It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:18

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:00 • #1 
Administrator
A couple years ago I messed around with a few prototype glass rods from Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters and out of those fly rods came the Red Truck Glass fly rod offering, which has been out for a few months now, and now the Sierra Nevada six piece 7'6" four weight has been released.

http://www.lelandfly.com/Leland-Fly-Rod. .. y-Rod.html

Six pieces with a lot of cosmetic flair which is priced at $500.

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:16 • #2 
Master Guide
Grip looks way overdone. Maybe a little light on the amount of snakes(7) and boy what to do with all those ferrule plugs.

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I agree about the grip, but wow! that has to be the nicest rod tube I have seen

Bob

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:32 • #4 
Administrator
rsagebrush ... I'm counting stripper, tip top, and seven guides. In the hands of some/many those ferrule plugs are as good as lost. HA ...

Oh yeah ... and there is a philosophy behind that overdone grip. I've been trying to get George Revel, formally of Leland Outfitters, to explain it. I've cast a couple of their fly rods with this grip and it's very comfortable.

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:51 • #5 
Administrator
Interesting grip style - I bet it is comfortable the way a full Wells is comfortable. The cork inset reelseat (gotta see the website photos) gives the reel foot something pliable to hold against with a sliding ring uplock seat. Overall a stylish build. A functional build too.

The red finish on the ferrule plugs is a good idea - the plugs can't hide so easily. The website photos don't show if the rod bag has a pocket for the ferrule plugs. Hopefully there is one.

Tom

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:58 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I like the grip. Yes is looks like it belongs on on a fly rod from Middle Earth, but it looks like it would be comfortable.

Post 07 Oct 2013, 21:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
NIce looking rod. However not to keen on the aesthetics of the grip, but if it s works and is comfortable I guess thats what matters most.

Who is making the blanks for leland?

Post 07 Oct 2013, 21:20 • #8 
Administrator
Glass Enthusiast wrote:
Who is making the blanks for leland?

I believe rolled and built in Asia.

Post 07 Oct 2013, 23:25 • #9 
Master Guide
I love the "Designed in San Francisco" on the end cap of the rod tube HaHa!

Built in Aisa in somehow missing.To me kinda misleading but that's just me.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 08:13 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'll keep an open mind but will make one obvious value statement: $500 is a lot of money for an Asian-made glass rod.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 10:37 • #11 
Sport
It looks really nice, but 500 bucks is a bit pricey, especially if they are made in Asia. The Orvis glass seems to be a better deal.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 13:31 • #12 
Guide
Yes, the handle does have a weapon like appearance and the price is a reach but the overall design appears practical and useful.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 14:40 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron, I can't quite tell from the photo. Spigot ferrule, yes? Leland has a nice eye for detail in their traditional gear, also evident in their click pawl reels. Pack rods don't interest me personally, but that product looks pretty meticulous, both in design and manufacture. I guess there are some pretty cheap Asian blanks, but a company-specific design effort with a manufacturer over there could be different both in quality and cost.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 14:55 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
The configuration reminds me of a Lami Brush Creek 'Companion' I had years ago. I gotta say, having a rod that practically fits in your glove compartment can be nice. A lot of thought went into the presentation of this one. I personally don't mind the grip, and love the color scheme. But unless I hear some phenomenal reviews, I'm not buying at $500.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 16:09 • #15 
Guide
unique looking rod.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 17:50 • #16 
Guide
I like the idea of a 6 piece rod, but not a 7.5 ft 4 wt.

Money firmly in pocket.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 18:09 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Jim Reams, the bamboo rodbuilder from the pacific NW, builds a grip very similar in shape to this one -- it's his signature grip. I owned and fished one of his rods for a couple years and didn't much care for the feel of it. In my experience most unusual grip shapes/sizes are uncommon for a reason. Looks like a fair amount of thought went into this package, it'll be interesting if anyone buys one and posts a review. I have one pack rod that I almost never use -- I take it with me on trips and carry it as a backup in remote areas but then don't need it. It's a Lami Brush Creek Companion, a very nice 4/5wt that cost me all of $125.

Post 08 Oct 2013, 21:11 • #18 
Sport
That's a beautiful rod! Just because it is from Asia doesn't mean it is a bad rod ... I'll wait to pass judgment. Leland puts out some really cool stuff, from their Red Truck reels to their newer vintage reels. The thing I never liked about their reels though was that, for a very similar price, I can get a US made Abel that my son can pry from my cold, dead hands I can hand down to my son.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 08:12 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
No one said it was a bad rod just because it's from Asia. We only said that $500 seems expensive for an Asian-made rod. Normally manufacturers use Asian labor to produce rods at a lower price point, which was not the outcome in this case. So it had better be a truly exceptional rod to command that price. I too remain open minded and look forward to my next trip to SF to test cast it at their shop.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 12:50 • #20 
Administrator
Fellows ... I agree this fly rod has an elevated price point and believe that there are a couple things going on here. First, this has been a four plus year project of R&D, samples, and prototypes which all cost money. Second, I also think this is a low numbers type offering. They aren't sitting on hundreds of these fly rods so there are less fly rods to spread the costs of development over.

This fly rod may be most interesting for those who travel a lot and looking for a premium pack rod.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 12:55 • #21 
Administrator
Also, I should be getting a sample soon for a review and likely will be able to add it to the TFM Fly Rod Loan Program as well for those interested in trying before buying.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 20:17 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron wrote:
I believe rolled and built in Asia.

wow, for $500!?!?

Post 09 Oct 2013, 21:46 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I think in this case to know the builder of the blanks used would go a long way in justifying the rod price. It would be interesting if Kab made the blanks then would people think $500 is within range? The rod has extra "bling" for sure. I am not into the extras so Steffens is my cup of tea but if you consider even mark charges $400 for a finished 4 piece rod then $500 for a rod with even more pieces may not be off the mark plus bells and whistles. Again knowing the builder would help ease the whole made in Asia stigma.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 22:12 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I guess I am not sure what the whole "made in Asia" stigma is. If you could walk into a store and look at the rod and test cast it, would you still feel the same way?

I know there are a lot of production facilities in Asia and things are outsource to the Far East and the first iteration might not be the best, but it used to be that "made in Japan" had a bad stigma to it. Nikon and Cannon started by copying other cameras. If the taper is good, the production is good and consistent, why should I care? (there are a few reasons, but I don't think they are the ones that most people are reacting to).

Wait, let me put my flame retardant suit on.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 23:03 • #25 
Master Guide
The rod is made in Korea. A $500, Korean made, 6 piece 7'6" glass rod seems like a non-starter (to me).. ..though I could be wrong. The folks at Leland are, if anything, great marketers. No doubt they did enough research to determine that there was enough market demand to justify the money spent on having the rods made (for them).

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply