It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:14

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Feb 2013, 16:01 • #1 
Guide
OK, it does seem a bit perverse to announce, when I'm back-ordered a full year, that I've developed two new models. But I took the opportunity afforded me by a switch to a slightly different weave of e-glass to not simply rework my existing models to where they're indistinguishable from or better than the earlier ones, but to come up with two additional models that I think make a lot of sense in glass.

The first is a 3-pc 4 weight at 8'2". This model 824 effectively splits the difference between my 8'1" 3 wgt and my 8'3" 5 wgt. It's as sweet a casting rod as either the 813 or 835, and in a length suitable for most light trout fishing. $590 with slide band seat; $600 with uplock wood; $610 with unlock cork.

The second new design is is a 5-pc model at 8 feet for a 5 wgt line. The 8055 is a rod I've wanted for my own travels. It handles a line weight that's useful for almost all trout fishing and packs down to 22" in its aluminum case. That makes it easy to carry anywhere: like on a family vacation when you know there'll be a chance to fish if you could unobtrusively carry some gear. It's every bit as nice as casting rod as my 3 piece models. $650 with cork slide band reel seat; $660 with wood uplock reel seat; $670 with cork uplock reel seat.

I've also reworked two existing models. The 835 is now a proper 5 wgt, just a scant hair tighter throughout than the version I've been building, and I now label it for a # 5 line rather than DT4/WF5. I've also stretched the 887 to 8'9" from the previous 8'8".

Email me for more detailed information and current pricing on all my glass rods.

If you've a rod currently on order, and would prefer to change your order to an 824 or 8055, let me know. It's possible that it won't take much longer for me to get you the new model than the one you originally ordered.

Larry

Post 05 Feb 2013, 16:41 • #2 
Master Guide
That's great Larry! I can attest to the 8'0" 5pc. 5wt. model. I am fortunate to have previously tested out a "prototype" 5/6wt. 5pc. that Larry offered and it was fantastic! It very well could be one of the most versatile "all around" glass offerings I've handled. Very portable and capable of a wide spectrum of flies.

The best,
Colt

Post 05 Feb 2013, 16:49 • #3 
Master Guide
So Larry, can I come out of the closet now? :lol

Remember, the yachts are coming so there will be plenty of time for building and playing "catch-up".

Post 05 Feb 2013, 20:04 • #4 
Administrator
Damn ... that 8055 sounds really neat.

Update (three hours later) So neat that I ordered one which should see delivery spring 2014. Kenney quality is worth the wait.

Post 06 Feb 2013, 00:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Good news, Larry! I look forward to my 7wt.

Here's what a 5pc looks like, when it's made by Larry. I agree on the versatility of this rod! Pure awesomeness!

Respectfully,
Christian

Post 06 Feb 2013, 09:51 • #6 
Master Guide
I've gotten my butt on the Larry's waiting list for 2 rods, a 3 and a 5 and I'm waffling back a forth between the 835 and 8055. I guess I have months to make up my mind but has anyone cast the two side by side? If that 8' 5 piece proves popular I may have to make a decision sooner than later.

Post 06 Feb 2013, 17:16 • #7 
Master Guide
Just got my name on his list for the new 4wt. I can't wait, but I will have to!

Post 12 Feb 2013, 18:51 • #8 
Master Guide
I have had the good fortune of owning an early experimental 8055 for a little over a year now.
I say experimental as it was made from a "mistake" blank. The boys over here at CTS used the incorrect lay-up for a couple of 813 blanks and they ended up a bit stiff for a 3 weight, so Larry cut and ferruled the blank, taped on some guides and hoping for a 5 piece 5 weight, ended up with a slow/medium 8' 5 piece 6 weight. Not exactly what he was after, the blank was banished to the furthest parts of the Earth and was delivered here to the bottom of NZ by a couple of Larry's good friends.
The blank arrived as Larry had left it, cut and ferruled- guide positions and spine marked and tip top fitted. It was up to me to finish the build, which was a bit intimidating, if your going to build a Kenney- you gotta do it right. I puddle around a bit with rod repairs and restoration, but never claimed to build to Larry's standard.

Last July while in Northern Ireland I used the rod near exclusively on the small streams there for wee wild brown trout and it worked wonderfully with a short line and leader casting maybe 15-20' maximum. Over here it will handle bigger waters and 40-50' just as easily and even I can just about "paint" a dry fly pretty much where intended. I have not spent time with Larry's other offerings to be able to compare, but he and a few of his friends cast it when I visited their club in San Francisco on the way home from Ireland and it got the nod of approval.
To me, it is slow/ medium #6 weight, but this is a one (or two ;) ) off blank and should not sway anyone's opinion on the new offering which is a specific design blank for a 5 piece 5 weight. Has great sensitivity and you can fish wet without an indicator and feel every bump and tremor, or fish dry at night and feel subtle sup's. Very little tip "bounce" is evident and the rod recovers very quickly.

You can tell there is another ferrule out there near the tip, but as I said I have not had the experience with his other offerings to know if it is pronounced or that much different, to me it does not detract from the rods performance and when offset against the versatility of the configuration for ease of packing and transport on aeroplanes- it is not even a factor!

For anyone looking for a backpacking or carry-on travel rod, you would be hard pressed to look past a 8055.

Larry feel free to jump in and correct anything I may have got wrong in the explanation.

Post 12 Feb 2013, 19:54 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Not exactly what he was after, the blank was banished to the furthest parts of the Earth and was delivered here to the bottom of NZ. . .

("BON-ee-shed", once emoted a Shakespearean actor.)

Congratulations on being worthy of and doing justice to a fine, unique piece. The wood (spalted maple? Something local?) and bronze are interesting and complementary.

Sounds as if you may have a fine candidate there for those one-rod/do-it-all questions.

Post 13 Feb 2013, 14:30 • #10 
Master Guide
swellcat wrote:

Congratulations on being worthy of and doing justice to a fine, unique piece. The wood (spalted maple? Something local?) and bronze are interesting and complementary.

Sounds as if you may have a fine candidate there for those one-rod/do-it-all questions.

Spalted NZ Beech, a piece picked up from a river beach that Larry has fished whilst here, which was chosen before I got Larry to send over the uplocking hardware, but they do compliment each other well.
These are "do all" rods, this one "may" be better suited to wet fly fishing but does present a dry very well for me and is equally at home with a short length of line or a hauling cast.

This rod will differ somewhat in build than Larry's ones, the grip is slightly longer and fuller, agatine stripper, beech versus cork or more stable Walnut timber seat insert, different wrap style and thread. However as explained- whilst my rod is a Kenney blank 5 piece- it is a different beast to the new 8055 and just goes to show the thought and planning that goes into Kenney rods in that he will not let upon the masses rods which do not do exactly what he is looking for them to do and if this was a "mistake" blank then the specific design ones are going to be really special!

New Topic Add Reply