are Joel Doub and Matt Barber, two names I am unfamiliar with but that's me. Tom & Gerri are staying on as employees as will the rest of the rod building staff until the transition is complete.

Post 04 Feb 2017, 08:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'm glad I have my Morgan built by Gerri. When she built mine, I made sure she signed it with her name. It is impeccably built. I wonder how much longer she'll be doing it.

Post 04 Feb 2017, 10:20 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
She & Tom will involved for a while.

Obviously the new owners with have a hand in things but when and with what is my question.

For the time being I am SO glad I bought one last year!

Post 04 Feb 2017, 10:42 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Serial numbers will always tell the story. Be glad you own a glass rod from Morgan before this transition. I am.

Post 04 Feb 2017, 10:46 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Congrats to Tom & Gerri. I hope they will finally be able to enjoy retirement. But I wish I had a Gerri-built rod first.

Post 04 Feb 2017, 20:19 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
That's great news, hope they enjoy their retirement.

Post 05 Feb 2017, 14:30 • #17 
Master Guide
JoeFriday wrote:
Congrats to Tom & Gerri. I hope they will finally be able to enjoy retirement. But I wish I had a Gerri-built rod first.

All of the rods I have made are jerry built.

Post 06 Feb 2017, 17:15 • #18 
Administrator
Looks like the website has been updated to explain the sale of the business along with transition plans...

http://www.troutrods.com/

Post 16 Nov 2017, 07:02 • #19 
Master Guide
Last month Tom Morgan Rodsmiths was invited by the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club to share their new 8' 4 weight graphite rods. New owners Matt Barber and Joel Doub took the opportunity to personally bring out the new rods along with an extensive quiver of other bamboo, glass and graphite rods. I had a chance to chat at length with Matt and Joel. It was good to learn that these two are not just "investors." Both left careers and uprooted their families from Colorado to continue the legacy that Tom built, spending five quality months with Tom and Gerri before he passed. Kerry Burkheimer and Tom's other valued suppliers have all committed to stand by the new ownership to maintain the quality we have all come to expect. Some of the rods they brought were uncoated; they had not been satisfied with the last batch of coating delivered and were working with the supplier on a fix (clearly they are infected with Tom's relentless drive for perfection).

I had time to test 3 of each of the materials offered. The new 8' 4wt was designed by Tom to be a refined taper surpassing the original Winstom IM6. One gentleman I shared testers with declared that he had never liked the IM6 but he sure had a smile while giving this new Morgan rod a workout. If I didn't already have one of Mike McFarland's new 8'8" glass 4wts and a Bradley 7'9" bamboo parabolic 4 wt I might be tempted. Instead, I was totally taken by their 9' 5wt which exceeded even the exceptional capabilities of my old Scott G of the same type (this will go to the to the top of my wish list as I no longer have the G). The other graphite samples were all exceptional, but not to the point I would go the expense to replace any of the similar glass lengths and wts in my quiver. However, if I were someone looking to fill a hole in my quiver and considering one of the $800 rods out there I would certainly go the extra $300-400 for a TMR rod.

The 8'6" 6wt glass rod I cast was special, but not to the point I would replace my custom cut 8'6" 6wt Fenwick. I cast a shorter 6 wt that was equally capable, but again I am quite well equipped in that area. The 8'6" 7wt glass (Unity with the Universe) was close to a spiritual experience and I am seriously considering getting one for fishing salmon and steelhead on the American and Trinity rivers.

The 3 bamboo I cast all had really exceptional range, with the 7' 4wt being the one that gave the biggest thrill. The only drawback to the Morgan grass offerings is the same as any other premium bamboo rod - the $4000 price tag. But if I ever have that kind of money to invest I think the 7' 4wt would be my first look.

Don't write off the new TMR ownership; these two have the great crew and suppliers that Tom developed who will continue to stand behind them. I could see and hear the passion they have for this endeavor and I have high hopes that they will be able to sustain the Morgan legacy.

Post 20 Jan 2018, 07:50 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the excellent review.........aurelio

Post 20 Jan 2018, 08:36 • #21 
Sport
I saw them at the Marlborough fly fishing show, but didn't have a chance to stop and talk to them. As expected, the rods looked beautiful. Did anyone have a chance to talk to them and play with the rods?

Joe

Post 20 Jan 2018, 08:45 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Just in case you're interested TMR is listed among exhibtors at the upcoming Jan 26 - 28 show in Edison N.J.

Post 20 Jan 2018, 09:55 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
They were at the Denver show and had quite a lot of traffic. There were people there every time I went by. Good to see.

Post 20 Jan 2018, 20:24 • #24 
Master Guide
I was at the Marlborough show today and was able to spend some time speaking with both Matt and Joel. I feel that they are emotionally invested in the continuation of Tom Morgan Rodsmiths legacy and really enjoyed my time with them. They had several rods available to cast. Most were graphite (including a sweet 8ft 2pc 2wt that was built 17 years ago) a couple of bamboo (7ft 3wt and 4wt) and 3 glass rods (7ff3in light 3wt, 8ft 5wt and the 6wt Streamer Special.). I took the 6wt and 5wt glass rods to the casting pond and really enjoyed both. I have the Unity with the Universe 7wt and 6ft 9in light 3wt and have spent a little bit of time with the 8ft 4wt (which I listed after for a few years until today). The 8ft 5wt was surprisingly good in close and out to 50ft. They are working on a 4 piece version (or at least thinking out loud about it). The 7ft 3in light 3wt felt great in hand but I did not cast it. If you go the the NJ show be sure to stop by and say hello. They might even have some 3wt glass blanks available as “show specials” :).

Post 20 Jan 2018, 21:47 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
MassTrout,

The important question is ... did you buy anything?

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply