It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:18

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
T&T under new ownership
Post 22 Apr 2011, 23:05 • #26 
Administrator
Looks like Zach Matthews of the Itinerant Angler has a podcast coming up this week where he interviews Mark Richens. He provided a few post interview notes on the forum.

T&T under new ownership
Post 25 Apr 2011, 12:49 • #27 
Administrator
The Itinerant Angler podcast interview of Mark Richens is available for download or listen.

T&T under new ownership
Post 26 Apr 2011, 04:30 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
OMG, he's a Brit! I guess that's OK though. :-)

T&T under new ownership
Post 26 Apr 2011, 10:41 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I listened to thw whole podcast. I really like this new owner. At least, he says all the right things in terms of his motivations for buying this business, his philosophy toward turning things around, and the fact that he is just a very committed fisher. I have hope.

T&T under new ownership
Post 13 Jun 2011, 04:06 • #30 
Guide
I have the T&T Heirlooom 8' 5wt. It is no broomstick, beautiful, technically perfect in it's cosmetics, and casts like a dream ( you do have to get use to the action). Tom Dorsey doesn't associate himself with junk; it's a shame to see him gone from the company he co-founded.

Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Jun 2011, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.

T&T under new ownership
Post 16 Sep 2011, 13:55 • #31 
Sport
There is room for the T&T products. It is impotant that we Americans support our home grown products.

T&T under new ownership
Post 17 Sep 2011, 09:39 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Last I heard Mr. Dorsey is at TnT. I spoke with Trevor a week or so ago and Tom was there.

T&T under new ownership
Post 19 Sep 2011, 04:55 • #33 
Guide
I'm pleased to know that Dorsey is still there, he's a great person and to make a real understatement, knows about fly rods! I think his work is grossly underrated and several highly regarded rod makers would not be so esteemed had they not learned from Tom Dorsey.

Richard

T&T under new ownership
Post 25 Sep 2011, 21:27 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I sure hope T&T will continue to deliver high-end fiberglass rods, because they sure know how to build them. They might not be in the front line with space age materials and minimal weight, but they know how to build a fishing rod.

I had the opportunity to fish my new 8', 4wt last weekend in a small swedish stream. It was a perfect match with a Joan Wulff TT5. I look forward to fish it hard next season.

/Chris

Post 14 Nov 2013, 19:42 • #35 
When t&t produced these trav'ler Series? Realy hard to find! I got one It's 8'#4 4-pic
with silver metal tube. Named trav'ler Nothing else. I'd try to find information of that Rod, but can't find anything. So is This early series than that Special Dry Fly?
and what is value of these rods?
thanks!

Post 14 Nov 2013, 20:05 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
enppu83 wrote:
When t&t produced these trav'ler Series? Realy hard to find! I got one It's 8'#4 4-pic
with silver metal tube. Named trav'ler Nothing else. I'd try to find information of that Rod, but can't find anything. So is This early series than that Special Dry Fly?
and what is value of these rods?
thanks!

ImageImage

Yes your rod is a Special Dry Fly in a 4 piece format. I owned the same rod in mint condition. The rods are worth a lot of money for graphite rods. This model is the finest dry fly rod I have ever handled.

Post 14 Nov 2013, 21:48 • #37 
Looking great! I Think So too that is most best graphite rod. Sad They don't produced it anymore.

thanks for that pictures! When i get home i'l try take few pics..

Post 14 Nov 2013, 22:03 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
enppu83 welcome to the forum :)

Post 14 Nov 2013, 22:41 • #39 
Thanks!
this is great site.
hope u don't get pistoff my "good" English writing ... Trying learn better.

Post 14 Nov 2013, 23:04 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
enppu3, very few Americans speak Suomi. Your English is fine. Hope you will post some photos of the places where you fish.

You are either awake very late or very early. Good morning!

Post 14 Nov 2013, 23:19 • #41 
Yeah!
just finished work week 06.00 Nightshift (hate it)
maybe I'll post pics our rivers and streams.

Post 15 Nov 2013, 05:22 • #42 
Guide
I've heard there closing again ... any truth to this?

Post 15 Nov 2013, 05:46 • #43 
Administrator
DB ... I'm not sure. For the last year I've heard a rumor several times that Richens wants out and may be looking for a buyer but haven't heard anything other than unconfirmed rumors. They have been rolling out new graphite models of all sorts for 2014 the past couple weeks so hopefully that speaks to their health as a company.

Post 15 Nov 2013, 09:16 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron, you prompted me to check the T&T website just now, and wow, do they ever have a lot of new models for 2014 - in fact, about a half dozen new SERIES of rods. The glass rods appear the same for now, but at least all the new offerings are a sign of vitality for T&T overall: http://thomasandthomas.com/rods-category

Post 15 Nov 2013, 16:30 • #45 
Master Guide
One thing a have to say about T&T is I always heard horror stories about very very long waits on repairs.After the new ownership took over I let my buddy borrow my lps the tip broke.I sent it to them with in 2 week I had it back.I borrowed one of the heirlooms from Cameron when he was at the Catskills gathering.Lets just say not really a big fan the fit and finish were great as with all T&T products but the rod itself felt clunky for a lack of a better word sorry Mr Dorsey.

Post 15 Nov 2013, 16:46 • #46 
Master Guide
Lordideme, what Heirlom were you casting? I found their 8 ft models to be clunky also but really liked the 7'6" 3 wt and 7'6" 4wt. Well, I've made it well known that I've never cast a glass 3wt that I didn't like and that includes the T&T stuff. However I can't justify spending $700 bucks for a tip over ferruled rod that in all honestly doesn't cast (much) better than my 2 piece tip over Lami. How well does a 3wt rod need to cast anyways?

The glass market is tiny but I think T&T is well positioned to take advantage of this growing segment. Their rod building skills are second to none as far as I'm concerned (well, Burkheimer does nice work also). If they tweaked the tapers a bit, used spigot ferrules and perhaps dropped the price a little they might see a big increase in sales.

Post 15 Nov 2013, 17:34 • #47 
Master Guide
Af 95% sure it was the 8ft 5 wt.To me it felt way too heavy.I know if you want a super lightweight rod glass isn't the way to go.Compaired to the newer glass rods I own and the ones I have casted the Tt&T just felt way to heavy in the range of glass from the 60's..Kind if in the range of my 76R which I love to death and will most likely be buried with!

Burkheimer does do good work I received my 8' 4wt morgan blank 2 week ago.

The 700 price is steep.I can say one thing all the T&T guys are very loyal.My only fear if you can say that the new owner is a real big salt water guy.I hope all the r&d doesn't go towards those rods.They also seem to be real big into the 2 handers now

Post 15 Nov 2013, 18:09 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Lordideme wrote:

The 700 price is steep.I can say one thing all the T&T guys are very loyal.My only fear if you can say that the new owner is a real big salt water guy.I hope all the r&d doesn't go towards those rods.They also seem to be real big into the 2 handers now

When you are a very small company you need to build rods that the majority of the fishing public is going to be potentially interested in. I'd guess there is more than a 20 to 1 ratio of saltwater fly fisherman compared to Fiberglass Flyrodders and an equally large ratio of spey anglers compared to this tiny angling community we belong to. If a company is going to stay in existence is has to play the numbers game thus build rods for popular fishing styles. I think we would all agree although glass is unique, but it is not very popular out there on the water, at least I never run into anyone fishing glass. The last time I visited Trevor he was giving me the rod company comparisons and even Scott(which I think of as a small company) is huge compared to T&T.

I have been a T&T customer for decades. Love their saltwater rods and many of their graphite trout rods. If they didn't make glass I'd still be a huge fan. There are glass rods that I have found much more to my liking than any of the Heirlooms I have cast and fished, thus I probably would never buy a T&T glass rod anyway.

Post 15 Nov 2013, 19:10 • #49 
Master Guide
I pretty much agree everything you said tabor.I have 2 lps rods and and xl 7'6' 3 wt one of the most glass like graphite rods I have ever picked up.The sales of the heirloom most likely won't there electric bill let alone cover payroll.You can't froget where your bread is buttered and it on a graphite roll for most company's lol.

I always thought Thomas&Thomas made the best looking rod from the hardware right down to the writing on the rods.I always looked fwd each year to getting the catalogue that was to cool for school too!

Post 19 Nov 2013, 15:25 • #50 
Sport
My partner and I visited Thomas & Tomas last week. Tom Dorsey is active in rod design and continues to develop new rods.

The company is in its second year of ownership by Mark Richens and is quite profitable with a nice backlog of orders. I saw at least 8-10 of the dark green fiberglass rods on the finished table ready for shipment.

The bamboo rods are also backlogged and that department is very busy.

We will visit again later this week to work with Tom on new Spey rod development.

Regards,
FK
Spey Casting North East

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply