It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:52

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Nov 2013, 15:29 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Lordideme wrote:
I pretty much agree everything you said tabor.I have 2 lps rods and and xl 7'6' 3 wt one of the most glass like graphite rods I have ever picked up.The sales of the heirloom most likely won't there electric bill let alone cover payroll.You can't froget where your bread is buttered and it on a graphite roll for most company's lol.

I always thought Thomas&Thomas made the best looking rod from the hardware right down to the writing on the rods.I always looked fwd each year to getting the catalogue that was to cool for school too!

Sorry to see the writing is now a decal. And along with preformed grips, they've taken a step backwards, IMO.

Post 10 Dec 2013, 20:42 • #52 
Sport
gearboy wrote:
Lordideme wrote:

Sorry to see the writing is now a decal. And along with preformed grips, they've taken a step backwards, IMO.

I assure everyone, the writing is most definitely not a decal. The inscriptions are hand written by the lady that wraps the guides.

I do not understand the observation about preformed grips, the cork rings are glued on and hand shaped.

On our last visit with Tom Dorsey, he was describing the newest latest graphite technology they just received and how it would make the blanks lighter and stronger than the material used last year. T&T has a very large room with freezers for storage of the graphite and fiberglass rolls to protect the epoxy resin prepreg.

T&T is also now offering custom wooden reel seat inserts and nickel silver hardware in addition to their catalog described rods.

Regards,
FK

Post 11 Dec 2013, 10:48 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Fk, You are correct, my error. T&T said the Thomas and Thomas script is a decal and the rest of the info is hand done, and the grips are not preformed but made like you said. Glad to know now, thanks!

Post 19 Dec 2013, 16:43 • #54 
Sport
We visited Thomas & Thomas again yesterday.

On the assembly line lovely dark green fiberglass with excellent cork grip, reel seat with pretty wooden insert ready for guide wrapping.
These rods are not sold and are made up for inventory:
7'6" 3wt Quan 6
7'6" 4wt Quan 6
8' 4wt Quan 3
8" 5wt Quan 3

They can be purchased directly from T&T or via you dealer.

More FG blanks were seen coming out of the painting process in our plant tour.

In addition, they have a very extensive inventory of the discontinued graphite blanks available for repairs. I asked if they would make up a new rod for anyone who liked the early Horizon action or other models,,, the answer was yes,,,, if they have a blank in storage it can be assembled into a newly made rod.

T&T is not a mass production facility,,, they are a custom shop.
One can order rods with fancy burl wood reel seats with nickel silver and soon custom colors will be available for the blanks.

We also saw six 9' 5wt graphite rods made in 6pc being finished for a special order going to Europe.

It was also confirmed to us that the rumor of Mark Richens selling T&T is off the table and he is not considering any sale at this time. They are very busy making the new Tom Dorsey designed rods and are backlogged for production orders.

Regards,
FK

Post 19 Dec 2013, 18:01 • #55 
Master Guide
Being from Massachusetts and having fished the Deerfield regularly, with former T & T pro staff, I have mixed feelings. To hear that a sale was already on the table, Darn Quick, in my opinion, though rumored to no longer have legs - all the talk of a class-act fly fisherman being a great move seems ethereal to me. The sale may look like a good business move, but I am more concerned about the tradition and authenticity. I am glad to hear that Tom Dorsey is still designing and that they are still building here in Mass.

I've owned a latter day graphite, and still own an early Classic cane.

All I can say is "Thank you" for the continuance of fine rod crafting. They have earned the names "Rod Builder" and "Maker".
I also wish them the best of luck.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply