It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:42

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply

What's your favorite fly line color?
Poll ended at 26 May 2014, 17:17
White 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Cream 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Tan 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
Olive 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Orange 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Green 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Yellow 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 94
Re: Fly Line Colors
Post 05 May 2014, 13:09 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
White, however the only white lines I fish are the old Rio Lumilux Classics of which I have a few.

Unfortunately for me when I buy a line, color is last on my list of priorities. I inevitably choose a regular taper, regular weight DT that is supple and floats good and preferably has a welded loop. These days that typically means I am buying a Sci Angler Mastery Trout which is some sort of green color that I have got used to, but don't particularly like.

I have recently tried real silk on some of my bamboo rods and I chose the natural color which reminds me of uncooked spaghetti. ;).

Post 05 May 2014, 17:28 • #27 
Master Guide
Given that tan wasn't an option in the original poll, has quickly climbed to 2nd place, and the number of comments mentioning tan/buckskin as favorites, I wonder how many of the "other" votes were actually for tan.

Post 05 May 2014, 18:17 • #28 
Administrator
Cross Creek wrote:
I wonder how many of the "other" votes were actually for tan.
The poll was reset when it was edited.

Post 05 May 2014, 21:19 • #29 
White, Cream, or Olive.

Post 06 May 2014, 08:56 • #30 
Sport
I enjoy olive or any of the muted tans, creams. I really dislike the fluorescent oranges, yellows and greens.

Post 31 May 2014, 18:06 • #31 
Guide
Thank you all for contributing. Seems olive and a lighter tan/white/buckskin is the way to go. We are currently trying to get tapers worked out and getting the rest of everything going. Will keep you informed as we make progress.

Tom

Post 01 Jun 2014, 12:39 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Late to the party... I am all for lines I can see. Orange, yellow, white. Green/olive wayyyyy down my list. I just unspooled a wf6f green off a reel and threw it away, put on a yellow lline.

I have an old sink tip with a BRIGHT ORANGE tip, first 10 ft. I love it. Even underwater I can see that tip twitch.

Post 02 Jun 2014, 22:12 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
No real preference here. I have lines in nearly all those colors.

Post 09 Jun 2014, 19:43 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Shadow Fly Fishing sells some decent Chinese lines that they dye per the customer's request. I always wanted a purple line and now I have a couple.

Post 11 Jun 2014, 11:52 • #35 
Sport
Olive green and clear in that order. Although I don't have a clear line and I never buy a line for the color. I buy for specific type. The olive can be very hard to see in the air.

Post 11 Jun 2014, 14:07 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
oops

Last edited by Rockthief on 16 Jun 2014, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Jun 2014, 21:50 • #37 
Master Guide
I recently fished with a H&H olive line...Olive is too difficult to see, especially in low light conditions. I'm going to use the olive for lawn casting. I like any other color I can see for fishing purposes...whites, yellows, greens, but I generally fish with Cortland Peach...

Post 19 Jun 2014, 22:06 • #38 
Sport
Although the SA Willow is hard for me to see with low light, I always feel that it's hard to see for the trout too.

Post 11 Nov 2014, 22:28 • #39 
Guide
Any updates on the fly line color project?

Post 11 Nov 2014, 23:41 • #40 
Guide
Actually there is. After some bumps in the road we have, according to the manufacturer, some final samples showing up in a week or so. They will go out to be fished hard and hopefully we nailed it. Color will be a light olive as a first offering and sizes initially will be 3 thru 7 or possibly 8 weights, both DT and WF in each. I'd like to acknowledge and thank everyone who responded to my numerous requests for your preferences - the responses were very helpful and helped shape our choices.

The Facebook page is up and running as of yesterday. Not a lot on it yet but will add content as time goes by. Please feel free to add anything you like as the whole point is be a source of news for us and a place to meet new friends. Simply type in "406 Fly Lines" and you should find us.

There are days I feel like I'm in a Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon. You know the one - Bullwinkle says"watch me pull a rabbit out of the hat", Rocky says" aw, that trick never works", and Bullwinkle says" this time for sure!"

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2014, 07:28 • #41 
Master Guide
Hello to you all mates,

I wondered why the choice of line color is interesting to us ?

Just a matter of fashion? I do not think so ... You might be thinking that a color camo is useful for hiding the line to fish .... Or the color is useful to better spot the line by peripheral view .... The colors can not rappresent only a mere list.

I really believe the discussion is cripple with no personal opinion on the function of color.

In any case, all opinions are equally important to me.

I hope not bore anyone, but only to draw your attention.

Thanks for reading.

Maurizio

Post 12 Nov 2014, 09:57 • #42 
Guide
Hi Maurizio,

My intent in starting this thread was to simply get a feel for colors that people like or feel comfortable with. I own 406 Fly Lines and wanted to find out what the preference on line colors was for our new lines. It has been very helpful. A discussion on why a certain color gets chosen over another is, I think, a personal choice based on experience, observation, and a hundred other intangibles that would be near impossible to quantify.

Tom

Post 18 Nov 2014, 19:22 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
yep, sounds like the OP is just doing a little market research....

Post 27 Mar 2015, 03:14 • #44 
Guide
Olive and mustard are the colors I am using the most but also have a reel with peach on it.
Muted colors are important here in sight fishing as bright colors can send trout scurrying for cover very quickly. I might add I do very little fishing in low light conditions where a brighter or lighter colored line would be helpful.

Post 27 Mar 2015, 10:24 • #45 
Master Guide
Sorry I didn't immediately realized it was a market research, I just was a little suspect.

My thought is fishermen need to spot their line without no efforts, in several light conditions.
May be everyone of us get a different visual perception about colour of line against surrounding landscape.

Due to the fact I do realized I had difficult to spot darker line colors during vaulting, I shared my opinion with mates and some of them were in the opinion,it is not necessary the sight, but sensibility in casting as like we throw our line into the darkness.

I'm pretty daylight caster, and I realize how it's important to me a clear vision of the swinging line, especially in smaller streams or when precise cast are needed.

My necessity increases during sun set, overall in the evening, during one the more interesting moments for fly fishing as spinner fall is.

This is the matter I do prefer light or vivid line colors.

I have no reason to think bright colors bother the fish, my leaders are really long ( around fifteen feet ) to keep line far from fish sight.

What I would like to point out, is we often forget to provide personal experience motivations which are the real interest into a talk.

I hope not to be branded as controversial, in case you want to accept my apology please.

Cheers

Maurizio

Post 13 Apr 2015, 13:35 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
For me aesthetics are pretty important. Optic yellow lines are very visible and in some bad light situations that's nice but they also spoil the scenery a bit. Grey (blue heron) lines look really nice to me on the water but sometimes they are hard to see. Cream coloured lines are probably the best combination of high visibility and not offending the eye. At the end of the day I care more about the taper than the colour. I have lines in all the colours imaginable and use them all.

Post 26 Apr 2015, 19:22 • #47 
Sport
Favorite is peach (444), but right now I am using a blue, dont remember the manufacture but it is a great line. My only other color would be lime green.

Post 28 Apr 2015, 12:11 • #48 
Piscator
I love this coral-pink Airflo chalkstream 6-wt.
I honestly think olive lines are a mistake - you spend too much attention concentrating on your line
also, if you check the results, Not Olive wins by 72 to 22.

Post 20 Dec 2015, 06:50 • #49 
Master Guide
No preference. My fly lines are different colors (all Cortland 444's) which makes it easy to grab the right spool for what I'm doing, especially among the 5wts, of which I have several. I've come to the conclusion that line color makes no difference to the fish.

BB

Post 21 Dec 2015, 07:39 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Tan would be first choice but really don't care that much.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply