It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:38

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Feb 2014, 08:22 • #101 
Administrator
ibookje wrote:
Redington and Echo rods will open up the fiberglass rod to the average Joe.

Rather than keeping their first nice fiberglass rods by Redington and Echo, most will probably sell it to finance their 'real' nice fiberglass rod from the custom builders.

Redington, Echo, and Orvis are widely distributed and the price is nice. The average Joe is more likely to see one in his local shop. Hopefully enough Joes try, buy, and like to keep the market going. However, I see this market as people buying a second or third rod, not their only rod.

I disagree that most will sell their new rod to upgrade to a custom builder rod. That custom builder rod will be a second or third (or eigth) glass rod, not an only rod. The typical longtime forum member here does not have typical buying practices. We march to a little different beat.

Tom

Post 11 Feb 2014, 09:39 • #102 
Glass Fanatic
Always buy, never sell. If you see something you like, get two. Some of these recent products may suit these precepts. Their consistency and availability is an enhancement of the market in this regard.

Buy a rod because you check it out well and think it will fish well, there is never a reason to sell it. It will fish just as well 30 years from now as the first time you tried it.

Post 11 Feb 2014, 10:53 • #103 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Buy a rod because you check it out well and think it will fish well, there is never a reason to sell it. It will fish just as well 30 years from now as the first time you tried it.

Amen!

Post 20 Feb 2014, 18:26 • #104 
Master Guide
Early report. I've had the Butterstick 6'6" 4wt at home for almost a week and a half. As far as looks, it's the only glass rod I have that is the near equal of the Phillipson Johnson 800 considered by many the nicest looking glass rod ever built. In production and limited production rods there really is no argument. Perhaps some custom rods, however, even there - the 800 has the classic simple lines, the beauty, found in a Porsche 911. And the more I look at the Butterstick, the more I see the similarity to the 800.

As far as performance: it's the only one of two short glass rods of several I own that amazes me to the extent that my Leonard 6' Catskill 3/4wt boo does. My ceilings are 8ft high on the first floor and I have a 30ft long room with a singe width door at the end leading into another room with an additional 10 feet on the other side.
I can cast with authority, accurately the first 30 feet, and counting for obstructions in the other room, through the door with nearly the same claim. Minus the rod length and leader, that is 20-30 feet of line.

Today was the first day warm enough to take the rod outside. Still too much snow in the yard, but was able to cast on the street in front of the house. This time I had a little breeze [6-8mph] to contend with and achieved the same results, managing a few (~3-5) additional feet to what I was limited to in the house. So, we're talking ~35 feet of line in the air for, approximately, a 45 foot cast - placing the fly where I intended.

I am a very happy fellow.

Post 22 Feb 2014, 00:46 • #105 
Guide
I have been buying Redington rods for years. The quality of thier rods is very good. The warranty is good, I have used it. I got the 8' 5wt Butter Stick. I like the way it looks and the cork grip feels good in my hand. This rod has a softness that I prefer. I have ordered custom fiberglass rods. Sold them all. They where to fast. To me its about having 20-25 feet of line out and having a blast landing 12" trout.

Post 22 Feb 2014, 04:50 • #106 
Master Guide
I hear you. I have a number of graph rods with names like Hardy, Leonard, Scott, Winston, Orvis, etc., all wonderful, but I also have a 7' multi-piece Redington that is their equal. Though I was exploring the longer casting potential of the little 6'6" Butterstick, my main intention is to use it for shorter casts on little brooks and streams where those 12" trout and occasionally larger, are a real possibility ... and little native brookies add color to ones memories.

Post 23 Feb 2014, 17:11 • #107 
Glass Fanatic
No surprise that Redington rods are good. They are just Sage's lower-priced brand made overseas in Asia instead of Bainbridge Island, WA. The parent company is called Far Bank, and they also own Rio: http://www.farbank.com/home

Post 23 Feb 2014, 17:30 • #108 
Master Guide
Yeah- I am really impressed by their offerings, which seem to get better reviews exponentially.

Post 25 Feb 2014, 14:10 • #109 
Guide
I am glad i am not in the market. i impatiently wait on the spring as i clean my lines to put on the Graywolf's and the Paddocks.
Winstons lower priced rods are chinese also. never heard any complaing about them.

Post 25 Feb 2014, 22:53 • #110 
Master Guide
I have a couple of Winston's, both manufactured in the USA. But, I too have heard no complaints re., their overseas outsourced models. The better rod makers set tight specifications, often will do periodic on site audits, and frequently do final product inspections at one of their stateside facilities.

Post 26 Feb 2014, 04:43 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
Come on guys, rods made in the far east are no longer junk, at least for the past 5-10 years.
Rods outsourced by companies like Winston, Redington, Echo, etc. are for sure no junk. They don't play poker with their reputation. And if there is a problem they will take care of it in no time.

So, what's the problem? ...

Post 26 Feb 2014, 09:19 • #112 
Master Guide
That was my point exactly.

Re: Redington's
Post 26 Feb 2014, 11:14 • #113 
Master Guide
ibookje wrote:
Rods outsourced by companies like Winston, Redington, Echo, etc. are for sure no junk. They don't play poker with their reputation. And if there is a problem they will take care of it in no time.

Exactly ... Look at how fast the Tempt was pulled ... Rod was brought in to replace the beloved CT and within a year or so was being clearanced and the CT was brought back immediately ... These companies definitely care about their customers and know when they're not happy

Post 26 Feb 2014, 11:26 • #114 
Administrator
Please guys, this thread is about Redington Butterstick rods. Don't make it about something else, such as Asian sourcing. It is not about Winston rods either. Please keep it about the rod in question.

Thanks,

Tom

Post 26 Feb 2014, 17:26 • #115 
Glass Fanatic
You're right Tom.
Sorry!

Post 26 Feb 2014, 18:59 • #116 
Master Guide
As I said, Redington is a top notch company. I love my Butterstick, and my other Redi too. I put them up there in terms of quality and performance with any of my other sticks.

Post 26 Feb 2014, 19:34 • #117 
Sport
I love the fact that all these companies are putting out new glass but would really love to see something from the Redington's or Echo's in that 6/7/8 range.

Post 26 Feb 2014, 20:22 • #118 
Master Guide
I agree ... The market needs new blue collar heavy weight glass ... 7-9/10 would be amazing!

Last edited by Admin on 26 Feb 2014, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Removed full quote of preceding post

Post 02 Mar 2014, 05:35 • #119 
Master Guide
whrlpool wrote:
Always buy, never sell. If you see something you like, get two. Some of these recent products may suit these precepts. Their consistency and availability is an enhancement of the market in this regard.

I remember a quote from Tom Morgan that is very similar to what you say here. Tom said something like "a rod that is a good rod will always be a good rod." I totally agree with what Whrlpool and Tom have said. And that is why I prefer to fish old Winston fiberglass and graphite IM6 and Pre-IM6 rods over the new Winston line of rods. And now for new fiberglass and graphite rods we have those from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths.

P.S. Sorry Tom! I made this post before I read your post. I was reading this discussion only because I was interested in seeing what people were saying about the Butter Stick rods because I was thinking about purchasing one for grayling fishing. I've read enough positive posts here that I am going to order one. Even those that have the higher priced rod lines still have a need for a lower priced rod that fishes well. I would feel a lot more comfortable leaving a Butter Stick in the truck in the middle of nowhere while I am off fishing a stream than I would leaving a Tom Morgan rod there.

Post 04 Mar 2014, 12:20 • #120 
Sport
Well it's my birthday today, and I've just been handed a 2wt butterstick! Going to pick up a line and reel tonight and I'll let you guys know how it casts tomorrow :)

Post 04 Mar 2014, 17:11 • #121 
Emeritus
Awesome - happy birthday, Chris! Hope you enjoy that rod over the coming season, and I look forward to hearing about it.

I know I'm looking forward to fishing a couple of new rods this year if spring ever comes ...

Nick

Post 06 Mar 2014, 08:57 • #122 
Guide
Every pic I see of the Butterstick it appears to have a different 'tint/color',,,,anyone got a accurate picture of one?

Mike

Post 06 Mar 2014, 09:06 • #123 
Administrator
fly_guy12955, Welcome to the Joys of Internet Photography! Everyone's camera/computer system/monitor and ambient lighting causes photos of the same color to look different. When we brought our snapshots to the corner film processor, all photos were tweaked to make skin tones look "right". Product photography was done by knowledgeable pros. Now there is no tweaking and everybody and their auntie photographs anything they like. The result is lots of variation in color.

In other words, even if I post a photo that is "accurate" at my end, that doesn't mean it will be accurate by the time it gets to your monitor. The best thing to do is track one down in the wild.

Tom

Post 06 Mar 2014, 10:19 • #124 
Sport
Depends on if there is light coming through it as well, usually it's a nice deep yellow (the only thing with that colour that comes to mind is curry) if there's light coming though it it's the colour of melted butter.

Post 06 Mar 2014, 15:15 • #125 
Sport
Great description of the color. It is just like yellow curry!

Last edited by Admin on 06 Mar 2014, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Removed TapaTalk sig

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply