It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:00

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Aug 2013, 16:47 • #76 
Guide
The Gorge Fly shop list them now too. I guess they are readily available.

Post 20 Aug 2013, 20:20 • #77 
Master Guide
They are up on the Redington site now too, ready for order.

Post 22 Aug 2013, 15:44 • #78 
I was told ny my dealer today that the Butter Sticks I ordered were shipped Tuesday.

Come on UPS!

Moridgerunner

Post 22 Aug 2013, 20:08 • #79 
Wow what a fantastic exchange on the "butter".

I'm new to fiberglass and am considering the butter as a starting point. I'm completely graphite. Started out with fast action ST. Croix, went to several Helios ZG and even a H2 and have realized I am in love with the action on the custom rod Kerry Burkheimer built for me. Which leads me here. I understand he rolls the blanks for Tom Morgan's glass rods, nice to know, but not dropping any coin on one of those unless I really really really fall in love with glass.

That said, are there any other first rods a first time glass caster should consider? I'm thinking $300 is the most I'll spend on it.

Thanks,
Cardo

Post 22 Aug 2013, 23:02 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
.. . unless I really really really fall in love with glass.

Welcome, and your question really, really, really deserves its own thread, but I trust you'll find more than one fiberglass rod you'll appreciate. I'd ask what kind of fishing you're doing, but for the price of one brand-new Butter Stick, you could likely come to own three to five vintage Fenwicks, a sublime arsenal that could cover virtually any conceivable angling scenario.

Post 23 Aug 2013, 12:10 • #81 
Master Guide
swellcat wrote:
but for the price of one brand-new Butter Stick, you could likely come to own three to five vintage Fenwicks, a sublime arsenal that could cover virtually any conceivable angling scenario.
SHHHHH! ;)

Post 01 Sep 2013, 20:01 • #82 
I picked my Butter Sticks today and headed to the creek. I got a 8 ft 5 wt but only had a DT 5 from Rio and a Wulff long belly 5 wt. The 8ft did well with th DT 5 wt but did not like the Long Belly.

Also got the 7ft6in 4wt. It did ok with the long belly up to about 30ft. I did not have a 4 wt line with me today.

Went back to my local fly shop and tried the new Rio Perception 5wt line. Both rods did well with the Perception line. I tried a 6 wt Perception line on the 8 ft 5 wt. Did ok but really slowed the rod down. Area Redington rep recommended the Rio light trout line in 5wt but I like the Perception better.

Several good comments from other fly fishers who saw the rod and a couple of them asked to cast the 8 ft. They liked it and one said he would like to get one

Back to the creek tomorow.

Post 18 Sep 2013, 19:32 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
I may as well toss in my. 02 too. A friend of mine works at Cabela's and he bought an 8' 5wt butterstick at a screaming employee discount added to some other discount. He brought it over the other day and we did some lawn casting with it using a WF5F Rio Gold. The color of the rod is pretty far "out there" -- kind of a micro-metalflake light orange with bright halloween orange wraps. The reel seat hardware was matt platinum colored anodized and seemed nice quality. The overall build quality was very good, on this particular rod at any rate. My first thought when casting it was Lami honey but then decided it really wasn't quite that slow. To me it's more of a medium full-flexing action. Slower than I prefer personally, but I know that some here really like that kind of action. It took some effort and practice on my part to slow my stroke down and adjust my timing to avoid tailing loops. I don't know if it's just me but rods with this type of action seem to be less forgiving and have a narrower window of acceptable stroke. Long story short, not a rod for me but unique looking and others may really like it. And the other rods in this series may each have their own unique character -- that's the way it usually is.

Post 18 Sep 2013, 20:37 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
Tiptop, I cast the same model a week ago and came to exactly the same conclusions. One thing I will add is that I thought the rod would cast better with a long taper line like a Rio LT or Wulff TT. It also has a lot of swing weight compared with the snappiest modern glass, and I thought it would balance best with about a 6 ounce reel. All in all, not my cup of tea relative to my favorite Steffens and similar.

Post 28 Sep 2013, 22:25 • #85 
Sport
New to fiberglass, I tried the 7'6" 4wt. Redington butter stick today and liked it very much, even casting a generic 4 weight line provided by the shop. I intend to fish it with a Rio 5 wt double taper. It is fun, light in the hand and handled a bit of wind well. It tracks surprisingly well. I plan to use it for small trout streams, some bluegill ponds and even places where I typically find smaller small mouth bass. With a Holschlag bitty blockhead (very small popper) and a trailing tellico nymph, I am betting that this will do great on some local ponds. In the spring, the spawning bluegills should put a great bend in this rod!

Post 29 Sep 2013, 11:10 • #86 
Guide
That's a good report, thanks.

Post 17 Oct 2013, 13:50 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Here's another. 02 on a different Butter Stick (BS :) ). I cast the 7'6" 4wt today with a Rio Gold WF4 and found that I liked it better than the 8' 5wt I tried a few weeks ago. Contrary to a couple other reviews, I think the rod is labeled properly as a 4wt but that just illustrates the fact that people have different preferences with how they like a rod to load. I found that this line loaded adequately at short distance and progressively better as I reached out further. The sweet spot distance would be about 20-40 ft. Like the 8' BS, it's a medium action rod and somewhat floppy (prone to oscillation and poor damping) but not as much as the 8 footer. As Lugan pointed out and I agree; the 8' BS has substantial swing weight but this 7.6" BS feels very nice, not heavy at all. I'm not a big fan of the Scott F2 7'7" 4wt but I like it better than this one inch shorter BS -- but not $400 better. I prefer a bit faster glass so I won't be buying this 7'6" BS but for the price, I do recommend it. I think it would be a great first glass rod to use for small stream trout or for bluegill.

Post 16 Nov 2013, 22:56 • #88 
Sport
I too was a little put off by the cosmetics of this rod but I lot cast a few at the fly shop today and ended up buying an 8ft 5wt. Had my Steffen 8'3" 5wt and original Diamondglass 8" 4wt in my car (both of which I love) and cast all 3 back to back with Rio Gold lines.

The BS is a good bit slower than either and really shone at the 20-35ft range. It tracks very well and is extremely accurate at short range. Both the Stephen and Diamondglass are better long range casters but at short range I really enjoyed the BS more.

The grip wasn't an issue for me but then again, for short range and straight-line nymphing, I prefer a western trout grip to the reversed half-wells like on my Steffen and the Diamondglass grip has always seemed too small for me.

My Steffen is much better suited for large windy rivers and the Diamondglass is a better all-around rod than the BS but I think I'm really going to love my new addition on mid-size creeks with lots of pocket water.

Post 17 Nov 2013, 06:07 • #89 
Glass Fanatic
That's an informative review. Thanks for the comparative analysis.

Post 18 Nov 2013, 12:27 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
RedMenace, is your 8'3" Steffen 5wt a 4/5 or a 5/6?

Post 18 Nov 2013, 19:24 • #91 
Sport
It's a 5-6. I could use a 6 on it to cast in tighter but I mainly use it on larger rivers, and I like it with the 5.

Took the BS out yesterday for a test drive in the rain. Fished dry and dropper on a mid-size freestone for about 3 hours then went to nearby tailrace and finished the day throwing longer. I really like this rod. Curve casts, aerial mends ... It's not as well finished as my Steffen but at a hundred dollars less I think it's well worth the money.

Balances at the winding check with my Red Truck Marquis knockoff.
Image[/url]

Bends well even with lame little nine-inch hatchery product at other end.
Image[/URL]

Couldn't take pic during this fight (fishing solo). But it was a blast.
Image[/URL]

Post 23 Nov 2013, 14:50 • #92 
I've considered Redington rods on the lower end, but maybe it's time to reconsider. I've seen the Butter Stick at my local fly shop but haven't had the chance to cast it. Looking forward to doing so.

Re: Redington's
Post 25 Nov 2013, 17:36 • #93 
Master Guide
Redington is pretty much good across the board ... Their CT is the best deal on the market by far ... Their Predator is a great rod too ... I know how Redington does things though ... And I'll wait til next year to buy a Butter Stick

Re: Redington's
Post 25 Nov 2013, 23:00 • #94 
Glass Fanatic
Agreed

Les

Post 09 Feb 2014, 20:47 • #95 
Master Guide
For a long time I presumed that Redington's reputation for being value oriented kept it's overall rep in check. It appears that their reputation has greatly improved in recent years. Every review I read refers to them as a quality player and are seen as one of the big boys. Their Vapen rod won the most and one of, if not "the" highest award available internationally.

I've tested some of the Buttersticks and found them quite impressive. I agree about the Western taper grip, a Superfine tapered grip in a diameter large enough for the average hand would have been preferable. I do like, however, what they refer to as the type A grip - a cigar grip/cork and ring set reel seat combination. This is somewhat similar to the combination used on Phillipson's "Epoxite" Registered Midge Rod series.

I do not understand the discontent expressed by a few here regarding the cosmetics and appointments/hardware. I believe that Redington's referring to retro (though the word design is used, this I presume was an ad writers witticism) is in truth meant with regard to ones choosing fiberglass in an era where the material is used in limited fashion for select buyers. The cosmetics are contemporary, with an eye to attracting young buyers, those into extreme fly fishing, and those anglers who just like having something with standout appeal. The finish, hardware, etc., is great. Better than the Featherweight, that is impressive at it's price point for certain, but the Butterstick is in a different league.

I own a 6'6" Dave Lewis (considered in same league with Steffen) and a 7'6" Phillipson Johnson era 800 series rod, considered by many to be the most cosmetically pleasing glass rod ever made. I see the Butterstick as being very close to these in it's finish and appointments. I would say the Buttersticks are finished comparably to glass rods costing $400 or more.

Most importantly, the rods in the Butterstick series casting characteristics are all appropriate for each line weight and length configuration. BTW, over-lining for shorter casts is not a detractor, in fact, it is a time honored practice that even Rajeff recommends.

Don't let past bias undervalue the Buttersticks when considering them - they are right up there with the Echo, and Orvis glass, and the price difference between the Echo and the Redington is small enough, that shipping costs or the cost of gas can shorten the gap to negligible if you get free shipping on the Redington.

Last edited by cyangler on 11 Feb 2014, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Feb 2014, 07:44 • #96 
Glass Fanatic
I'm convinced these BS (as well as the Echo glass rod) are great rods to FISH and will do their job until the end of times.
But I'm also convinced that the original owner will sell it in favour for a fancier looking rod from some rod shop any soon.

Post 10 Feb 2014, 15:00 • #97 
Master Guide
I'm not so convinced about the resale or trade. I've had fancy looking rods that I released from service - because they were not as good as some of the more simple looking rods I own. My Kosmic is beautiful and fishes beyond belief, But I love my Granger as well - more basic cosmetics - still a great fishing tool. Sold my Devine - a beautiful rod, but it was so-so in the performance department. My 50's Phillipson glass rods are very basic cosmetically, but are outstanding casting tools - wouldn't give them up easily.

The Buttersticks are very handsome rods as well as great performers. The individuals that give in to going fancier, would simply be feeding their own ego. But, to each their own. If they can afford it and turning heads matter, there are some good performers out there with a tad more flare than the Echo and the Butterstick.

Post 11 Feb 2014, 02:50 • #98 
Glass Fanatic
cyangler wrote:
The Buttersticks are very handsome rods as well as great performers. The individuals that give in to going fancier, would simply be feeding their own ego.

All those (probably deserved!) raves about the new rods built by Chris, Graywolf, etc.
No way, people will want to give them a try ...

Post 11 Feb 2014, 05:27 • #99 
Master Guide
I'm not certain I get your meaning. I was simply commenting on your saying that B-Stick purchasers would invariably trade or sell their rods in order to have one with fancier cosmetics.

As far as Chris, Greywolf, I am one who has complemented them - they make outstanding casting tools with unquestionable visual appeal.

Post 11 Feb 2014, 07:18 • #100 
Glass Fanatic
Let me put it this way:
Redington and Echo rods will open up the fiberglass rod to the average Joe.
Many will go back to their beloved fast graphite rods, couple will use it with lots of joy and a very few will venture the fiberglass world with the marvellous rods made by the custom builders.

Rather than keeping their first nice fiberglass rods by Redington and Echo, most will probably sell it to finance their 'real' nice fiberglass rod from the custom builders. Maybe a few will keep it because they are able to keep it. Many can't afford to keep it (they want more new gear!).

This is probably how it goes in any leisure.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply