It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:17

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: EPIC blanks!
Post 11 Feb 2013, 19:20 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
tabornatives wrote:
Spencer DT wrote:
Glass that casts like graphite, glass that casts like bamboo. Glass is pretty darn versatile.

Yes, but why not just fish graphite then? There is a lot more taper options, better warranties, less guessing whether it is legit or some cheap offshore blank that someone put fancy cork on. Personally, if I am going to put down money for a fiberglass fly rod, I want it to be something I can't feel in graphite or bamboo.

This rod does not "feel" like graphite. It's a fast taper but still glass, it has power but still has a supple feel like glass should and graphite does not. The blanks aren't "cheap" either. Not trying to argue, but felt I should type something.

Post 11 Feb 2013, 19:29 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Shane wrote:
tabornatives wrote:
Spencer DT wrote:
Glass that casts like graphite, glass that casts like bamboo. Glass is pretty darn versatile.

Yes, but why not just fish graphite then? There is a lot more taper options, better warranties, less guessing whether it is legit or some cheap offshore blank that someone put fancy cork on. Personally, if I am going to put down money for a fiberglass fly rod, I want it to be something I can't feel in graphite or bamboo.

This rod does not "feel" like graphite. It's a fast taper but still glass, it has power but still has a supple feel like glass should and graphite does not. The blanks aren't "cheap" either. Not trying to argue, but felt I should type something.

I wasn't referring to these epic blanks specifically, but the quote about glass casting like graphite. Again, what's the point?

Post 11 Feb 2013, 19:38 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with you.. if you want graphite or boo that is what you should purchase. I am not sure why it was said that they cast like graphite. I think someone may have meant these blanks have the casting capabilities of graphite, but cast like graphite ... NO.

Post 11 Feb 2013, 23:01 • #29 
Guide
tabornatives wrote:
Yes, but why not just fish graphite then?

:x Heresy! Take it back! I just caught a striper this afternoon on a broom stick stiff graphite rod

Shane, your work is amazing.

Post 12 Feb 2013, 00:48 • #30 
Guide
I have been using a very early Orvis Graphite recently that I rebuilt, a 7 foot something 4 wgt. An absolute delight.

It actually casts like 'glass ... :)

Post 18 Mar 2013, 11:29 • #31 
Master Guide
I have seen some pretty builds but has anyone casted them or fished with them? May be too premature or early for this type of feedback. May shoot a message to Matt Leiderman as he is attending Mcfarland gathering in Coburn in April 20th. If available would be great opportunity to cast one ( Assuming he had built out a blank?)

Post 26 Mar 2013, 11:02 • #32 
Guide
this one was recently finished and will be kept for my own enjoyment. Very deliate rod actually, w/ a fine tip and ample reserve power in the butt ... flexes mainly in the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the rod during normal casting ... these S glass rods have extremely fast recovery and are crisp in hand. Lovely rod I can't wait to fish ... JAS, you'll have to put a bend in it on some Spruce Creek trout!

Post 29 Mar 2013, 07:37 • #33 
Administrator
Matt ... are you REALLY going to keep it? From my experience rod builders seem to have a hard time holding on to fly rods ...

Post 29 Mar 2013, 09:40 • #34 
Master Guide
Cameron Matt will be at Mcfarland gathering on April 20th. in Coburn and a few rods have been know to change hands via night of adult beverages. Seriously a lot of great sticks get casted by best group of guys.

Post 29 Mar 2013, 10:40 • #35 
Guide
Cameron, I have the same problem ...

Post 16 Apr 2013, 03:51 • #36 
Sport
Hi all, the red Epic blank at #22 is mine. It was built by Shane and has been fished several times on the flats near Magnetic Island in North Queensland. It is a truly lovely build and the blank is very sweet. It isn't like anything but glass. It has accounted for a few small GTs. It is travelling to Christmas Island later this year along with a Epic 990 that Shane will also build for me. I hope to fish lots of bones on them while there. I ran a #6 and #7 bonefish taper over this rod with flies in #2 with 5/32 lead eyes. It loved this combo and threw out to 60-70 feet smooth as silk. I fish the saltwater flats with fast rods (Scott and Sage) but wanted a glass rod for the days where I wanted to feel more connected to what I love most about fly fishing - the action of seeing and casting to fish. My first Graywolf build was one of the rediscovered 7/8 Scott Blanks, which I love but is of course heavy compared to this newer glass technology. I have also fished these glass rods for smaller barramundi and snappers and they really put a great bend in the blank and allow you to pull into the butt on 16lb tippet in a way you could never do with graphite. Are they an alternative to graphite - no, not even. Are they an alternative to fishing graphite - Yes and a wonderful one at that. I should also say that Shane's builds are superb and examples of a craftsman at the top of his game.

Post 16 Apr 2013, 16:39 • #37 
Master Guide
Epic 990 ... :smokin tell me more!

Post 16 Apr 2013, 17:20 • #38 
Sport
The Epic 990 is the new blank from Swift. It is a 4 piece, 9 foot, 9 weight. The blank is designed as a flats rod but also aimed (as I understand it) as a steelheader's blank as well. It is only available in very limited numbers at this stage (possibly 10) and only in "so blue". I'm having one built by Shane to bomb some big bones and GTs at the Korean Wreck at Kiritimati. I'm very excited about this build because I can see real value in a #9 glass rod for the flats. They throw big flies with ease, pull hard on fish and are loads of fun.

Post 17 Apr 2013, 14:43 • #39 
Master Guide
Thanks Bill
Please post up pics and a review when you have got it wet
Mark

EPIC blanks!
Post 20 Apr 2013, 14:54 • #40 
Administrator
Bill ... I'm on the list as well for a Epic 990. Hope to have it built up in time for the Beaver Island carp trip this summer.

Post 21 Apr 2013, 00:15 • #41 
Sport
Hey Cam, I can't wait to fish the 990. Next time the 686 has an outing I'll make sure I get you some piccies like I promised.

Post 21 Apr 2013, 10:29 • #42 
Administrator
Bill ... I have a 686 as well and I am beyond impressed with it. I believe it's going to become my go to warmwater stick for the summer on the pond and elsewhere.

Post 25 Apr 2013, 08:31 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron, how does the performance of the Epic 686 compare with an equivalent Steffen?

Post 27 Apr 2013, 05:35 • #44 
Administrator
Lugan ... I have both the Epic 686 and the Steffen 8'6" 5/6 and Steffen 8'3" 6/7 weights so I'd consider those similar enough for a comparison.

I've long been a fan of the Steffen tapers and honestly worried that the Epic tapers would be to fast for my liking. The Epic 686 however has kind of blown me away at how nice it is. Admittedly it is quicker in taper than the Steffen but really what stands out to me in the power that this fly rod has. The first time in the yard with it I did just a couple short false casts and then laid out eighty feet of fly line with relative ease. The "wiggle test" is misleading since the rod feels quite different once a fly line is on it. When casting and fighting a fish the Epic 686 still has that very familiar feel of glass.

If you are ever interested in demoing either the Epic 476, 580, or 686 please let me know. I should have the 686 soon.

Post 29 Apr 2013, 14:53 • #45 
Guide
I have a 480 that I can offer up as a demo rod, if somebody wants to try out a 480. Only catch is that Cameron has to vouch for you, since I don't know everybody personally. Otherwise its pay a deposit (cost of the replacement) and I'll sent it to you to try. When you're done sent it back and I sent your deposit back.

Cameron,
Totally agree with you on the "wiggle test".completely faked me out.

Pete

Post 30 Apr 2013, 07:06 • #46 
Cameron wrote:
If you are ever interested in demoing either the Epic 476, 580, or 686 please let me know. I should have the 686 soon.

Cameron I would like to try all of those. .. but I'm in the United Kingdom!

Andrew

Post 08 May 2013, 11:24 • #47 
Master Guide
How much do the Epic blanks cost?

Post 08 May 2013, 11:35 • #48 
Guide
In the $250 range.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply