It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:04

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 May 2014, 09:32 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Mark,

It was in no ways my intention to criticise you personally, but your posting was 'used' as an example to ask the question about recommendations. Again, please don't feel bad about this.

Back to the topic:
Workmanship is surely what can be judged. Especially when one has seen or owned rods made by top builders like Wojnicki. I'm confident that Barclay rods are top notch finished rods.

Yes please, we need feed back on how a rod or blank turns out in real fishing conditions a well as how it performs casting-wise. The more feed back, the more 'precise' the feed back gets.

About performance of the rod/blank:
I can only speak for myself, but how often I see people test a rod on the parking lot and say 'this rod cast great' while the loop control is horrible, etc. If mediocre casters start recommending a rod, I'd be very careful with their judgement. But how do you know what the casting abilities is of the person who posts a judgement?

I think people who are excellent casters (maybe we need a list of people who can be labeled as excellent casters) can confirm or dispute (in a objective manner please!) if a rod/blank casts well, which line weight (is it indeed a 4 weight as it is sold?), how does it perform in real life, etc.
Especially when we're talking about price of rods/blanks that are mentioned isn't exactly peanuts, I'd like a 'pro' judgment before venturing in buying one.

Post 06 May 2014, 12:49 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
Lugan wrote:
it's great that you like Chris' rods so much, but can you be specific about why? How do they perform? What would you compare them to? How fast or slow are they?

Lugan,
I'll jump in here only because as I was fishing my 7'2" 3 wt. last week (the only rod of Chris' that I have), I was thinking of comparisons. I notice similarities with a Scott F2 653 and a Fenwick FF79, two favorite dry fly rods. I hesitate to talk about tapers, but those rods seem to me to have a transitional zone somewhere around mid-blank to upper third (quarter?) that I'm able to engage fairly easily to put a finishing "flick" in the cast to lay the leader and last bit of line out with controlled slack; i.e., the aerial mend that lays the terminal end down on the line (make that slack line) that I want and keeps me ahead of the drag. Also helps when putting a (fairly light) nymph dropper on and giving a tuck cast effect to drop it straight below the dry, although that use has mostly been with the FF79. Whatever I'm experiencing could just be tied to my natural timing and fairly wristy style (I fish small streams a lot). Although the "zone" (if that's what it is) seems easy to find, it's also subtle enough to blow right by without any notice if I'm casting for distance, and the tip is certainly castable all by itself in close. I'd say the characteristic I'm describing is at "normal" fishing (not casting) distance for the rods, say 12 or 15 ft. from hand on the shorter ones to 35-40' on the FF79, and again, I need to put that flick/mend in there, but it's easy to dial in. And now that I think of it, I've noticed similar action on the older 8'6" Diamondglass 4 wt. (although less pronounced), the Steffen 8' 3/4 (mine is 5 piece) and maybe a vintage Scott yellow blank 8' 5 wt. that Mike McFarland ferruled and another member here finished out (newer rod to me).

As to fast/slow, I'd say faster than average for glass, but by no means anything I want to label "fast," although certainly faster than my Lami 7' 3wt. or 7'6" 4 wt. I hesitate to put any such label on any glass rod; I feel my general lack of experience and knowledge when it comes to tapers.

FWIW, I'd say that my casting skills are average for a guy who's been enjoying fly fishing as much as possible (usually too little) for 25 years. Hope that helps.

Post 07 May 2014, 16:29 • #78 
Administrator
ibookje ... I know it's not to helpful for you since you are in Europe but one of the reasons that I wanted to put together the TFM Demo Fly Rod Program was to put the fly rod(s) that someone was looking at in their hands to cast and fish before they dropped hundreds of dollars on it.

The act of fly casting can be so different from person to person and I'll admit that I've seen quite a few casters that I wonder how they know what they like or don't since their skills are seriously lacking. That said, I don't consider myself that great of a caster either.

It's sometimes hard to put into words how a fly rod feels or casts since it can be so different from person to person and fly line to fly line that is being used on a fly rod. It's best to put the fly rod in your hands if you can.

Post 07 May 2014, 16:44 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron,

I think your Demo rod program is a very unique and extremely thankful idea.
I hope there will be an European version soon.

Post 09 May 2014, 10:29 • #80 
Master Guide
I received a little brass-capped tube from Chris yesterday. Didn't have a lot of time after I dragged home at 7pm, but I pulled a beauty of a 7'8" 4wt out, mounted a CFO on it, and went out to lawn cast. The reel was loaded with a Supra WF5, but Supras are dead on in weight, so a WF5 is about as heavy as 40 ft of DT4. One of my favorite lawn-casting tricks is to find a spot where both my backcast and forward cast has to thread the needle through and under trees. Tells me just how stable and accurate the blank is ... Chris' rod was letter perfect, laying out 45 ft casts over and over without a snag. It also can straighten a 9 ft leader with only a couple of feet of line, and everything in between. Roll-casting, even on grass, was smooth and controllable. I wanted a great 4/5wt to replace my long-gone 1977 vintage Winston 765-3 glass. I think Chris' rod is prettier (and translucent!), casts at least as well, if not better, and is certainly lighter than my old Winston. He has a new 5wt I haven't tried yet, but I may not need to ... think I've found my new "one" rod.

Post 09 May 2014, 11:48 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
Good to hear, Arthur! I'm waiting for a 5wt from Chris, and I have a feeling my expectations will come true.

Post 09 May 2014, 18:12 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
Apparently I'm in good company. I'm waiting on a 4wt. And much more excited about it after reading CC's report.

Post 09 May 2014, 18:36 • #83 
Master Guide
Can't imagine you not loving it, Joe. It's a sweetheart of a rod :)

Post 19 May 2014, 09:12 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" I finally was able to get one of the Barclay rods on the water this past weekend. I fished he 7'10" 3/1 5wt. A stunner. Light and quick to the tip. But powerful when needed. It has a heart unlike many "Plastic" rods on the market. I fished mostly nymphs as the creek was high from run-off but she handled both a single fly as well as a double with the point or stretcher fly weighted heavily to get down in the water column. The rod picked up subtle ticks from the bottom as well as the initial tap from a trout with equal sensitivity. I did have a bit of dry fly fishing as late in the day a spinner fall of Western March Browns fell. I liked the rod best a distances of 20 or more feet but she will handle in close casting too. I was able to "Check" casts at will and the rod responded as expected. Left hand curve casts were a snap. I am very pleased. Can't wait to get the other two Barclays on the water later this year.

Post 19 May 2014, 11:05 • #85 
Sport
Cameron wrote:

The act of fly casting can be so different from person to person and I'll admit that I've seen quite a few casters that I wonder how they know what they like or don't since their skills are seriously lacking.

This describes me quite well, however I still manage to get it done. I'm pleased with the Chris's 3wt for casting as well as with the feedback felt with a fish on the far end. Your mileage may vary, but I doubt anyone could find good reason to be disappointed in it (the 3wt that is, haven't gotten my hands on the others yet).

Post 19 May 2014, 13:14 • #86 
Master Guide
Hellmtflies wrote:
"OK" I finally was able to get one of the Barclay rods on the water this past weekend. I fished he 7'10" 3/1 5wt.

I am curious as to what line or lines you fished the rod with. I only fished the prototype with Supra wf5. It was a joy to cast with this line, just wondering what you were using.

Post 19 May 2014, 16:35 • #87 
Inactive
jgentile wrote:
Hellmtflies wrote:
"OK" I finally was able to get one of the Barclay rods on the water this past weekend. I fished he 7'10" 3/1 5wt.

I am curious as to what line or lines you fished the rod with. I only fished the prototype with Supra wf5. It was a joy to cast with this line, just wondering what you were using.

I fished mine with a Rio Windcutter 5 weight. The combination worked well for me. The rod is a delight to fish.

Last edited by PDYFlyfish on 19 May 2014, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 May 2014, 17:28 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Zor,great picture and report...aurelio

Post 19 May 2014, 19:20 • #89 
Master Guide
I spent a good 30 minutes doing my version of Yellowstone Analysis of five weight glass. Seriously I had the pleasure of receiving a 7'10" 5 wght from Chris and the purchase , arrival data, package quality were just preliminaries to an awesome rod. If I chosed one word to described the tubes , sock and built. it would be Clean. Chris's build is in my opinion somewhat similar to a Kenney . That is a style unique to the individual. My other custom glass rods are Leiderman and Mcfarland builds and both have an evolution of style. This adds to a fantastic quality in what one chooses to purchase .

So lawn casting the most over used analysis in fly fishing. Let me just say different reels, brands. of lines , and even different weights this rod is so easy to feel good with it.. I will not attempt to compare it to others my " collection " as totally unnecessary and does it really matter? Chris builds a great rod, flat out easy to do business with and I am happy to have ownership.

Post 19 May 2014, 19:25 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
jgentile wrote:
Hellmtflies wrote:

I as using the SA "Trout" DT5F.

Post 20 May 2014, 06:58 • #91 
Sport
I fished my Barclay 5wt this past weekend on the local AR tailwater river and it works well with the RIO Gold WF5. I have found that the RIO Gold line is a great match for all of the CBarclay series rods.

Post 22 May 2014, 18:05 • #92 
Glass Fanatic
I spent a little time with Rio Gold line on my 3wt and I couldn't agree more. The rod was crisp and accurate up to 45', at which point, I run out of yard. I can't wait to get this pairing on the water.

Post 30 Jun 2014, 09:11 • #93 
Glass Fanatic
I've fished my Barclay #3 twice now and have to say it's my favorite #3 of all time....smooth doesn't even begin to describe it...and it rollcasts better than any rod I've ever owned....I also have an F2 653 which is extremely similar to the Barclay...it's a tad quicker, being 8" shorter...but I'd have to say in general the two rods are alike...the Scott a step quicker and the Barclay a step smoother....if you could only afford one you'd be pleased with either, but if I had to pick only one it would be the Barclay as the length is a bit more versatile.

Post 18 Oct 2014, 22:21 • #94 
Master Guide
While I haven't tried Chris' 7'10" 5wt, I have fished the 7'2" 3wt and the 7'8" 4wt a few times now, and these are really nice rods.

Very smooth and sweet, yet very stable in the tips for excellent accuracy and roll casting. Great tapers in my opinion, and good looking rods, too.

Speaking of which, I see Mandobear had a 7'8" 4wt Barclay listed in the For Sale section, but looks like it sold.

Post 23 Oct 2014, 10:19 • #95 
Glass Fanatic
Yes it did....... and WOW it is great!

Post 12 Jan 2015, 15:45 • #96 
Glass Fanatic
Just picked up the 7'8" #4....sweeeeet.....the rod that converted me to glass and my favorite glass rod is the black Scott F754...that being said, this one may be even sweeter (have to fish it under varying circumstances to know for sure)....they are very similar rods IMHO....extremely versatile.....the Barclay is (obviously) 2" longer which adds a touch to it's versatility....and it is crisper and has a better recovery.....and although it has nothing do to with performance, it looks nicer! Good job Chris!!

Post 16 Jan 2015, 09:24 • #97 
Glass Fanatic
I got to cast the 3wt. Barkley and it is nice but can't see any connection with the 653 F2,the rod that was close to the 653 that I cast was a Chris Barkley 4pc. Green rod that Rich ended up buying.When fishing both rods I found the F2 to be slightly better in close.

Post 26 Jan 2015, 23:46 • #98 
Glass Fanatic
I thought I'd share a couple videos of my 723 & 7105 (784 coming soon!).
Thanks!

Post 27 Jan 2015, 17:14 • #99 
Glass Fanatic
Chris great music reminds me when I hung out in Soulard........thanks aurelio

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply