It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:01

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Dennis Stone Glass
Post 01 Jul 2013, 15:40 • #26 
Guide
I've been dealing with Dennis for my bamboo blanks for quite a while and a lot of what you're getting is craftsmanship (of course), but also service after the sale, honesty, and integrity. Just like the newby in bamboo starts with a lot of blue collar rods to learn about bamboo and then when they're ready steps up to the level of buying a modern-made rod or classic of better quality, those that are ready should consider Dennis the next step after you've been buying and selling old glass for while and now you're ready to order off the custom menu. You won't be disappointed!

Post 01 Jul 2013, 16:02 • #27 
Administrator
Gentlemen, we are being harsh here. Dennis is using Riffle Blanks, from Phil Barducci of the Kettle Creek Fly Shop in Pennsylvania (click here for his catalog). These are not $19 blanks off eBay . Phil B has sold Riffle blanks (and other rod building supplies) for years. Phil quietly developed his tapers and worked out his source of supply before glass made a comeback. Phil knows what he is selling and he doesn't sell junk.

Why then don't we hear more about Riffle blanks? Mainly because Phil doesn't advertise widely and he only established an internet presence in the last couple of years. I have cast a couple of Riffle based rods. I liked them. They aren't stiff, they aren't soft, they are a nice happy medium. For some reason, there aren't many builders working with Riffles, other than Phil himself, Barry Evans, and now Dennis Stone (if I knew as much about rod building as those three, I'd be selling rods too).

Phil doesn't deserve the sourcing hysteria raised in this thread. Neither does Dennis. If you haven't cast/handled/used a Riffle rod, then you have no reason to disparage it. As I recently stated in a Glass Tech thread, I definitely understand why some builders are very secretive about their rod blank supplier.

Whether we like non-US manufactured products or not is a personal decision. In many ways it is also a political decision made away and apart from the merits of the item in question. We do fishing here, not politics. Please, let us stick to a discussion of the merits of Dennis' new venture into building on glass, and not make unfounded statements about the rod blanks.

Tom

Post 01 Jul 2013, 18:04 • #28 
Piscator
Tom, thank you.

Post 01 Jul 2013, 18:12 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Tom, I could not agree more.

I've bought and built Phil Baldaccino's Kettle Creek Riffle Glass blanks and they are exactly as you describe them. Nice casting, good looking blanks. I don't recall which Riffle Glass blank Dennis was using but the blank I am familiar with is a "bamboo matte tan" finish as Phil describes it in his catalog. New this year to Phil's catalog is a line of multi-piece spigot ferruled blanks which I am told are a tad slower than his earlier offerings.

jgestar wrote:
Gentlemen, we are being harsh here. Dennis is using Riffle Blanks, from Phil Barducci of the Kettle Creek Fly Shop in Pennsylvania (click here for his catalog). These are not $19 blanks off eBay . Phil B has sold Riffle blanks (and other rod building supplies) for years. Phil quietly developed his tapers and worked out his source of supply before glass made a comeback. Phil knows what he is selling and he doesn't sell junk.

Why then don't we hear more about Riffle blanks? Mainly because Phil doesn't advertise widely and he only established an internet presence in the last couple of years. I have cast a couple of Riffle based rods. I liked them. They aren't stiff, they aren't soft, they are a nice happy medium. For some reason, there aren't many builders working with Riffles, other than Phil himself, Barry Evans, and now Dennis Stone (if I knew as much about rod building as those three, I'd be selling rods too).

Phil doesn't deserve the sourcing hysteria raised in this thread. Neither does Dennis. If you haven't cast/handled/used a Riffle rod, then you have no reason to disparage it. As I recently stated in a Glass Tech thread, I definitely understand why some builders are very secretive about their rod blank supplier.

Whether we like non-US manufactured products or not is a personal decision. In many ways it is also a political decision made away and apart from the merits of the item in question. We do fishing here, not politics. Please, let us stick to a discussion of the merits of Dennis' new venture into building on glass, and not make unfounded statements about the rod blanks.

Tom

Post 01 Jul 2013, 18:32 • #30 
Master Guide
jgestar wrote:

According to U.S. law imported products must be labeled with a "country of origin" so the end purchaser can decide if he or she wishes to buy a product made in that country. There are exceptions to the law but fishing rods isn't one of them. And yes I've made (2) rods out of Riffle blanks. Nice blanks, nice tapers.

I completely understand (and enjoy) the need for a politic free forum but I don't believe it's asking too much for blank sellers to follow the law.

Baker

Post 01 Jul 2013, 18:52 • #31 
I have put the rod up for auction. super low starting bid. I stated where it came from in the description as well as linking to this thread. It will be interesting to see what develops.Dennis

Post 01 Jul 2013, 23:08 • #32 
Master Guide
First I have to say Dennis did everything right from the start.When this trend first started I went to his site checked it out and sent him an email just to say "Nice to see another talented builder offering glass.I directed him to the fourm and told him to join because it is a great place to showcase your work.The first email i sent Dennis I received a reply with in 20 mins(Which is more than I can say for redington regarding emails sent about there new glass)Dennis told me where the blank was made I wished him well in his new venture. As for me a always hold my judgment on a rod till I cast the thing!I mean really would it be proper to comment on how a car drives if you never test drove it?With all that being said Dennis's work with bamboo looks out of this world so I have no reason to think a craftsman like Mr Stone would let anything sub par come from his shop.Placed my bid on the rod.

Post 02 Jul 2013, 00:23 • #33 
Administrator
a f Baker wrote:
According to U.S. law imported products must be labeled with a "country of origin" so the end purchaser can decide if he or she wishes to buy a product made in that country ...

I completely understand (and enjoy) the need for a politic free forum but I don't believe it's asking too much for blank sellers [emphasis mine - Tom] to follow the law.

Baker
Dennis Stone does not import Tonkin cane or glass rod blanks, nor does he sell them. Dennis substantially alters those materials to create his final product - elegant fly rods. He builds his fly rods (and cane blanks) in Oregon, so by legal definition his products are 'made in the USA'. Let's be very clear, Dennis is under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to tell anyone where his fiberglass rod blanks come from. He is under no obligation to label anything that he did not import for resale. Dennis has been exceptionally forthcoming about his materials and their origins - kudos to him!

I honestly do not know how the Riffle blanks are labeled with respect to country of origin. Nor is it (nor will it be) the subject of this discussion. Again, please let us discuss the merits of Dennis' new venture into building glass. Administrative discretion will be applied to any addition off topic posts in this thread.

Tom

Hmm ... 10 bids already. Nice!

Post 02 Jul 2013, 08:59 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Welcome to Fiberglass Fly Rodders dennis! talk about a baptism by fire, please remember that the few harsh comments made here only represent a few of the Fiberglass Fly Rodders and not the group as a whole.

Don't get discouraged as most fiberglass rod makers know it has become increasingly difficult to obtain top quality fiberglass blanks to work with, that may seem like a strange comment with all the new blanks recently becoming available, I guess it depends on what you as a maker consider top quality irregardless of where it originates.

In viewing your first fiberglass offering I must say that it certainly looks as though your keen eye, experienced hands and choice of appointment's certainly brought out the best in that riffle blank!

The whole business of keeping your blank source close to the belt is as old as rod building. Back in the day Orvis never advertised that it had a working relationships with montague or Phillipson, edwards never advertised it's relationship with thomas, leonard it's relationship with sharpes of aberdeen, winston with fisher and the list goes on and on it's endless.

Dennis sorry for my rant best of luck with your new fiberglass offerings!. I look forward to see more from you and all the other bamboo rod makers who have finally realized that
"glass is where it's at".

Tight lines and point of origin or the feel a stream loops.
Andy M

Post 02 Jul 2013, 11:32 • #35 
Master Guide
[/quote]
I completely understand (and enjoy) the need for a politic free forum but I don't believe it's asking too much for blank sellers to follow the law.
Baker[/quote]

It's been pointed out to me that because this thread is about D. Stone's custom fiberglass fly rods a person who read what I wrote above might assume "blank seller" is Dennis Stone. I want to be %100 clear and state that I am referring to the businesses that import blanks and resell the blanks to the ultimate consumer.

My apologies to Dennis and admin for any confusion that may have resulted from what I wrote.

Baker

Post 02 Jul 2013, 14:42 • #36 
Guide
Dennis,
Want your glass rods to sell? Build on Steffen or McFarland blanks. Cast a Steffen 8' 3/4 or 5/6 or any of Mike's, and you'll understand why. Kabuto would be another option.

Post 06 Jul 2013, 11:21 • #37 
Administrator
We locked this thread for a short time 1) because it veered off topic into the merit and labeling of imports and 2) because Dennis put his rod up for auction on eBay . The auction ended yesterday*. Hopefully after a short cool down, this thread should be back on track. In addition, I chatted with Dennis Stone and he told me he was fine with unlocking the thread - he hadn't been offended by any of the comments. We're all good now.

As a point of order, the idea of What's New on the Market is for rod builders (and other tackle related companies) to present their ideas and new products. The maker gets some free advertising. Potential buyers get to ask questions and give feedback. If all is working well, the information flows in both directions. Constructive criticism is very welcome, even encouraged. However, it is easy for these threads to go off topic. Please keep that in mind before you post.

Thanks,

Tom

* The auction finished with 18 bids at $218. Not bad for an auction that ended during a summer holiday period. No, I didn't win it, but I did bid. I hope the winner will post photos of the rod on the water.

Post 06 Jul 2013, 16:19 • #38 
Guide
I put my feelings on Riffle blanks in the Glass Tech forum because this thread was locked. I've used two Riffle blanks on rods I've had built. They are fine blanks and I'd put them up against several "Gucchi" rods I own. I'd have bid on the Stone rod had I had some loose cash. I thought it was a handsome and well made rod. Having seen Mr. Stone's work I would have bid with full confidence.

Pete Magas
Marquette, Michigan

Post 07 Jul 2013, 19:10 • #39 
Dennis's work is above reproch as are Phil's glass blanks. I have a 6'8 for a 3wt that Phil built and it is as nice a rod for me as you can find. It also cost about 100.00 more than Dennis was asking. Enough said. I got no dog in this hunt.
Regards
Turk

Post 08 Jul 2013, 15:15 • #40 
Guide
I was underbidder on Dennis' eBay rod. I was fully confident that this is an exceptional rod. I do not believe Dennis would put out anything that was not high quality. When the auction went off and I lost, I immediately regretted not bidding more.

-- Dr. Todd

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply