It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:29

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Dennis Stone Glass
Post 13 Jun 2013, 14:14 • #1 
Piscator
Dennis is of course is a protege of Dwight Lyons - though his work certainly stands on its own.
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie. .. 97&t=67005

Re: Dennis Stone Glass
Post 13 Jun 2013, 15:20 • #2 
Administrator
Bulldog ... excellent for sharing that. I traded emails with Dennis last week about this. The builds look great.

Post 13 Jun 2013, 15:48 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
His first glass rod is available on the big auction site

Post 13 Jun 2013, 18:52 • #4 
Master Guide
The one I saw for sale is built on a Kettle Creek blank from Phil B.

Dennis is a very nice guy. I've purchased one of his tapers (blank) from him. I'll probably do it again too.

Post 13 Jun 2013, 20:02 • #5 
Hello one and all, I am a new member to the fiberglass forum. The rod I have posted to my eBay store and the one on classicfly rod forum are one and the same. I will be offering fiberglass rods on riffle xxl 100%glass blanks from kettlecreek tackle shop (the catalog has the lengths and weights available). I find their fit and finish to be excellent as well as having well thought out tapers that are a pleasure to cast. It may be a while till I add them to my website but contact info will be the same. My initial offerings will be at $375.00 for 3pc and $325.00 for 2pc.
Dennis stone

Post 13 Jun 2013, 21:10 • #6 
Piscator
Hey Dennis,
Thanks for joining. I love your work.
Regards,
Ron

Post 14 Jun 2013, 00:46 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Good to see you on the glass board Dennis! I have built one one of Dennis' bamboo blanks as well and was very impressed.

Dusty

Post 14 Jun 2013, 09:46 • #8 
Piscator
His fine tips are in a class by themselves.

Dennis, your glass rod is beautiful - classic good looks - al dente.
You didn't even have to reinvent anything (inside joke about marketing glass)

Post 14 Jun 2013, 18:02 • #9 
Master Guide
Dennis-
Welcome to the glass board! I too have appreciated your work with bamboo & look forward to seeing more of your fiberglass line up!

Post 17 Jun 2013, 10:26 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That's a purdy one their Derald.

Post 19 Jun 2013, 10:09 • #11 
Master Guide
Very nice work Mr. Dennis! :D

Post 26 Jun 2013, 12:58 • #12 
due to the lack of intertest in my first offering at a price point 50.00 to 100.00 lower than others in the field i have decided to not go forward with adding fiberglass to my lineup of bamboo rods.I was hoping it would be profitable adventure.Unfortunatly there seems to be no interest. i want to thanks those of you that commented here and tried to help make it a success. Dennis

Post 26 Jun 2013, 20:12 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Dennis - Perhaps you should give it a bit more time for people to become familiar with the rods. Personally, I have no idea what the kettle creek blanks are like and I'm reluctant to buy a rod without a lot of good feedback. You've earned your reputation in bamboo over a long period of time and with the word of mouth of many satisfied customers. It may take awhile to get established in glass as well. Be well!

Post 28 Jun 2013, 14:24 • #14 
Glass Fanatic

Thirteen days? Not sure what one can conclude from a sub-fortnight period except maybe that fiberglass fly rods aren't Taylor Swift tickets.

Post 29 Jun 2013, 10:55 • #15 
Master Guide
This is good news! I have three rods I built up on bamboo blanks made by Dennis and I am totally pleased with them. Dennis is a fine gentleman and builds a fine rod and is very open and great to chat with over the phone. He's well known on the Classic Rod Forum for the quality of his bamboo work and I know his glass rods will be of the same high standards. He's one rodmaker you can trust.

Post 30 Jun 2013, 22:11 • #16 
It seems i need to find an american blank maker in order to crack this egg.I thought i had found a good set of tapers with construction that seemed to me to be fine.Being new to glass i didnt know there was such a bias.I will take my time and find a more suitable blank to work with. I wonder if taylor swift started out this way :)

Post 01 Jul 2013, 04:38 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, I don't think the "made in asia" thing is the kiss of death that some make it out to be. Sure, it would be great to find an american made source at a price where you could make it worth your while. And maybe you can. But the problem is I think that there have been some very low priced blanks on the market from asia that have left a negative impression. The chinese are fully capable of producing excellent quality products but as a small scale builder it would be difficult to find a supplier at all and to find one willing to work with you designing or choosing tapers on such a small scale. And tapers are just as important in glass as they are in bamboo -- cosmetics are important, but the taper makes the rod. Cabela's first series of glass rods is very well regarded and those blanks were asian and probably dirt cheap. Their new series has been widely panned on this forum because even though they're very attractive rods at an attractive price, their tapers are poor.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 08:19 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
tapermaker wrote:
It seems i need to find an american blank maker in order to crack this egg.I thought i had found a good set of tapers with construction that seemed to me to be fine.Being new to glass i didnt know there was such a bias.I will take my time and find a more suitable blank to work with. I wonder if taylor swift started out this way :)

Last edited by tabornatives on 02 Jul 2013, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 09:54 • #19 
Master Guide
I do believe the Riffle blanks are a great by in fiberglass and make great rods. If you haven't built or tried them you should. A rod built by Dennis on this blank is well worth what he was asking. As I had told Dennis I would have order one if I had the money now. But if he will, I would still like to get one!

Post 01 Jul 2013, 11:06 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
tiptop wrote:
Personally, I don't think the "made in asia" thing is the kiss of death that some make it out to be ... The chinese are fully capable of producing excellent quality products.

I think you're right, there are many fine products being manufactured in Asia and it's beyond question that the Chinese are quite capable of making excellent products. Americans decided decades ago that businesses based here should provide basic rights to their employees, safe working conditions, a living wage etc. The money you save when you do business with some Asian manufacturers is saved because those companies don't treat their employees with the same respect most American manufacturers do. As we've seen so many jobs disappear here and seen the havoc those lost jobs have played with our economy many Americans are rethinking the long term outcome of saving a few dollars in the short term.
There is a bias here but the reasons for the bias are both ethical and practical. If I were trying to woo buyers from a thoughtful community such as we have on this board, I would give careful thought to the issues involved and how I would want my business standards perceived.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 11:52 • #21 
Master Guide
Dennis First I admit to not knowing your background but I know no bamboo builders. However your work posted looks awesome and your price point was affordable. Being a fee for service Dentist for 33 years source of products matter in my world as I have resisted the lure of lower lab fees from China. Please understand I am not degrading/or looking down my nose at their efforts or my fellow professional who uses their labs. BUT I proudly point out to my patients the stickers saying USA made but most importantly the product analysis of metal composition. Yes I have losted business by working harder everyday to stay high quality in today economy. My point is simply be patient your craftsmanship speaks volumes.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 12:40 • #22 
some here are saying the riffle blanks i used were from China.I was under the impression they were made in south korea.They`re standard of living for workers and working conditions i would think are more closer to japan than china.I am a progressive with a father who spent all my formative years as a teamster in the union.I look at the way things are run today in the USA and remember how it was to be a proud blue collar worker,making a decent living ,taking care of a family on one persons wages.Everything has changed over the last 40yrs ... today i build bamboo rods in the USA.The cane comes from China,the silk from Asia, and the cork from Portugal.I want to build my business so i can take care of myself so my family or gov. doesnt have to.I will look for and find a way to offer something in glass that i am proud to sell with my name on it.It may be beyond my means to build my own blanks on my own mandrels. Hopefully as i learn more, i will find something that will peak peoples interest.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 13:13 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Dennis, I think you're correct concerning S Korea's standards for working conditions. I know it's a tough row to hoe sometimes, trying maintain ethical standards and feed your family too. I agree with JAStrout that quality will eventually win out. Your work has quite a few endorsements here and I believe that many are starting to realize that in order for the US workers to compete and for the middle class to recover our standard of living we're going to have to insist on a level playing field. The best ways to do that are through our pocketbooks and at the polls. I'm looking forward to reading what you decide.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 13:46 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Such is life in our global economy, in this Information Age, where everything-- even the seemingly "old-timey" vocation of building and selling fishing rods is subject to hyper-scrutiny by well-informed consumers who expect -- and rightfully so, integrity, quality, and customer service. Good luck to you Dennis, you seem to already have an established name among bamboo so you have that going for you.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 14:52 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry for the confusion but are you planning on building in small batches or a larger scale? Your work based on the photos looks very nice so not sure it would be difficult to build on blanks that members here already value like Steffens, McFarland, etc ... Forum members like Leiderman seem to be doing well and people are willing to pay the premium of the workmanship on those blanks. Now whether or not the investment of time, energy and cost is profitable is a different question.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply