It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:46

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 New Topic Add Reply
Re: ECHO Glass Series
Post 23 Jul 2016, 12:23 • #201 
Glass Fanatic
Drift, I think both rods are nice rods, I think you just have to cast them for yourself to decide. The 9 footer is a little heavier, which I like since I've been fishing mainly bamboo. And yes, it is a little slower than the 8.5. I fish both with the same TT6. If I was fishing mainly trout I'd go with the 8,5. I'm using both for smallmouths, fishing mainly streamers/crayfish/split shot/ and the occasional poppers.

Post 24 Jul 2016, 21:41 • #202 
Glass Fanatic
I love the look of those 'bad ass glass' rods...it will remain to be seen if 9' on those will be too much.

Post 25 Jul 2016, 12:04 • #203 
Glass Fanatic
Gearboy, thanks for the info. Just got to find a shop around here that carries them.

Post 25 Jul 2016, 21:30 • #204 
Master Guide
Hate to say it, but I'm impressed .

Post 28 Jul 2016, 17:47 • #205 
Sport
Very impressed and wanting to check these B.A.G. out.

Post 31 Jul 2016, 21:40 • #206 
Administrator
I haven't cast these yet and excited too. Hopefully soon.

When Tim Rajeff and I started talking about ECHO doing glass several years ago, my suggestion was to do things other companies at his price points weren't doing. I was thinking heavy weight glass and two handers. Tim agreed but figured that it would be tough for him to get the reps and shops on board if he didn't first do trout weight fly rods first. Then he did the two handers and now, finally, the BAD ASS GLASS series is coming together. It's been really cool to see this process and these fly rods will be coming soon.

Post 01 Aug 2016, 00:40 • #207 
Glass Fanatic
The TH one I have is absolute money (7wt switch)...freakin' love that rod. I can't wait to get my hands on those B.A.G. rods...

Post 14 Dec 2016, 20:45 • #208 
Master Guide
Hey everyone. I know this a aged thread but I felt compelled to talk about the 6wt 9ft echo glass rod. I had a chance to test cast it and walked away very impressed. I put on a heavier farlows perfect reel and it made the rod come alive. Being it had a down locking reel seat helps tremendously on the swing weight for a long rod. They should do the same with BAG models as well. I was not crazy about the hardware but layout is spot on this big water series. For the value, it's one of the best 6wts I've casted in 9ft length in a glass rod. Light and responsive. Almost feels like it's in between and very good Winston graphite rod and a good glass rod. I think I may pick one up for the shad run in Florida in late December.

Post 15 Dec 2016, 08:17 • #209 
Glass Fanatic
The BAG series just arrived at the Bears Den shop and I got to check them out Saturday. Very nicely executed.

Post 15 Dec 2016, 08:52 • #210 
Master Guide
Over the last couple of years I have acquired several Echo rods, I am always impressed with what you get for the money invested. A very creative and innovative company that continues to come up with some really unique rods at great price points.

High priced rod manufacture's take note.

Post 02 Jan 2017, 15:43 • #211 
Have the BAG 9wt.
Local flyshops stock rio flylines.
Difficult to find someone close with airflow lines. anyone have a suggestion for a Rio line?
(Local shops are not open or have limited hours this time of year.)

Post 09 Aug 2017, 09:54 • #212 
Master Guide
I'm a happy owner of ECHO Glass Big River 8'6" #4 since a couple of months. I bought such rod because I often fish large streams, sometimes need deep wading (which I don't like at all) . My Diamondglass 8'6" #4 still needs repair of damaged coating on stripping guide, so I'm reluctant to use it.

At the beginning the ECHO was a little more stiff than expected, now after some fishing days in different conditions I'm much more comfortable with it's action. I still prefer a more "delicate" rod but Big River Glass exactly does what it was designed for. Hooked same nice trouts and I can say it works. The 4 pieces configuration is nice when traveling.

Today's pictures. I fished tiny soft hackles #18 / #20 and Iris Caddis #14.

Regards from Italy,
Antonio

Post 09 Aug 2017, 10:13 • #213 
Glass Fanatic
Nice rod, trout, and flies! Thank you for showing.

Post 09 Aug 2017, 18:45 • #214 
Agreed... very nice! ECHO makes some nice equipment at a price that's hard to beat. I have the 7'6" 4wt and love it. I paired it with a Redington Zero reel now and find it to be a better fit than with the older Orvis Battenkill model I was using previously.

Post 10 Aug 2017, 08:11 • #215 
Master Guide
Redington Zero is a very nice reel, sturdy but lightweight. Design is so clean that can be well paired with both the classic and the modern rods, in my opinion.

Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 New Topic Add Reply