It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:40

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Dec 2013, 11:32 • #1 
Administrator
I know that we all have our own opinions on the Cabela's CGT fly rods but for those that like them there is a one day (December 12, 2013) code to use for 25% Off the already reduced fly rods. They should work out to be less than $60 each.

Use code "3GIFT25" online for the discount.

Post 12 Dec 2013, 13:32 • #2 
Sport
I wish you hadn't posted this.

They come to $56.24 after the discount. If you like a faster action and plan to upline 2 or three line wts that is a awesome price for a decent rod, IMO. They must be sitting on a pile of them, they haven't been full price in a while.

Post 12 Dec 2013, 16:51 • #3 
Sport
I just ordered the 765-3, instead of lurking here for more years I'll see what this fiberglass fly fishing is all about; only problem is, I'll have to wait 'til spring!
Jim

Post 12 Dec 2013, 19:32 • #4 
Master Guide
jsentell wrote:
I just ordered the 765-3, instead of lurking here for more years I'll see what this fiberglass fly fishing is all about; only problem is, I'll have to wait 'til spring!
Jim

The CGT is most definitely NOT what fiberglass fly fishing is all about, christ, theres more negative than positive reviews on the Cabela's site itself on them. An Eagle Claw Featherlight would of been a much better starting point, and cheaper too!

Post 12 Dec 2013, 20:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
The CGT is most definitely NOT what fiberglass fly fishing is all about. . .

Thank you.

Now that the price, though, is approaching that of retail resale on a Chinese blank, we could just about consider putting one on the whirling dresser and see if we could grind our way down to something that bends.

Post 12 Dec 2013, 22:44 • #6 
Guide
I hate to say it ... still not worth the money.

Post 13 Dec 2013, 08:17 • #7 
Sport
Thank goodness Cabela's sends a prepaid UPS return label with your order, I'll send it back and be finished with fiberglass and attitudes ...

Post 13 Dec 2013, 09:00 • #8 
Master Guide
jsentell wrote:
Thank goodness Cabela's sends a prepaid UPS return label with your order, I'll send it back and be finished with fiberglass and attitudes ...

I can just imagine some poor soul picking up a CGT and thinking to ones self "Boy, i've been hearing a whole lot about fiberglass lately. This CGT sure looks nice, I'll bet its a real nice change of pace from my graphite rods, I can't wait to wet a line with it!"

Fast forward 2 weeks after said customer has had a chance to try out the rod ...

"This whole fiberglass thing is a whole load of slug turds! Good thing Cabela's has a great return policy, I'm done with this!"

A little research goes a long ways. And the world of fiberglass rods really is awesome and wonderful, as long as its not a CGT. Do not despair!

Post 15 Dec 2013, 22:08 • #9 
Sport
A lot of people on this board that are far better casters and have far more experience than I do will disagree, but I have the older, green model in a ... what was it, 7/8 wt? I fish it with an 8 wt. line and like it for bass and pike. I'm sure an epic or a steffen would be better, but I picked it up for a similar sale price and have enjoyed it. The cast tends to fall apart at, oh, 40-50 ft or so (60 if I exaggerate the distance of my casts), but in closer, it's fun to cast and fun to fish. I'm sure the cast fall apart due to the small stripping guides and not my casting ability, by the way.

Cast it, see if you like it, and if you don't, send it back!

Post 16 Dec 2013, 00:37 • #10 
Guide
i wouldn't judge too much till you have owned one or cast one,that is a bargain,look at the people that post on cabelas as they rate them,most are new fly fisherman ,i have the 6'6" 2 wt sure i cast a 3wt line but it is a fun rod,i have the cgr also it is ok,look at the people that rave about the Kabuto and Epic rods they rave about them and they overline them also at $550. i have cane- vintage glass- graphite been flyfishing since the 1960s ,these aren't that bad and a bargain,just sayin.

Post 16 Dec 2013, 08:22 • #11 
Master Guide
Another Platonist wrote:
A lot of people on this board that are far better casters and have far more experience than I do will disagree, but I have the older, green model in a ... what was it, 7/8 wt? I fish it with an 8 wt. line and like it for bass and pike. I'm sure an epic or a steffen would be better, but I picked it up for a similar sale price and have enjoyed it. The cast tends to fall apart at, oh, 40-50 ft or so (60 if I exaggerate the distance of my casts), but in closer, it's fun to cast and fun to fish. I'm sure the cast fall apart due to the small stripping guides and not my casting ability, by the way.

The CGR(green rod) and CGT are like night and day ... The CGT still feels like a short graphite rod more than it feels like a short glass rod

Post 16 Dec 2013, 08:35 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Another Platonist wrote:

Agreed.

I never have understood why someone will not at least cast a rod and see what they think. Kinda reminds me of the guys who would not even try a sage circa because of it's "high" cost. Seems silly.

Les

Post 16 Dec 2013, 13:39 • #13 
Master Guide
After thinking about it, I realize I've been all wrong. 56.24 is a heck of a deal for a graphite rod :lol

Post 16 Dec 2013, 14:00 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I have the CGT 5'9" 3 weight and I like it for smaller streams because it roll casts very well. I just pretend it is graphite. If I want a more traditional Cabela's glass-like action, I go with the CGR.

Hey, it's a nice rod in its own right!

Post 16 Dec 2013, 16:55 • #15 
Master Guide
I totally took advantage of the 1 day sale ... No cgt ... I have a 7.5 4wt Imperial(graphite) and a 6' 5wt Herters rod(glass by St Croix) ... Figured I'm good now on the short sticks ... But I did get two of their CZN rods ... 9.5 3wt and 11' 4wt ... For right at $200 ... That's $400 worth of rods ... The 11' was for giggles ... They discounted all the CZNs that day ... The 11'er turned into a impulse purchase ...

Post 16 Dec 2013, 16:56 • #16 
Master Guide
SwampTrout wrote:
After thinking about it, I realize I've been all wrong. 56.24 is a heck of a deal for a graphite rod :lol

You could've gotten a Three Forks rod for $24 that day ... =)

Post 17 Dec 2013, 11:20 • #17 
Administrator
I'm glad to hear the discount code resulted in some happy shoppers.

If you can fish with it, it's good.

Tom

Post 18 Dec 2013, 08:26 • #18 
Sport
UPS delivered the Cabela's CGt yesterday, didn't have time to open the package. Opened it today, tried to flex the butt section, no luck. Mid-section slightly flexed. Tip section flexed in half.
Now, as I have a 75X175' open municipal lot next to me, I practice cast all the time; can hit a dime at 50' with any rod I own. But, I understand that the vast majority of fly anglers don't have this situation and the only time they get to practice casting is when they go fishing. Therefore, I never reply to board members on the several boards I belong to when they complain about a particular rod not casting worth a ****.
If I own, or have owned a particular rod that someone is anticipating, I speak of my own experience in courteous, non-haughty or condescending terms. That's called manners. After 69 years I still use them.

For example, if I were replying to Jim Sentell's post about taking advantage of Cabela's sale on the CGt and the additional discount from this board, I would say something like this: "Hi Jim, nice to see you on the Board. I've had the CGt and it is a little stiff for fiberglass, but some folks like a little faster rod regardless of material. The price is tremendous and if you like it, great. If not, you have a good back-up rod just in case. Orvis, Redington and Rajeff Sports are coming out with new fiberglass offerings for 2014, you might want to look at one of them. Other guys on this board sell some really nice glass rods from time-to-time and you can get a lot of info from the members here. Let us know what you think of the CGt." Regards, SwampTrout.

So, I'm sending the rod back today, although, I could use just the tip section and do quite well, but having the reel on the ground would cause some questions from other anglers in the area! There's an Orvis store about 20 miles from me and I'll try their new introduction to the glass offerings as soon as they hit the store. I have several of the Orvis Superfine Touch rods and they're fantastic medium action rods. Very close emulation to glass and cane; but, I'm open-minded.

See, that's how you do it without being ignorant.

kindest regards to all, Jim

Post 18 Dec 2013, 09:27 • #19 
Guide
Nevermind

Post 18 Dec 2013, 18:14 • #20 
Master Guide
What can I say, I'm a back woods native trout hunting redneck that tells it like it is.

For a guy that seems to be awfully well "informed", your pretty ignorant yourself. As for me, I had all my ignorance blown off me from the left knee down about 8 years ago in some god forsaken sand pit.

And after all that fuss ... you still send the rod back, you crack me up.

Post 18 Dec 2013, 19:17 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Please keep this civil, SwampTrout and jsentell. We have a very civilized forum here and we don't take kindly to name-calling.

Post 18 Dec 2013, 20:10 • #22 
Master Guide
I do wish they'd bring back the CGR's. I really enjoy my 6'6" 4 weight.

Post 06 Jan 2015, 19:32 • #23 
They have brought back the CGR fly rod!

Mark

Post 06 Jan 2015, 21:32 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Mark,

If you look at top right hand corner of previous posts you can see their from 2013.

Barry

Post 02 Feb 2015, 12:06 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Good point. I probably have some of the details crossed up as there are many examples, but the essence of the story will be correct. In the 1960s--the burgeoning mail order and leisure products era growing out of the 1950s--Outdoor Life ran an article that included a large spread of older advertisements from outfits like Sears and Montgomery Wards. These ads, of course, reflected pricing of their time period. Wouldn't you know, some of the companies got orders for the old products (let's say, a Pflueger or Ocean City fly reel) at the old prices. I probably have the details pretty well mixed up, but stuff like that did happen. So I locked this thread and put the sale date in the title to prevent a cyberspacial reoccurrence. It's still a good thread to read, but the particular sale is history.

New Topic Add Reply