It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:04

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Sep 2012, 12:25 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,

I’ve decided to go in a different direction cosmetically with my custom Diamondback Glass builds while I wait for the blanks from the manufacturer I have been working with for the last eighteen months to arrive. I like everything about the new Diamondback Glass blanks, accept the color - something that has been a topic of conversation here on the forum. Here are some photos of my latest build on a 7’6”, 3 wt., 3 pc. blank.

Let me know what you think. I value your honest comments, good or bad. Thanks to all who take a look.

Steve Jenkins
Jenkins Fly Rods

Last edited by caneson on 05 Sep 2012, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Sep 2012, 13:04 • #2 
Sport
Looks nice ... I also picked up some B&W jasper thread a few days ago, to possibly use on the DGlass blank I bought from you recently.
Tom

Post 05 Sep 2012, 14:55 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I think you did a great job on this one and I liked the first cosmetics too, but to be honest, I'm just not a fan of the blue blank. Unless I REALLY loved the taper, it would be a deal breaker for me. I love your signature straight grain cherry reel seat you use very much (it says "Jenkins!" to me) but maybe it doesn't go with blue too well.

Post 05 Sep 2012, 15:59 • #4 
Master Guide
I like a dark color reel hardware with dark blanks. Thats me but your work is so clean. And me too, have had a problem with blue color blanks. Love your work.

Post 05 Sep 2012, 19:15 • #5 
Global Moderator
I really like the cosmetics and excellent workmanship but the blue blank ... not so much.

Doug

Post 05 Sep 2012, 20:12 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Love your work, Steve, but I must admit I don't care for the blue blank either. I much prefer the dark green of the prototype rod I bought from you. By the way, I have fished that rod a few times now, and the first fish I caught on it was a 3 pound smallmouth. Put a pretty good bend in the rod. Made me like the rod even more than I did before. :D

Larry

Post 06 Sep 2012, 09:33 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You do very nice work (glass and cane both). But I do agree that the blue color is not ideal. It's not a huge negative either, but given that there are other choices for excellent performing AND looking s-glass rods, IMO that color might tip your rods out of favor.

In particular, my personal comparison for quicker glass rods are Mark Steffen's. Their performance is as good as it gets, and you can get them built up with nice aesthetics from guys like Matt Liederman, Shane Gray, and Mark McKellip to name a few.

On the other hand, with all those Steffen-based choices already in the market, you might be smart to have chosen a different blank supplier. Only time in the market will tell. I hope it works out for you!

Post 07 Sep 2012, 19:01 • #8 
Sport
In all fairness, I have one of the new Diamondback blanks, and they really aren't quite that blue "in person". I would have much preferred a shade of brown, or a honey color, but in sunlight the blank is sort of a very, very dark teal color, at least to my eyes.
Tom

Post 07 Sep 2012, 23:17 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
While the blue blanks are not my first choice (nor a preferred color), they are not terrible.

Steve, from my experience (e.g. as a rod builder in the '70s) I am sure your can find thread colors and details that compliment the Diamondback blue blanks. Possible options that come to mind are a dark / navy blue wrap with thin (couple turns wide) silver tipping or mid wrap accent, a complimentary blue color wrap with white and cyan / light blue double tipping, or for a completely different direction a 'USA' wrap of dark red with white tipping. These types of wraps would need color preserver. The only translucent (no CP) wraps that I think would look good are dark gray or black. Just some thoughts. ..

Andrew.

Post 18 Sep 2012, 08:32 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Don't mind the blue blanks ... love the workmanship ... don't love the wraps (too disco-ish for my tastes).

Post 18 Sep 2012, 17:16 • #11 
Guide
Steve I like the color combinations very much, they are obviously well thought out. My first choice would be an amber blank but I doubt hidebound traditionalists such as myself make up all your market.

For the rod shown the only change I would suggest is a different color reel seat as ordinarily brown and blue are not paired.

Regards,
Squire

Post 18 Sep 2012, 18:15 • #12 
Master Guide
I like the blue, something different and unique, and the wraps look good with it!

Post 19 Sep 2012, 18:21 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Steve, the blank color is unconventional for sure, but the appointments and your craftsmanship are superb.

As a "traditionalist" I would personally opt not own a rod with a blue blank -- that is unless it was something very special. I'm curious to know what other color combinations you considered. What about deep yellow; or a neutral color, maybe something in the olive/kahaki family?

Post 20 Sep 2012, 17:17 • #14 
Sport
I have started building out my Diamondglass blue blank, and once it is done, I will post some pix. I took a different route, going with a navy blue thread with light gray tipping. I too wish the blank were a different color, but the blue wraps seem to be a good fit.

While my blank is supposed to be an 8'6" 4 wt per Diamondglass, I took it out back with the first line and reel handy, which happened to be a DT5 SA Ultra. It did quite well with that line, at least for me, so I will live with the blue color.
Tom

Post 22 Sep 2012, 12:50 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I am not partial to the blue ... I wish it were olive.

Post 23 Sep 2012, 18:39 • #16 
Master Guide
Steve,

I really like everything you did including the rod sock and tube. LOVE the blue :P

Post 13 Oct 2012, 15:18 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Our Perfumer is proliferating ... :x

Good ... an Administrator nipped that problem in bud!

[Note: we had a spammer posting about perfume. Cofisher deleted them. If you see spammers and such, please hit the report link so we can nuke them more quickly. Thanks, Tom]

Post 19 Oct 2012, 05:36 • #18 
Guide
I prefer an amber, olive or brown blank to all other colours for fly rods. Colour is secondary however to performance (T&T used/uses blue blanks). I will say for certain that a dark blank needs a dark spacer and blued hardware.

Post 26 Oct 2012, 10:27 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I might in the minority here, but I really like the blue blank. I love the reelseat and grip and hardware, but I'm not a fan of the wraps ... I think the term "discoish" was used ... but that's just me ...

Post 13 Nov 2012, 12:50 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I don't like blue rods but your wraps and hardware are very complimentry and classy for what you had to work with and makes the rod look great ... aurelio

Post 13 Nov 2012, 15:29 • #21 
Sport
Howdy,

Thanks to all who took the time to offer your constructive your comments. Albeit the blue is a difficult color to work with, I tried another build on a Diamondback Glass 8’0”, 4 wt., 3 pc. blank and went an entirely different direction with the cosmetics. The rod pictured below is equipped as follows:
• 7" Super Fine grip
• Tich anodized IUL (Internal Up-Locking) reel seat with Walnut insert
• Pac Bay Tich guides and tip top
• Blued Nickel Silver winding check
• Signature and ferrule wraps are iron gray with black and white variegated accents while guide wraps are iron gray with black and white variegated tags

The photos are not that great, but hopefully good enough to give you an idea of what I was shooting for. Those are dust specks on the on the up-locking barrel of the reel seat, not scratches. As always, your comments, good or bad, are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Steve Jenkins

Post 14 Nov 2012, 01:12 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Steve,

I like the direction you are going with the iron gray wraps with the black & white accent / tipping -- very nice. Personally I prefer it versus your first iteration with the black & white variegated wraps. I like the metal color on the reel seat (the style would not be my first choice). I am wondering if a black downlocking reel seat, maybe even with a gray 'graphite' or stained wood insert, and black winding check and black guides would not look good with those wraps. Just some personal thoughts. Again, very nice.

Andrew.

Post 14 Nov 2012, 09:12 • #23 
Master Guide
I like the cosmetics for the latest Diamondback Glass builds. Your latest color choice is similar to the cosmetics used for my graphite LL Bean Orions built by G Loomis. I believe these rods are the classiest blue rods I've seen. I likewise wonder how the rod would look with a darkly colored rod seat insert; black or a very dark brown. Nice looking build.

Joel

Post 19 Nov 2012, 14:24 • #24 
Sport
But it is still BLUE!

Post 19 Nov 2012, 20:13 • #25 
Sport
Granted, the color is "still blue" and what many consider an unappealing shade thereof - myself included. If the blanks were translucent that might make it easier, but any changes to the blank voids Cortland’s warranty. Still, I feel these are fine blanks and will continue to try to find a combination of wraps and components that will appeal to some anglers. Maybe Henry Ford had it right when he said, "Any customer can have a car painted any color he wants so long as it is black." Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Steve Jenkins

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply