It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:40

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Spring Creek Blanks
Post 07 Mar 2014, 14:56 • #1 
Master Guide
I just wanted to drop a note and give an update, have had some questions. I have been working on improvements and taking advice from some great folks on here. The results are starting to show with these blanks, and I have been test casting, spigot inspecting and going back and forth making subtle changes for improvement, and the word has been getting out. To those that do not know my background, let’s just say I was born and raised on trout streams here in Pennsylvania.

The spring creek series blanks that I offer are now improved in quality for the price and are very competitive. The response by rod builders has been well received globally. The spigots are now lighter and hollow for better technical wt and performance. The two blanks in these pics are “Spring Creek” 7 foot 3 , 4wt 3 piece spigot ferrule(I also offer a 7 foot 6 5/6 wt). The other is a Native Brook 3 piece 6 footer 2/3 tip over butt. Both are sweet little rods.

The answers are as follows:
  • Spigot Blanks are made for me by a well-respected overseas manufacturer and in conjunction by a fellow rod maker in Japan. He and I inspect the tapers, quality, and performance. As far as I know the spigot blanks are made for Mountain Brook.
  • The tip over butt ferrules are made also by the same well respected glass manufacturer.
  • The goal is to offer quality blue collar blanks at an affordable price for a great build, and most importantly (enjoyment, and to create great fishing memories)! I personally fish every blank taper I offer. No they are not bling blanks, but can be turned into whatever ya want, for an economical price.
  • I enjoy the art of this craft like many other talented (very talented) builders on this site. I also craft a unique custom tube that I personally sketch and draw the images on with an old dip and ink pen. I have been fortunate to ship some of these all over the world.

Cheers and thanks!

http://www.mtnbrookrods.com

Re: Spring Creek Blanks
Post 07 Mar 2014, 16:26 • #2 
Guide
I just finished building the 7'6" 5/6, I like this blank a lot. I like the slower full flexing glass and this 5/6 works for me. I have cast it with both a DT5 & DT6 (cabela's cheepest line) & like it with both. I also have the 7'3" blank, it feels quicker in the wiggle test, I have not built it yet.
I hope to fish the 5/6 this weekend & maybe get some pics, the rod is not slow like a Lami & not as quick or light as a McFarland yellow 7'9" 3pc 4/5, its some where in between, I like the feel of it.
Mike is very easy to work with IMO
I came home & tested the rod again, its bend is in the upper 2/3rds, soft tip - stout butt, its a 3pc. I liked it with a WF6 bass wonderline, SA Ultra3 DT7, DT5 & DT6.
I was only casting to 30' leader included.

Last edited by 2wtt on 08 Mar 2014, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Mar 2014, 16:41 • #3 
Master Guide
Well I'm impressed and even more so with your philosophy of offering solid performing rods and blanks at a very reasonable price. Keep it up and good luck! Jim

PS: That 7'6" 5/6 has my attention!

Post 07 Mar 2014, 21:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Like the looks of the new blanks, and encouraged by the reviews!

Post 15 Mar 2014, 04:09 • #5 
Guide
I built up one of your older brown blanks and its a fun little rod. 7'6" #4 and looks like the Rustic River blanks. Kudos to your good work.

Post 23 Mar 2014, 12:39 • #6 
I just received 2 of these blanks yesterday, the 6'-6" 4pc. 2/3 wt and the 7'-6" 3pc 5wt. I'm looking forward to building these out and will check back in to give some feedback. And you are right 2wtt, Mike is a good guy. Good communication and easy to work with. Thanks Mike!

Post 24 Mar 2014, 09:18 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks guys! JD, glad your custom tube, and blanks got there safe and sound. Good Luck on the builds! Good to see ya on the FFR!
cheers
Mike

New Topic Add Reply