It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:11

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Feb 2015, 17:25 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Friends and fellow fisherman of fiberglass fly rods,

I am pleased to announce the Bozeman Rod Western Glass Series. When we set out to design a new series of fiberglass rods we were inspired to create fly rods for our own backyard, the Greater Yellowstone Area. I feel this is exactly what we have achieved, a fiberglass rod with a distinct Western feel. They are unsanded, unidirectional Sglass which creates a smooth, responsive rod, that is enjoyable to fish.

When I started thinking about this series of rods (quite some years ago) I thought specifically to many of the rivers/streams I fish and how I like to fish them, whether wading a stream or fishing from a drift boat. For example, I love Yellowstone National Park especially the Lamar River where Cutties have what I refer to as the "Hey look, a bug!" syndrome. In July through September we fish everything from Green Drakes, Stoneflies, and my favorite... grasshoppers and thought that an 8'6" 5wt glass rod would be perfect to handle the size 8 dries I throw and the 16-20" Cutts I catch there.

Further upstream Soda Butte Creek flows through a wide open meadow and is filled with 8-13" Cutts with occasional 16-20" fish. I felt that this was perfect water for an 8'6" 3wt.

The Spring and fall out west is a lot of fun. In a day of fishing you can throw double indicator rigs, streamers, and dry flies. I felt that a 8'6" 6wt would be a perfect on a day when you are walking miles of stream and only want to carry one rod. Think the Ruby, Beaverhead, Blackfoot, Three Dollar/Slide area of the Madison, and Gallatin Rivers....the list goes on.

I love to fish the Firehole starting Memorial day weekend through late June. The mix of baetis, pmd's, and caddis is a godsend when many of our waters are blown out due to run off. An 8'6" 4wt is perfect for these fishing conditions as well as many of the spring creeks around here, and let us not forget the great Trico hatches of the Missouri River and the Bitteroot.

I live, fish, and guide on the Yellowstone River. It's one of the great Brown Trout Fisheries of the Rocky Mountain West and if you want to catch some of it's larger Brownies you have to commit to throwing large and often articulated streamers with Sink Tip lines. I felt streamer fisherman needed a rod with the feel and durability of glass to handle this style of fishing so we developed a 9' 7wt...anywhere big streamers are needed catch big fish. As a side note, I grew up between Cleveland and Akron fishing the Great Lakes Steelhead runs. Perfect for that as well.

Rods are made with the finest components available, Lemke and Snake Brand Reel Seats/Woods, Snake Brand Universal Guides, Flor Grade Cigar Grip (Streamer model will have a Full Wells, all Metal Seat, and Fighting Butt) and will come with a Rod Tube w/logo and bag. Rods come in 2 colors Dark Brown or Clear/White. 8'6" models are 3pc and come in 3,4,5, and 6wts. Streamer model is a 9' 7wt.

Rod prices are $600, $675 for agate guide and darkened hardware.

Here is an example of our 8'6" 5wt.

These rods go perfect with Bozeman Reels, both the RS and SC series. We are more than happy to put together a custom outfit for you.

Please PM me with any questions, we are very excited about this series and are confident that you will enjoy fishing them.

Post 03 Feb 2015, 01:07 • #2 
Master Guide
Congrat's on the offering. Very cool; my kind of trout rod.

Post 03 Feb 2015, 08:39 • #3 
Master Guide
Dusty,

Congratulations on the new series. Those are certainly some great looking rods. I thought I saw more images on FB. Maybe it's just the coffee.

Better yet are your descriptions of each new rod and their intended application. Pick a name from one of the fabled bodies of water you have mentioned in your write up and you have a great name for that particular model. Change the tense in your write up to 3rd person narrative and the marketing text for the website is completed.

Just re-reading this post makes me want to buy two rods and head on up to MT.

Joe

Post 03 Feb 2015, 09:04 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Congrads Dusty that looks like a very nice line up. I would love to try them some day.

Bob

Post 03 Feb 2015, 09:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
jgentile wrote:
Just re-reading this post makes me want to buy two rods and head on up to MT.

Agreed. Very nice. Good luck with the new offerings.

Post 03 Feb 2015, 10:13 • #6 
Master Guide
Dusty,

Black e-glass? Whatever they are, I am super stoked for you!

Marty

Post 03 Feb 2015, 11:00 • #7 
Master Guide
Dusty Good luck on new rod series. Beautiful looking rod as wood grain is among the nicest I have ever seen. While you have Western waters in mind the 8'6" 3&5 weights scream Spring and Penns Creeks here in Central Pa doesn't it Bob?

Post 03 Feb 2015, 14:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the kind words so far! Joe is right, there are a couple more pics up on Facebook, feel free to click the link below to see the facebook page. I will be getting more pics of the rods sooner than later. Also a great idea on the marketing narrative.

For those thinking about getting out to MT and YNP to fish it's a great place and I'm more than happy to point people to some good water.

Thanks Marty! They are unsanded S-glass.

JASTrout, thanks for bringing the PA waters up. I have fished Penns, Oil Creek, Kettle, Pine, and the Catskills waters a lot and these rods will be perfect for those as well. I will be fishing PA sometime this spring and plan on bringing some.

Post 03 Feb 2015, 14:30 • #9 
Master Guide
Dusty You need to contact BobHa and hook up with a group of us this fall at his cabin at Kettle Creek. You can intro the rods to about a dozen guys who routine post here.

Post 03 Feb 2015, 20:53 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
already on top of it Jeff, there is a chance Dusty is stopping by

Bob

Post 03 Feb 2015, 22:16 • #11 
Guide
Dusty,

Nice rods - stop by in a couple of weeks to cast them on the spring creeks.

Tom

Post 14 Feb 2015, 12:27 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Just WOW.

Post 15 Feb 2015, 10:31 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent! Dusty. Bring a few along the next time you are in Bozeman. Looking forward to a casting clinic. :)

Post 15 Feb 2015, 14:56 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
The rods look great and a group of guys getting together sounds like a lot of fun

Post 15 Feb 2015, 16:17 • #15 
Master Guide
Dusty, they look pretty cool, we'll have to hook up when you are in my area and test that 8-6 5wt on the Delaware, I mean, let me test it, for at least a little while.

Post 29 Oct 2015, 14:51 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
FYI for everyone, Nelson's Spring Creek has a unique offering of 8'9" stealth 5wts available in a 4pc configuration. They are listed at $650 each and are phenomenal casting rods. Please PM me for their contact info. Pics of these rods can be seen at the topic below.

https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52937

Post 18 Dec 2015, 08:37 • #17 
Sport
bummed out -- just bought a new rod ... would have jumped on this

Post 29 Dec 2015, 15:06 • #18 
Blanks available for purchase? :o

Post 29 Dec 2015, 17:08 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
The blanks will be available for purchase in a couple of weeks but no longer under the Bozeman Rod Co. I will be making announcements shortly, probably next week. I just received some inventory however I am in Ohio until Sunday. Please Pm me with any questions in the meantime.

Dusty

New Topic Add Reply