It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:07

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Mountain Brook Rods
Post 25 Jun 2013, 21:50 • #1 
Master Guide
I have a little hobby shop, where I came up with some tapers and a friend of mine has rolled the blanks.
My goal is to offer an affordable blank that has great quality attributes for rod builders and fishermen alike. They have been well received across the country and I personally fish the heck out of em here in Pennsylvania. These are budget minded blanks and in the right hands can be turned into a gorgeous rod. I have a small inventory but if interested just mention you saw it on this site and will offer a discount to ffr members to give it a try and some reviews. I am a fishermen first, so these blanks have been fish tested. I put a pic on to show the bend on a nice brown..love fishin glass. go to products page and go to the fiberglass link. The website is being constructed and improved, need more pics of rods, but all blanks are on there.

Post 26 Jun 2013, 01:51 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice to see you here. I have the Ogden Dry and the Classic S handle both and find them to be excellent bargains. You might consider taking a photo of the Classic S innards. Never seen a drag system like that. Good luck and welcome to this fabulous forum.
Paul

Post 26 Jun 2013, 10:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to make this a new topic for better exposure. Likely Tom will move it anyway. Good luck!

[I split this into a new topic. Tom]

Re: Mountain Brook Rods
Post 26 Jun 2013, 12:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hi mtnbrook. Pm sent

Post 26 Jun 2013, 21:46 • #5 
Master Guide
Paul, Thanks! glad you liked the reels. They compliment glass and bamboo nicely. I use them too :)

Picketpin ... nice call name btw, love that fly ... pm sent

Post 27 Jun 2013, 08:37 • #6 
Master Guide
Hi mtnbrook, I'm a little confused about the design and manufacture of the blanks. In this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43461
you claim that they are sourced from overseas.

Now you are saying you "came up with" some tapers and a friend is rolling them. A blanks provenance can be important to a fly fisher (it is to me) so a little clearification would be appreciated. By saying you"came up with some tapers" are you suggesting that you were involved in the selection of the prepreg weave style, designed the mandrel taper, determined the proper pattern to be cut etc etc. Or did the fabricator mail prototype blanks back and forth and you refined the blanks action by requesting changes in the flag pattern?

Thanks for the clearification.

Post 27 Jun 2013, 09:25 • #7 
Master Guide
A F ... new to the forum here, sounds like I ruffled some feathers with ya. Heres the deal, this is a HOBBY, I am just a fly fisherman/guide and builder, not trying to bull#$@! anyone. I am a high school teacher as my real profession. The origin of the blanks is this ... I have a friend and great rod builder as well, who lives in the far east. We worked back and forth , and I have for years tried to come up with blanks that lived up to my liking. So yes, I worked with him for tapers that I LIKE. I have also worked for Orvis for years, and have a little bit of experience in the fly fishing industry. The bamboo blanks , some are made by a fellow woodshop teacher and myself. I don't have the financial means to build a glass rod building and manufacturing shop! These are great glass blanks, and like I said in the post, budget minded blanks, as you can tell by the price I am offering! They still make a beautiful rods!
They are NOT kabutos ,or Morgans, thus the price. I also know for a fact that some glass blank stores and retailers will tell you they make their own blanks right here in U.S., but if you question them or ask to see their rolling equipment the subject quickly changes ...
So I am being honest with everyone..
thanks for the interest , and good fishing to ya ... any further questions Baker, shoot me a pm
good fishing to all
cheers
mtnbrook

Post 27 Jun 2013, 09:51 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 7'3 4wt tip over butt and really like it.

Bob

Post 27 Jun 2013, 10:41 • #9 
Master Guide
mtnbrook wrote:
I have a little hobby shop, where I came up with some tapers and a friend of mine has rolled the blanks.

Hi mtnbrook, no ruffled feathers here. Your choice of words would lead me to believe that you were/are actively involved in the taper design and that your friend rolls the blanks for you ... Your previous post in the other thread reads differently, Just trying to clear up the ambiguity.

So these blanks are unique and can be found nowhere else?

mtnbrook wrote:
I also know for a fact that some glass blank stores and retailers will tell you they make their own blanks right here in U.S., but if you question them or ask to see their rolling equipment the subject quickly changes ...

Agreed. Somewhere on this forum there should be a sticky on who rolls there own blanks, who designs their own mandrels/blanks and has them custom rolled by a fabricator, and who is simply reselling blanks designed and made by someone else. There is a lot of confusion on the Internet regarding the origins of today's fiberglass blanks and it would be nice to see some of it cleared up. :hat

Baker

Post 27 Jun 2013, 11:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to getting my blanks. I plan to build one for my son and one for me.

Post 27 Jun 2013, 13:54 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
BobHa wrote:
I have the 7'3 4wt tip over butt and really like it.

Bob

Bob -- Can you describe the action? Honest 4wt? Closer to a 3wt or a 5wt? Fast for glass like a Steffen? Slow for glass like Lamiglass honey? Can you compare it to another glass rod that's well known? Thanks!

Post 22 Jul 2013, 13:43 • #12 
Hi mtnbrook I've sent a pm, cheers

Post 03 Sep 2013, 18:39 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Nice photo & nice looking rods.

Post 04 Sep 2013, 14:49 • #14 
Guide
I bought both the 7'3" and the 7'6" blanks and find that both are nice. I only had them out on the yard so far but they will see some time here in the fall.

Big D

New Topic Add Reply