It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:04

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Mountain Brook
Post 20 Feb 2015, 23:48 • #1 
Master Guide
"Mountain Brook Classic". It is a great classic style click and pawl reel. It is a 4-6 weight reel and balances perfectly with our Spring Creek and Big Pine series rods. We made a small production run of 3 classic colors with brass accents. It weighs 5.2 ounces and has a 3" diameter. We are selling them for $110 and free shipping inside the U.S.! If you're interested, or have any questions, contact me through pm, or my website.

I'm not reinventing the wheel so to speak with this new offering. I just personally liked these reels when I fished them years ago and decided to get them manufactured again with some minor refinements and some different color options. They are rated 3 to 6 wt, but feel the sweet spot with these is in the 4/ 5 wt range.
ImageImageImage

I also have been working with import manufacturers on improving what I call the Spring Creek series blank. These are affordable blanks and I personally inspect for quality control and rate the blanks accordingly. Working on spigots and color options Please contact me for grade pricing.
Those that have contacted me know,I have been honest with origin and keeping price competitive. Finished rods will be posted soon with pricing,
ImageImage
Thanks for looking
cheers
Mike
http://www.mtnbrookrods.com
Check us out on facebook

Last edited by mtnbrook on 22 Feb 2015, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Mountain Brook
Post 21 Feb 2015, 00:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Mike those reels look sharp!

Post 21 Feb 2015, 00:43 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, I like them too. Any shots of the innards?

Post 21 Feb 2015, 02:31 • #4 
Guide
picketpin52 wrote:
Mike, I like them too. Any shots of the innards?

Was thinking the exact same thing. Great looking reels.

Post 21 Feb 2015, 06:43 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Mike
I must say I appreciate your honest approach of offering these imported items it's refreshing.

The Ogden Dry reels look very nice I'd really like to see the inner workings as well.
Are they cast or machined or a combination of both ?
I was going to ask about drag adjustment but I just noticed the adjustment screw.
I'll wait to see what makes them tick or click.

Spring Creek Series, Brown Blanks ? Nice choice that color certainly will please the traditionalist palate.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about these.

Tight Lines And Looking Good Loops
Andy M

Post 21 Feb 2015, 10:06 • #6 
Master Guide
I have one of the Ogden reels bought it from Mike last year.I really fished the heck out of it this past season on my Morgan.The reel is wonderful everyone who has seen it loves it.

Jay

Post 21 Feb 2015, 13:05 • #7 
Master Guide
I remember the reel on your Morgan 4wt and was impressed. I more impressed now knowing the price point. I will need one :)

Post 21 Feb 2015, 21:41 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks for the comments. Here is a quick point and shoot of the mechanics on one that I have been using. Pretty simple conversion for Left or Rt. Hand wind with the click and pawl. The set screw is the drag mechanism but I kind of just use my palm most of time if I have a hefty brown or smallmouth up here, but that's just me.
Thanks
Mike

Post 22 Feb 2015, 09:49 • #9 
Master Guide
Mike, I love the color of the new blanks. Very nice!

Post 03 Mar 2015, 13:32 • #10 
Great looking reels! I like the fact they are click and pawl and weigh 5 ounces. I bought a Battenkill III which only weighs a hair over 3 ounces. Its made for glass in 5/6 weight but is too light to balance. Okay if you like tip heavy. I pointed that out to the Orvis guy and he suggested wrapping the spool with lead wire. Yea right.

Post 03 Mar 2015, 14:13 • #11 
Master Guide
Are you taking orders for reels?

Post 03 Mar 2015, 17:11 • #12 
Master Guide
Thanks for the comments guys! Response has been great, and i currently have a few silver, and copper brown left, black is out of stock currently, last black one out the door today. I will make another production run soon.
If anyone is interested in black shoot me a pm, just getting an idea of how many in each color for the next run.
Cheers
Mike

Post 18 Mar 2015, 14:00 • #13 
Inactive
Mike - I got my Classic reel yesterday...what a nicely made reel. It's tight and smooth and has a lovely sound. And it looks great too. Thanks very much and well done.
Rich

Post 25 Mar 2015, 21:29 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Mike,
I received my L. Kenney 813 this week. I loaded a three weight line into my new "Ogden Dry Fly" reel and the balance is PERFECT. Looks good too. Thanks again and hears hoping you consider a small run of the reels without any porting.

Post 25 Mar 2015, 23:03 • #15 
Master Guide
Hey guys, glad your pleased with the reels! Thanks for posting.
Scud dog... saw the pics of the kenney set up, that looks awesome.
Neat idea with the non ported look. That would be an elegant looking classic style I think. Manufacturers began porting reels I would imagine for less weight, and producing the lightest product available. I am curious of how much more wt it would add. I am going to look into it keeping the same click and pawl with a solid spool.
Thanks and will keep ya posted.
Mike

Post 27 Mar 2015, 11:30 • #16 
Master Guide
Mike, you have a couple of P.M's. Thanks

Post 14 Apr 2015, 12:31 • #17 
Master Guide
Got my reel from Mike. What a great reel. Will work really nice with my 3wt. Thanks Mike for such a great reel.

Post 17 Apr 2015, 09:09 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks , have fun fishing it, make it sing :lol .
Currently out of em
Next batch coming soon
Cheers
Mike

Post 03 Jun 2015, 13:43 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice classic looking reel.

Post 08 Jun 2018, 07:18 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Mike,
Did you shut down the shop?

Post 08 Jun 2018, 11:19 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Those reels are sharp looking, are they still available?

Post 08 Jun 2018, 14:49 • #22 
Master Guide
Hey guys , thanks for reaching out. Didn't close up , just doing alot of stuff locally. The Appalachian and Salmo Trutta series did well locally here in central pa. Robert was the only one on the forum that fished the salmo trutta 852 he seemed to love it. The first batch did all find homes though. Guys around here loved them.
Just getting ready to order another batch of blanks from Mcfarland with that taper. To be honest , I am not competing with the "big guns" in the rod building category on the forum :) 30 or so rods a year is alot for me, being a Dad and the breadwinner in my family.,haha.
1000 bucks worth of blanks is alot for this family. So it's a slow go, when I retire maybe more , but the light at the end of that tunnel is a little dim right now:) Just unplugged from the forum a little, figuring out how to post pics AGAIN. Fishing has finally turned on here in Central Pa , been fishing hard the past two weeks.

Reels are all out of stock, at one point hilevel in Europe was selling them with my logo but think they are all gone as well. Having trouble importing the same quality to be truthful, didnt like the last ones I received so I didn't sell them . Guys that play the import game understand it's hit or miss sometimes.
Good fishing all... it's fast and furious here on Penns Creek in Pa now...;)
Will try to post pics.
Cheers
Mike

Post 08 Jun 2018, 15:06 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, glad to hear you're doing ok and that more of your product may be inn the offing. Longshot: would you by chance still have any of your old-series (c. 2014) 2/3wt 3-piece blanks left?

Post 08 Jun 2018, 22:48 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
hi mike glad to see you back!

Post 11 Jun 2018, 18:10 • #25 
Master Guide
Good to see you posting again. They are sweet reels for the price.

New Topic Add Reply