It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:03

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2013, 16:01 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Finally after a long long time, I finally have them! Signature S-glass, both are four piece models so they are travel ready.

8'6" 7wt and 8'6" 8wt. Progressive action, smooth tip and low end power. Uni directional S-glass. I will see if I can get some photos, (blanks are translucent brown). And I hope to get one finished soon!

Shane

Post 21 Sep 2013, 20:26 • #2 
Master Guide
I don't see myself coming up with the scratch in the near future, as I'm about to move, but those sound like some really sweet rods. I hope they'll be around for a while, so I can get one down the line.

Post 21 Sep 2013, 21:03 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you, yes I think these will be around for a while. I will take the pleasure of breaking in the first final build next week.

Post 22 Sep 2013, 14:10 • #4 
Master Guide
I just saw the build on facebook. If it fishes half as good as it looks I would be happy,and its not even done.

Post 07 Oct 2013, 19:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Spent some time this past week or so breaking in that 8'6" 8wt Signature S-glass. Nothing like seeing your inscription bend in front of your face.

The rod handles perfectly. The right amount of flex, feel and power. I had several complements on the river - Most "Wow, I like that rod" ( because of the bend I assume!) and "I wish my rod would work like that".

Post 07 Oct 2013, 19:58 • #6 
Master Guide
Wow. I'd say you gave it a nice workout. :)

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:11 • #7 
Administrator
GRAYWOLF AND THE ZOMBIES.

Glass Is Not Dead ... but that salmon is. HA ...

Post 07 Oct 2013, 20:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Yup, and the fillets are now in the freezer! I am now stocked till next season.

Post 09 Oct 2013, 20:18 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
that zombie will smoke ...

I love that build, Shane. Are your blanks S-glass? what kind of action? (remember, I'm a Steffen homer). Nevermind, I actually read the entire first post ... right there in front of my eyes.

Post 12 Oct 2013, 01:40 • #10 
Master Guide
Will these rods catch "real" (Pacific) salmon too? ;)

Post 12 Oct 2013, 08:16 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Arctic Grayling, Ha well yeah I'm pretty sure these rods will catch real fish.

Post 12 Oct 2013, 16:14 • #12 
Administrator
"Real salmon". HA ... That's pretty funny.

(Full Disclosure - I didn't catch a redfish yesterday but my friend did.)

Shane sent this fly rod down this week and I took it to Beaufort for a flood tide session yesterday afternoon. I'm not much for the extended fighting butt (I realize why Shane likes it for salmon fishing) but I REALLY like how this fly rod casts. Like the other Signature S-Glass fly rods I've cast and own, the eight weight is a solid mix of power and feel. I'll very likely buy one of these next year as it's a damn good eight weight.

Post 13 Oct 2013, 09:26 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Arctic Grayling wrote:
Will these rods catch "real" (Pacific) salmon too? ;)

Like :).

Andrew.

Post 20 Dec 2013, 00:16 • #14 
Master Guide
Nice! I've been divesting myself of some rods - running out of room, but those beauties give me an itch ...

Post 01 Jan 2014, 04:57 • #15 
Master Guide
Shane wrote:
Yup, and the fillets are now in the freezer! I am now stocked till next season.

Sorry Shane, but I'd rather have the shiny, fresh coho fillets that I have in my freezer caught from salt water wild fish in the local bay!

But those were boat caught fish. Coho would be fun from shore on your new rod line! I can see the eight weight here.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 14:30 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like the type of (Pacific) salmon fishing I'm used to doing around Vancouver Island. (I typically prefer a slower, full flexing 9 wt. glass rod, especially for acrobatic Coho.) :)

Andrew.

Last edited by Admin on 02 Mar 2014, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Removed full quote of preceding post

Post 01 Jan 2014, 15:08 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Arctic Grayling wrote:
Sorry Shane, but I'd rather have the shiny, fresh coho fillets that I have in my freezer caught from salt water wild fish in the local bay!

I am with you. I have a friend in WA that sends me a few boxes of "Your" salmon fillets every year around Christmas and it has ruined me on these spawn run salmon.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 18:35 • #18 
Master Guide
If they are "freshly" frozen after being stored on ice, OK. Otherwise, fresh is the Best. I took that for granted, growing up on Long Island (NY), and living most of my life in coastal New England. When it hit home was when I was in Texas and had "fresh" beef for the first time. At a restaurant in San Antonio, they serve their cuts (type of steak) during certain hours. The inner most cuts, later in the evening as they serve these only as the chef/butcher gets to them. And even a burger at Fuddrucker's taste more like prime rib than a hamburger. My taste buds were put on notice.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 23:36 • #19 
Master Guide
Cameron wrote:
I'm not much for the extended fighting butt (I realize why Shane likes it for salmon fishing) but I REALLY like how this fly rod casts. Like the other Signature S-Glass fly rods I've cast and own, the eight weight is a solid mix of power and feel. I'll very likely buy one of these next year as it's a damn good eight weight.

Seems like a serious contender for sure ...

Post 02 Mar 2014, 05:56 • #20 
Master Guide
cyangler wrote:
If they are "freshly" frozen after being stored on ice, OK. Otherwise, fresh is the Best.

What I do is take the salmon from the boat in the harbor, drive maybe a mile home, vacuum pack them, and freeze them. When I thaw out those fillets and bake them I am always amazed at how good they taste. Maybe I am just a fantastic cook and I make them taste good, but I don't think so. I've lived in Alaska since 1971 and have been eating Alaskan salmon most of that time so I've eaten a lot of fresh salmon. Fresh salmon might taste a little bit better, and in a long, dark cold winter perhaps I get a little delirious, but the frozen salmon taste pretty darn good come December and January. And here it is March and they still taste pretty darn good! Only three more months until spring!

Post 02 Mar 2014, 13:32 • #21 
Master Guide
Now you have me hungry.I'm going home to pull some salmon out of the freezer.

New Topic Add Reply