It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:12

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Nov 2014, 09:23 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello everyone and happy Thanksgiving!
I wanted to share with you my second installment in my LTD series, a 7’5” 4/5wt Parabolic Limited Edition in a sunny yellow painted unsanded e-glass with black spigot ferrules.
This rod is equally fun with a DT4 or a WF5 line and roll casts effortlessly. This is a fully parabolic taper that bends with power to the grip.

4 will be available with nickel silver cap and ring seats with cork insert.
5 will be available with dual nickel silver rings over cork insert with a black phenolic or wood butt cap.

Grip shape is variable upon buyer’s request.

Guides and seat hardware will be available either darkened or matte nickel silver finish.

There will be 10 of these rods made with 9 available (I’m keeping one!). Expected completion is by the end of December 2014.

The cost is $515 plus shipping with a $150 deposit upon reservation. Please send reservation requests to cbarclayflyrods@gmail.com and include all necessary contact information, seat and hardware finish preference.

Post 27 Nov 2014, 14:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Wow looks great Chris......aurelio

Post 27 Nov 2014, 19:13 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome news and beautiful builds. This series and cosmetics remind me a little bit of the Pezon Bamboo rods, which were Parabolic!

Dusty

Post 29 Nov 2014, 15:59 • #4 
Guide
Looks amazing Chris. Hope to own one of your builds in the future when I got more money. :)

Post 30 Nov 2014, 15:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool. Dig the vid and the shot of the rod flexing into the grip
Beautiful finish. I like your choice of thread colors. Something about it reminds me of the Axisco rods. Maybe it's the black spigots. Are they fiberglass spigots?

Post 30 Nov 2014, 23:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys! These rods are very sweet, and if I can say so, exceeded my expectations when aiming for a some other parabolic glass rods I've owned and cast.
The butt section is pretty much a flat taper and works well with the top two sections and it just carries the line smoothly without much effort.

Picketpin, the spigots are black fiberglass from the same taper as the blank. The blanks themselves are black fiberglass painted yellow.
Hope this answers your questions - feel free to ask more...

Post 01 Dec 2014, 09:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet!

Post 01 Dec 2014, 14:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Chris, thanks for the reply. I asked because I saw where one of the other rods mentioned here had spigots of black graphite- not that it matters, good or bad, but just curious. The blanks look super. Love the way they bend! its all about the BEND:). Did you roll and paint these blanks?

Post 01 Dec 2014, 16:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hi PP52, Thanks, I can't get enough of the bend of these blanks! No, I did not roll or paint these. They were done by my usual blank maker. The color turned out a little brighter than expected but it's growing on me.

Post 01 Dec 2014, 16:38 • #10 
Master Guide
Chris,

You continue to kick serious (gl)ass!

Marty

Post 01 Dec 2014, 16:41 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
HA! Thanks Marty!

Post 01 Dec 2014, 18:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Marty Romeo wrote:
Chris,

You continue to kick serious (gl)ass!

Marty

Ditto!

Post 02 Dec 2014, 22:01 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The 1/4" cork rings are true classic look Chris - very cool looking rod Sir!

Post 05 Dec 2014, 15:59 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks John! Most of these rods will have 1/2" cork but I wanted to build the first one with 1/4" just for a bit of fun. I used to do my cork seats with 1/4" cork and like the structure the glue joints give the seat - but that's getting down to the minute details that probably don't really matter that much. ;) I'm thinking about doing one of these rods with a ventilated grip as that would be fitting for this kind of taper. So many options!
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Post 08 Dec 2014, 14:53 • #15 
Master Guide
Beautiful rod grip, great parabolic action, I love it.

I'm saddened can't find such rod in my country.

To tell the truth not a skilled caster into the movie. Rod would deserve someone more sensitive to the timing .

Surely not a blue collar price.

Glass rods are sadly passing through a worrying surge in prices.

Please forgive frankness in my words.

They cost me a lot. I'd rather be sincere.

Greetings from Italy.

Maurizio

Post 09 Dec 2014, 07:21 • #16 
Sport
Nice glass rod Chris , great look phenolic black butt cap,
good action rod and timing in video and
and last but not least nice dog!!!

Andrea

Post 09 Dec 2014, 12:29 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Maurizio, I agree that I can use some more casting practice but I felt it was important to film the action of the rod. Also, I understand the concern about being able to afford buying a rod - I try to price them reasonably but I also need to support my family. It's a hard line to walk! Regardless, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks Andrea! And yes, the dog makes a good fishing partner.

Post 09 Dec 2014, 13:41 • #18 
Master Guide
Thank you CBarclay, for your kind answer.
I admit to having written under the influence of frustration.

Perhaps I didn't consider enough the question....But please push forward that forearm,..:)

Greetings

Maurizio

Post 09 Dec 2014, 14:07 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Maurizio, Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try!

Post 16 Dec 2014, 12:17 • #20 
Master Guide
CBarclay wrote:
Maurizio, I agree that I can use some more casting practice but I felt it was important to film the action of the rod.

Couldn't we all? Any man who thinks he has it all figured out is deceiving himself. Great looking rods Chris. I am biting at the bit to try one!

Colt

Post 24 Dec 2014, 11:59 • #21 
Master Guide
I have had the very fortunate opportunity to handle #1 in this series for the past few days. All I can say is WOW! This rod is awesome! I paired the rod with a new Orvis CFO II reel and a Rio Indicator 4wt. line. The line has a short heavy head (akin to a bass bug taper) for turning over indicator rigs. I like the line quite a bit as the first few feet of line has a bright orange indicator tip. The line is more of a 4 1/2 (4.5) wt. line. The line was a perfect match for the rod.

When I first received the rod, the aesthetics really struck me. The painted blank with black spigot ferrules reminded me a lot of a Kenney (not the color, just the texture of the painted and unsanded blank). Chris chose the perfect thread colors to compliment the bright yellow blank. I LOVE the orange wraps tipped in red. The rod really pops with color yet remains tasteful (in my opinion). Just looking at the rod makes me want to tie on a bluegill popper!

The physical weight of the rod also reminded me of a Kenney. Let me explain: I have found Kenney's rods to be pretty hefty (physically). The physical weight of the rod impacts and is a fundamental element to the rod's action, which I might refer to as a "cane-like" action, where the weight of the rod contributes to loading of the rod. Chris' LTD rod shares this characteristic. The mid-length (7'5") prevents the LTD from feeling too heavy though. For me, it is not too heavy to interrupt the fun I have casting the rod.

Speaking of casting, the rod's action is noticeably different than pretty much any other rod I have handled. The tip is unusually strong, which I believe is directly responsible for the parabolic action. Instead of the rod flexing in the tip section, the extra-strong tip forces the rod to "first" start bending in the mid section, even on short casts. The net result is a full flexing rod or a parabolic action. What I quickly discovered is that the FULL power of the rod is easily tapped into because of the unique action. This made the rod shoot line better than almost any other rod I have handled. The rod is excellent in this regard.

On the water, I tied on a #8 bead head wooly bugger. This is a fly that I would characterize as "on the heavier and larger side" for a 4wt. rod, but nonetheless a fly size and weight that I fish quite often. The rod easily roll cast and shot line notwithstanding the heavier/larger bugger. In fact, it handled the weighted fly better than any 4wt. I have cast. So the strong tip also causes the rod to have plenty of power. With 15 feet of line in the air I was able to shoot 25 feet making 40 foot casts with ease. Not bad for a 4wt. casting a weighted wooly bugger!

In the end, I called Chris and told him he was not going to get this rod back. I am keeping it! I think he has two or three left. If you are at all interested, you would be making a mistake NOT to grab one of these!

Colt

New Topic Add Reply