It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:56

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Nov 2013, 23:58 • #26 
Sport
I got to hang out with Chris last week and cast his prototype while the first batch was being finished. I cast it alongside a few other super high end three weights and it definitely passes muster. In fact it's awesome! It really reminded me of a Scott F2 653, but with a bit of its own something extra in the butt section. Chris even let me take it go fish one day, but food poisoning had other plans so I never got it on the water. Oh well, I'll just have to save up (sell some graphite) and buy one. Chris's photos almost do justice for the rod's appearance. The seat hardware is cool and totally unique to this rod and the blank glows under light in a way that you need to see in person.

Aurelio, this rod is right up your alley. I was thinking of Costilla Creek while test casting it.

Chris, thanks for answering endless questions on finish techniques and the rest of the process. North Fork next time I'm in town!

Last edited by -Zor on 29 Nov 2013, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Nov 2013, 00:01 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Good for you Chris! looks great!

Bob

Post 29 Nov 2013, 06:57 • #28 
Guide
That is a beauty, Chris. I was hoping I'd bought my last rod, but. ...

Post 29 Nov 2013, 07:30 • #29 
Master Guide
I had the opportunity to fish the prototype back in late July. We originally were going to fish the trico spinner fall but late summer floods saw a change in our plans. We decided to chase smallies on a small ozark stream.

The line I used this day was a Wulff tt3. I fished size 10 hoppers, 16 bead head soft hackles, 12 leeches and 10 muddler minnows this day. My observations of the rod is that this rod is a true 3 wt. The rod has a nice lively tip. I wish we could have presented small dry flies but conditions weren't condusive. The rod mends well and has a nice progressive action. Obviously one is not going to chuck large articulated streamers with this rod, but the small streamers I fished this day loaded deeply and the rod had the power to drive them. And of course the fish on feeling is fantastic.

This is an outstanding little 3 wt for small stream trout, smallmouth bass and panfish rod. If any of you know Chris personally you will know that one of his loves is ultralight small stream fly fishing. This rod is an extension of his soul.

Congratulations Chris. I wish you nothing but success!

Joe

Post 29 Nov 2013, 09:38 • #30 
Sport
Your translucent 'brown ale' color is really gorgeous
Well done Chris!

Andrea

Post 29 Nov 2013, 09:44 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Chris,

Congratulations on designing your own blank / rod. Those who go from rod builder to rod designer have my admiration and respect. Your choices of blank manufacturer, reel seat, and other components show an extra effort in the design and a wonderful commitment to detail and aesthetics.

Wishing you all success in this venture.

Andrew.

Post 29 Nov 2013, 12:39 • #32 
Master Guide
Congrats and best of luck digging the color they looks sweet!

Post 29 Nov 2013, 14:19 • #33 
Master Guide
Beautiful, as expected. I especially like the hardware.

Post 29 Nov 2013, 22:05 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent! I'm in! payment has been sent. Looking forward to receiving the rod. can't wait.
Mark

Post 30 Nov 2013, 05:35 • #35 
Sport
Gorgeous rods, I love the brass hardware.

Post 30 Nov 2013, 16:54 • #36 
Master Guide
MBJRL wrote:
Another beauty from Jason's Magic Stump.

Yeah, that's my stump. Oddly enough Chris came up with that name years ago, who would have known?

Sadly, not a drop of sunlight that day. This rod glows in good sunlight. As soon as I get mine I will post some sunlit pics.

I have been watching Chris poor his heart and soul into this project for month after month. No stone left unturned, fussing over every detail. Personally, I think he nailed it. Bravo Mr. Barclay! And a double Bravo for that price point, an exceptional value!

Jb

Post 30 Nov 2013, 17:57 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Chris et al,

You are making it very hard to stay on course for the retirement savings plan. If I didn't pick up that wonderful J. Green 3wt that you built this summer, I'd be on this offering. From the descriptions given of the taper both on the forum and via emails, it sounds like my kind of light line rod.

rich

Post 30 Nov 2013, 18:24 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Chris will you be offering this rod in a 4 or 5 PC.?. ... DJ is making this rod sound really good ... aurelio

Post 01 Dec 2013, 17:16 • #39 
Ah Chris what can I add to what has already been said? Hear, hear, well done! It is truely a beautiful piece of work. To add to "the Mexican's" consternation; 4wt? 5wt? or, maybe that cute little 3wt? Decisions, decisions, decisions ... but at least one I will have.

Much success, Woody

PS I knew that was Jason's stump, I just knew it.

Post 02 Dec 2013, 18:41 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Nice Chris! Really like the color!

Post 04 Dec 2013, 19:41 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies wrote:
Excellent! I'm in! payment has been sent. Looking forward to receiving the rod. can't wait.
Mark

Hi Chris,
Thank you. The rod arrived tonight without issue. I have to say It feels, to use your words, sweet! The reel seat is excellent. I placed a Bogdan Narrow Baby Trout on it and she sat perfectly. Nice compliment. I have not been able to cast the rod just yet as it’s below zero as we speak so I may have to wait until things warm up a bit. Looks like the weekend may work. As far as the rest of the rod and package everything appears top shelf. I really appreciate your attention to detail. Thank you for offering this rod and shipping promptly. This rod appears to be head and shoulders above most glass rods out there and will sit proudly next to my Peak, Cummings, Claudio and Leonard glass rods. I may have to look more closely at the other rod configurations that you offer. ?
Thank you again.
Best, Mark

Post 04 Dec 2013, 21:49 • #42 
Guide
I too received my rod today from Chris ... i knew the second I saw it that i had to have one! It doesn't hurt I have a nice collection of 3wts. growing and it wouldn't be complete w/o this rod ... Chris did an excellent job of sourcing the components ... from the Japanese blank to the Kineya hardware (the detail that put me over the edge to be honest) ... the rod bag is one of finest I've seen as well ... his attention to detail is especially noticed once the rod is in hand ... if you're on the fence ... jump in ... I personally can't wait til spring.

Thanks Chris for a great transaction.. very pleased w/ my purchase.

-matt

Post 05 Dec 2013, 08:54 • #43 
Master Guide
Splendid work! Certainly a "looker" and well-sized and priced for the current market -- should be a big hit! Jim

Post 05 Dec 2013, 09:17 • #44 
Administrator
The C. Barclay Glass three weight arrived yesterday to be added to the T.F.M. Fly Rod Loan Program and I am beyond impressed. This is the first fly rod I've held in my hands that was built by Chris and his workmanship and attention to detail is top notch. I am going to order one of these fly rods from this series early next year.

If anyone is interested in demoing this fly rod please let me know through email at *** email address removed ***.

I will likely hold on to it for a couple weeks for my own notes and review and then put it in the demo program.

Chris, damn fine work. You should be very proud of this offering. Everything that has been said in this thread, and elsewhere, is very true. I can't wait to see what the four and five weight are like now.

Post 15 Dec 2013, 14:54 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
I spent the morning at Duff's Fly Shop today and got a chance to see and cast Chris' new offering and must say I loved it! We spent the morning sampling our new rods, a total of 5 of them, and the Barclay rod was even better in person. It's a gem for mountain brookie fishing which I love to do often, but will also casts beautifully when pushed a little. Congrats Chris on an outstanding piece of work.

Post 24 Dec 2013, 09:39 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I've enjoyed the 7'2" 3wt so much that I have ordered one of each of the 7'8" 4wt. and the 7'10" 5wt. Can't wait to get those buggers in hand. If they are anything like the little one I'm in for some really fine fishing.

Post 25 Dec 2013, 20:51 • #47 
Administrator
Hellmtflies ... that is quite an endorsement. I'm waiting to see which one I want to add to my collection once the four and five are available. Choices ... choices ...

Post 25 Dec 2013, 20:59 • #48 
Inactive
I'm down for the 5 weight. I am really looking forward to this rod!

Post 25 Dec 2013, 21:52 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
DELICIOUS!

Post 03 Jan 2014, 05:01 • #50 
Master Guide
Chris, these rods are beautiful. Saw the new ones on Epic blanks (another thread). Really love that 3pc 8'6".
I here they cast as good as they look - and, they look GOOD.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply