It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:16

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jan 2014, 00:57 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Cyangler, thanks so much! That Epic 686 is a fun rod.

Post 05 Jan 2014, 19:46 • #52 
Master Guide
Chris,

While at the Denver show this weekend I cast a bunch of Cameron's rods. Your 7'2" 3wt was a real gem. It reminded me a bit of my Scott F2 653, but with a little extra something.

Hard to believe, but the epic 686 casts even better than it looks. I borrowed the TFM loaner 686 several months ago for my Bighorn float and used it the whole time and was blown away. I cast Cameron's 686 again at the show yesterday and was reminded of how sweet of rod it was. 2 or 3 false casts and it will shoot out a full line.

Post 05 Jan 2014, 22:40 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Chase,
Glad you got to handle one and that you enjoyed it! Sounds like that show was quite fun. I wish I lived closer.

Post 06 Jan 2014, 17:22 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
ChaseD wrote:
Your 7'2" 3wt was a real gem. It reminded me a bit of my Scott F2 653, but with a little extra something.

Chase,

When I wrote Chris and asked him about this taper, that's exactly how he described it to me. It sounds like a great little fly rod. I Hope aurelio buys one and then sends it to me to test *G*.

rich

Post 06 Jan 2014, 17:41 • #55 
Master Guide
Hi Rich,

After recently learning a little bit about your taste in fly rod actions, I think you would love Chris's new 3wt. I have one and I feel like it has a more modern, but very similar feel to the Scott F 703 brown version. They are both progressive tapers, with very fast recovery and no wobble at all. I am by no means an expert on fly rods, and this is just my opinion. Over the last year, I have accumulated a few high end rods, and Chris's new 3wt is right there at the top.

Wes

Last edited by Admin on 06 Mar 2014, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Removed full quote of preceding post

Post 06 Jan 2014, 19:16 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
Wes,

I am sure of it. If I didn't buy a James Green 3wt from him last summer, I'd be all over this rod. The James Green 3wt that Chris built is absolutely outstanding as well so I am not all that disappointed. Bottom line is that there are a lot of very nice 3wt glass rods available. I spent more time on the water both here in Vermont and out in NM with mine last summer than any other rod in the closet.

rich

Last edited by Admin on 06 Mar 2014, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
Removed full quote of preceding post

Post 17 Jan 2014, 21:57 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Howdy everyone,
The response to the 3wts has been so overwhelming that I decided to go through with the production of the 4 & 5wts. I have the final prototypes in hand and have spent countless hours casting them (I can attest that they cast fine in -10deg weather, although I don’t!). I have to say that I’m extremely pleased with these rods and can’t wait to get them out there.
I expect the blanks to arrive by the end of January and will have completed rods in February.
The details will be the same as with the 3wts. The 4wt is 7’8″ and the 5wt is 7’10″ and both are three piece rods.
I will give an update as soon as they are ready to go. I will also post pictures as soon as possible. If anyone has questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the support, and good fishing!

Post 17 Jan 2014, 22:36 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
That's great news and I can't wait to get my hands on a couple of these.

Dusty

Post 17 Jan 2014, 23:44 • #59 
Master Guide
Dusty,

I think you will be pleased. Here is a clipped review I did on another forurm:

Chris and I went fishing yesterday. I guess one would call it "field research" or just the need to go fishing. We were on my favorite Ozark spring creek at around 0900. Chris was testing out his new 7'10" 5wt. and I was fishing my Orvis "Far & Fine 7'9" 5 wt. Weather predictions said that it would top out in the low 40's with gusty winds around 20 mph.

After a couple of hours of fishing the Orvis Chris handed me his stick. First impressions for me are always related to the aesthetics. The next few comments are related to his skill as a builder. Many here probably know Chris' work. If however you do not you should know that his work is top notch and I mean this. His wraps do not look like wraps but more like solid overlay's. The thread is packed together so tightly and all the wraps are straight without the slightest variance. The varnish work is smooth and even and with the 5-6 coats I believe he uses there is no "Factory" effect of being heavy handed or "globbed" on. As far as the design with respect to aesthetics this is where Chris' personality comes through on his rods. The grip design is all his, comfortable and just the right length. In this day in age of everyone wanting retro looks it is nice to know that Chris draws a line and is uncompromising. This is reflected in his choice of reel seat hardware. I suggested a down locking reel seat for the 5wt before handling the rod and was summarily dismissed. A flick of the wrist and that subject was closed. A man of principle, I like it.

On to the performance of his latest creation ... The wind was gusty and blowing hard. At times seemed to be coming from all directions. The rod was mated to Kineya 301 loaded with I believe SA supra. The rod had a noticeably heavier swing weight than the Orvis F&F, which had an Orvis Battenkill II click pawl reel on it. No big deal, just my impression. I would say that with my casting stroke the road loads evenly and consistently right to the grip. I believe one would call this “progressive.” I did not feel the rod loading in the grip but perhaps that is just my casting stroke. The release of the energy on the forward stroke is the same. Smooth and crisp would be my words. No tip jumping after the fly hit the water. Quick "recovery" I guess would be the adjective to describe this. I am no competitive caster by any means. I rarely need to throw 40' of line on the waters I fish. My concerns are accuracy and presentation. I was however able to push the rod when needed and I never felt the rod collapse or waver when throwing about 60’ of line. The rod roll casts like a dream and made my full flex Orvis Far & Fine feel like a Sage One by comparison. What I appreciate the most is the rods ability to load with the tip only. This rod will make delicate presentations at the shortest distances. Again, just my $.02 but in my opinion this is a very special rod that is really going to be a dry fly fisherman’s dream, able to handle size 30 trico’s and the largest hopper/dropper rigs one needs to throw. I also sincerely believe that the rod will handle all but the largest nymph rigs easily as well as many streamer applications.

Time to sell some gear…

Joe

Post 18 Jan 2014, 13:22 • #60 
Administrator
Joe ... interesting field notes. I can't wait for the TFM demos to arrive.

Post 21 Jan 2014, 12:09 • #61 
Sport
I have been saving for the 3 wt but now I can't determine which rod I'd rather have. Logically, the right move is to buy all three. Financially, snowball's chance

Post 06 Mar 2014, 10:52 • #62 
Master Guide
As for the 7'2" 3wt.

I had an opportunity to cast one when Chris was visiting family in December here in TX. I can say that rod is as good a 7ft 3wt as any rod in any material that I have ever cast. I even say this against the cane rods that I build and have cast. It is light and fluid, and just lovely.

Post 09 Mar 2014, 17:13 • #63 
Master Guide
Looks very, very nice Chris. And the reports so far are encouraging. Great job!

I really like the Scott F2 653/3, and to hear some comparisons between your 7'2" 3wt and this Scott (as well as a brown Scott F703) are peaking my interest.

* Has anyone possibly fished both the Barclay 7'2" 3wt and the Kenney 7'3" 3wt? If so, I'd be very interested in your thoughts and observations of these 2 rods.

Post 09 Mar 2014, 22:10 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Robert - Thanks! I enjoyed hanging out as well and will definitely make your house a required stop while back in the Mother Land when we're there.
bmadd - take your time, I'm not going anywhere! ;)
LeoCreek - Thanks! I've cast and fished my 723 next to many different 3wts including the F2 653, the Kenney 733 as well as a Steffen 7'3" 2/3wt. Those are amazing rods and I'm honored to have my rod compare favorably with them. I came away preferring mine for many reasons - but I am biased so I would prefer someone else to chime in here if possible. (Feel free to call or write me to talk more about the differences if you'd like.)
Coincidentally I am currently building a Kenney 7'2" 3wt blank (a blem blank bought from Larry a while back) and am very excited and curious to cast them side by side. I might even do a video comparison if I dare!

Post 10 Mar 2014, 12:57 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Chris, when are your 4wt and 5wt models going to be ready?

Post 24 Mar 2014, 21:26 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
A lot of people have been asking me when I'll have the 4 & 5wts. Well, the time has come. The blanks arrived while I was away fishing over the weekend. I got home last night and inspected them immediately - they look perfect so I'll get the pre-orders going this week! More to come soon ...

Post 26 Mar 2014, 08:24 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
Congrats Chris!

Post 23 Apr 2014, 06:46 • #68 
Guide
I received my new Barclay 7'10" 5 wt. on Monday. What a quiet beauty. None of that Lohan crap. Just nice work. Another friend got his on the same day and came over to cast the rods. There was a pretty brisk spring wind blowing and the rod handled it fine. I plan of testing it with several lines to see what makes it sing the best but have no doubts it will be a favorite.

Thanks Chris!

Post 23 Apr 2014, 18:27 • #69 
Sport
I received my new Barclay 4ft and 5wt this week, as well. The attention to detail and overall craftsmanship is what you would expect from Chris. I haven’t had the opportunity to get them out on the water however the initial lawn casting tells me that they will be added to the "never sell list". There is definitely continuity in the rod series, if you have cast and appreciate the characteristics of the Barclay 3wt, you will like the 4wt and 5wt.

Post 24 Apr 2014, 01:21 • #70 
Glass Fanatic
I am really excited about getting my hands on the 5wt. Glad to hear all the positive reviews, Chris' work is very impressive.

Post 04 May 2014, 14:52 • #71 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" I've done it! I have received all three rods from Chris Barclay. The 3wt., 4wt., & the 5wt. Outstanding workmanship. The consistency from one through the others in detail, color and professionalism is top shelf. Can't wait to get them all on the water. With this set of rods there appears to be no need to own any other lengths or line weights. This set will cover most of all of your trout fishing needs with fiberglass. Though I am guilty of owning a few other rods. :) For those of you looking to capitalize on efficiency and keeping the rod count to a minimum this trio will get that done for you. If you are considering a new rod or two look to these buggers. They are awesome. My two cents. Thanx Chris!
Mark

*Note that I have no financial interest in Chris Barclay.*

Post 05 May 2014, 07:32 • #72 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies, it's great that you like Chris' rods so much, but can you be specific about why? How do they perform? What would you compare them to? How fast or slow are they? Etc. Thanks

Post 05 May 2014, 09:50 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
I can say without reservation that the workmanship is right there with the big guys ie; Wojnicki, Claudio, Cummings, Kenny, Carpenter etc. etc. Maybe not Peak but I have a soft spot for his work. :) Anyway, I cannot speak to performance on the water but from my experience and casting them on the lawn they appear to be able to handle any trout fishing situation I can think of. That comes from more that fifty years on the water. They all have what I would call a progressively crisp feel. Not as crisp as Cummings and not as full flexing as Wojnicki. Somewhat similar to the Scott F2 series. The 3wt. so far is my favorite but that said I spend 90% of my time on small creeks. My two cents in my humble opinion. I will report later in the year as to performance on the water. But for now we here in Big Sky Country are in the middle of one of the worst run-off seasons I have ever seen. As a side note. Those of you coming to Montana this year to fish would do well to wait until at least the middle of July. Maybe then one will be able to fish comfortably.

Moderator note: Please do not fully quote the preceding post.

Post 05 May 2014, 17:53 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
No offense intended, but I also wonder how one can recommend a rod from just lawn casting? Yes, lawn casting does give one an idea if the rod suits the caster, but that's all.

Often the rod gets sold within a few months to a year. I will only recommend a rod which I own for several years (some rods I own 20+ years) and fished regularly.

P.S. I think Chris' rods look excellent!

Post 06 May 2014, 08:58 • #75 
Glass Fanatic
Lugan & ibookje,

I am simply commenting on the excellence in workmanship offered by Barclay. I am only comparing that to the stunning work by Peak, Cummings, Claudio, Kenny, Wojnicki, Carpenter and the like. I own rods from all of those makers and can easily put them side by side to compare the details and commitment to maintaining the history, heritage and culture that reflects the important aspects of this game of Fly Fishing. I believe Barclay does that. That's all.

In regards to my comments on the fishing aspects and casting qualities of Barclay's work that remains in my humble opinion only. But again, I'm comparing his work to that of those mentioned above I feel strongly in what I have offered as to the fishability of Barclay's rods. When I cast one of Barclay's rods next to a Cummings or a Wojnicki of the same length and line weight I can feel pretty secure in how I can expect it to fish once the rod is on the water. Again, this is only my two cents and humble opinion. Others such as yourselves will disagree and are welcome to do so. Intelligent people can agree to disagree.

Mark

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply