It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:32

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jun 2015, 09:17 • #26 
Master Guide
For me there is some mysticism associated with Mario's rods , mainly my lack of understanding his tapers. With the exception of a rare for McFarland a 7'2" 4
Semi para I have entirely progressive type glass. Greatly enjoyed this thread as it was very educational, now just need to actually see a Wojnicki famous rod.

Post 07 Jun 2015, 17:32 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
JASTrout, I have McFarland's 7'2 semi para, mine is marked as a 5 weight but I like it with a 4 too. It's my only rod with a taper that is not progressive. To me, Mike is like Mario in that he likes to experiment and has the ability to realize his vision. Like you I haven't fished a Wojnicki para but I hope to soon. IMHO these two designer builders are among the very best, modern or otherwise. They also know how to keep things interesting.

Post 08 Jun 2015, 14:14 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
From talking with Mario and Mike, the 7'2" #4 Wojnicki 217P4 was designed to cast a DT4 and the McFarland 7'2" #5 was designed for a Wulff TT5. I took the two rods out for some lawn casting this morning and found both rods to be very similar in the way they cast a Supra DT4. If you do a very unscientific "waggle" test, they feel and look very similar, at least to me. That said, the McFarland blank profile looks like a normal progressive taper while the Wojnicki appears to be almost a reverse taper in the butt section with a heavier (thicker) mid and tip. I have never miced the Wojnicki so this could just be an optical illusion. The 217P4 is listed in Mario's website as a true parabolic but oddly Mike told me he didn't design my Spruce Creek 7'2" #5 as a para or even semi-para rod, but just a slower progressive. What ever they are, they are both very sweet rods with very different but beautiful cosmetics - perhaps fraternal twins.

Frog, I am assuming we both have the same rod? Didn't some folks call it the "McDriggs"? Jeff, I'll bring the 217P4 to Allenberry.

Edit: I did a search for "McDriggs" and found that Lugan commissioned Mike to build one which was indeed parabolic. It was built a few years before mine. (Mine was built in 2010.) I'm now thinking my 7'2" #5 is not the same rod as Lugan's McDriggs even though it is the same length and line weight. It certainly feels like a para rod to me but I'm not the best judge of actions so if Mike says it wasn't designed as a para rod then I guess it isn't. Still, it sure feels a lot like the Wojnicki 217P4. I would guess Frog's rod is one like Lugan's old rod ... maybe it is Lugan's rod?

Sorry to take this Wojnicki 235P5 thread off on a tangent but was just trying to relate my impressions to JASTrout and Frogmorten's posts.

Post 08 Jun 2015, 15:27 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Duff, the inscription on my McFarland reads simply " McFarland Rod Company-Spruce Creek 7' 2" 5 wt, #1910" so there is no para or semi para mentioned. I'm not experienced enough with para rods to be able to describe or recognize the action. I do vaguely remember the McGriggs rod but I don't think mine is the McGriggs. As I recall Lugan sold both the McGriggs and the Wojo 5 wt para over time. I haven't seen either come up for sale since. Maybe the man himself will see this revived thread and comment for us.

Sorry for straying from the OP

Post 08 Jun 2015, 19:52 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I had a McFarland 7'2" 5wt that Cross Creek built (jhuskey now has it) that is a sanded blank and not parabolic.
Regarding Lugan's original 235p5, I know it's been sold and might know who the new owner is... :hat :D

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply