It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:12

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Nov 2012, 21:48 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very interesting approach to making the best of what you have to work with in terms of color!

Just some food for thought, sometimes the less traditional or more daring choices of color can surprise the beholder? other times less is more, a number of years back I had a bundle of blemished glass blanks, the only blemish was color inconstancy, the tip and butt sections color were different shades of the same burgundy color, any way to make a long story short the blanks were not sanded so I dressed them slightly and painted them with a close shade of burgundy, they looked super, next was choosing the right color thread, I messed around with all shades trying to get the look I wanted but nothing seemed to fit,
Then it dawned on me to brush on some of the paint over one of the wraps to see what the wraps the exact same color of the blank might look like, I liked it so I did the whole rod that way, everyone liked the look of them so I put up the whole bundle of blanks eventually with painted to match wraps.
Not suggesting that's what you should do just sharing one of my stumbled upon solutions to a similar quest.

I'm fortunate to have known reggie galvin, reggie was a rod maker of local popularity in the berkshire mountains of massachusetts and surrounding areas, reggie had an uncanny ability to come up with contrasting color combinations that were just amazing. Often when I get color stumped I ask myself what reggie might choose?

I like both your renditions, the jaspers is more of a cane standard and always works for my taste, the grey picks up the reel seat color essence they complement each other nicely.

we had a running joke going about blue thread a while back with one of my lipstick on a pig remakes over in tinker town, basically the joke was that since I had more shades of blue thread than anything else in house "because it's so popular", that we should start a new blue trend and then I could get rid of some of the stuff, maybe a series of rod tinker sings the blues rods with some glitter mixed in the finish?

Just kidding of course but blue is a tough color to make work in today's market, I have faith though look at all the natural color blanks being the rave now, they are about the furthest from my choice as you could get , I would have never in a million years figured that pale colorless bland unfinished blanks would be embraced as they have, another trend? we'll see? , but they would look great with robins egg blue wraps with navy blue accents in my opinion!

Ps as an after thought ashamedly my two most favorite colors that go best with blue in my opinion are red and white!

Steve you're on the right track!

Tight lines and spectrum loops
Andy M

Post 20 Nov 2012, 14:56 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I like this version a lot. The variegated accents are really cool. Something you don't often see. I think some Phillipsons had the same accents.

Post 21 Nov 2012, 18:52 • #28 
Guide
100% improvement on the cosmetics , IMHO. Looks great!

Post 22 Nov 2012, 08:12 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
The solid wraps are far better looking than the variegated of the previous model. Grip length is way too long for an 8ft rod and the shape is not what most folks buying custom built rods are looking for. I have owned a few rods with internal up-locking reel seats(Ari Hart) and they are a pain in the butt that add expense without improving function.

I think T&T figured out a way to make a blue blank appealing, but this grey is pretty attractive.

Post 22 Nov 2012, 16:51 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I like this build a little better also ... and with this rod the blue doesn't seem to be as striking. Maybe it grows on you.. kinda like this reel :

I actually might like to have one of your rods in a 5wt to match with my Opti DryFly.

My being color blind doesn't help ... I can't wear blue anything because I cannot match to it. For me blue is purple and purple is blue, so go figure.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply