It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:32

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Feb 2013, 06:04 • #151 
Sport
Just got an email from Matt Leiderman saying work on my my blank is started and it will be finished in around a month.
Thereafter some curing time, before jetting over to me so hopefully inside two months and before our start of season.
Looking forward to seeing (and fishing) it like a kid at Christmas!

Post 11 Feb 2013, 03:47 • #152 
Sport
sevilla315 wrote:
Just got an email from Matt Leiderman saying work on my my blank is started and it will be finished in around a month.
Thereafter some curing time, before jetting over to me so hopefully inside two months and before our start of season.

sevilla,

What hardware & wrapping colours did you go with?

I can feel your excitement mate & from the various Morgan rods that Matt has done, they will be outstanding with few peers.

Post 12 Feb 2013, 14:35 • #153 
Sport
Steve Brown wrote:
sevilla315 wrote:

sevilla,

What hardware & wrapping colours did you go with?

I can feel your excitement mate & from the various Morgan rods that Matt has done, they will be outstanding with few peers.

Steve,

Given that he has such talent, I decided to hand over the reins to Matt and let him produce a "Leiderman Special" :) It would be a shame IMHO to just get him to produce a rod to my specs or just copy a Morgan. I did something similar recently with a Vancouver based cane maker, and I was blown away by the results. I'm sure that it will be exactly the same with Matt's interpretation. He did however ask my opinion on hardware and I said that I liked blued rather than bright, but it wasn't a stipulation; he agreed and said that aging blued hardware created a beautiful patina over time.

Regards,
S

Post 12 Feb 2013, 15:37 • #154 
Master Guide
Sevilla, just wondering what cane maker in Vancouver was it. I have casted a couple of rods from makers up there.

Post 12 Feb 2013, 16:05 • #155 
Sport
JOHN WALLACE wrote:
Sevilla, just wondering what cane maker in Vancouver was it. I have casted a couple of rods from makers up there.

John,
It's the incredibly talented James Reid, who made me a beautiful hollowbuilt spliced ferrule spey rod last year. I've returned to commission him to do a single handed seatrout rod.

Regards
S

Post 05 Mar 2013, 16:08 • #156 
Sport
Well I've just been contacted by Matt, and it's in the varnishing stage. So all ready to ship in a week or so, and a week or so processing in customs means it will arrive just in time for our season start.
His excitement for me to see it adds even more to the experience. Who says Christmas is for kids?!
Stand by for pics folks!
S

Post 05 Mar 2013, 16:50 • #157 
Master Guide
Looking forward to seeing this one.

Post 05 Mar 2013, 18:04 • #158 
Glass Fanatic
sevilla315 wrote:
Well I've just been contacted by Matt, and it's in the varnishing stage. So all ready to ship in a week or so, and a week or so processing in customs means it will arrive just in time for our season start.
His excitement for me to see it adds even more to the experience. Who says Christmas is for kids?!
Stand by for pics folks!
S

Are you getting one of the 7'6" 5wt rods he had posted as partially complete a week or two ago? If yes, please also test cast it and write a review for the FFR collective! Thanks

Post 05 Mar 2013, 18:48 • #159 
Sport
Lugan wrote:
sevilla315 wrote:
Stand by for pics folks!
S

Are you getting one of the 7'6" 5wt rods he had posted as partially complete a week or two ago? If yes, please also test cast it and write a review for the FFR collective! Thanks

Actually, yes it is a 7'6" #5! I will be sure to post my review of it though the glass fanatic who convinced me to go for it (without too much arm twisting) will get the honour of first blood!

Post 22 Mar 2013, 14:28 • #160 
Sport
Sevilla has she arrived yet?

Post 22 Mar 2013, 19:30 • #161 
Sport
Steve Brown wrote:
Sevilla has she arrived yet?

Steve, nearly there, on the drying rack I've been informed.
I'm happy not to rush these things, all in good time. With luck at the end of next week if it doesn't get held up in customs, and the week after if it does.
I'll be sure to post the pics, for sure the wait will be worth it!
S

Post 23 Mar 2013, 13:57 • #162 
Sport
Holy Moses, have you seen the finished 7'6" Morgans on the Leiderman Rods FB page? :D
Now that's what I call stunning!

Post 23 Mar 2013, 21:28 • #163 
Administrator
sevilla315 ... I have ... and one of them is mine. I can't wait to add it to the collection. Leiderman's work is unreal good.

This is my second fly rod purchase in a week or so. I just picked up the Epic 686 build that Graywolf Rods did for me. I'm done for a while ...

Post 24 Mar 2013, 08:26 • #164 
Sport
Cameron

They sure do look special alright, I'm really looking forward to receiving that baby.

The finishing work on Tom's rods is exceptional but I'm sure that these would meet his seal of approval!

The half wells on your rod is beautiful; it reminds me of those on the older Winston bamboos which I really loved.
Are those mildrum strippers on your rod?

Regards
Steve

Post 25 Mar 2013, 00:33 • #165 
Sport
sevilla315 wrote:
Holy Moses, have you seen the finished 7'6" Morgans on the Leiderman Rods FB page? :D
Now that's what I call stunning!

I only saw them last night, they are "works of art". You & Cameron have a lot to be happy with. I kept looking over those photos for ages last night, his wraps are impeccable & Matt's hardware is ... well one of a kind.

Post 29 Mar 2013, 07:35 • #166 
Administrator
The Leiderman Rods Morgan build arrived this week and is every bit as beautiful as in the photos that Matt posted online. I spent some time in the yard with it and it feels wonderful with a 5DT on it. A Hardy Lightweight looks right on it as well.

More photos in this TFM post if you haven't seen this build yet.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.. .. eight.html

Now to sneak away to a trout stream and get it wet.

Post 06 Apr 2013, 08:37 • #167 
Glass Fanatic
I posted this four piece on a separate topic, but thought it would be great to have a running log of all of our Morgan glass builds. Here are photos of the four piece, seven weight I finished a short while ago. The owner in Alaska sent an email and is thrilled with the rod. I am working on finishing the light three weight now, and should be able to get photos up soon.

Post 06 Apr 2013, 11:29 • #168 
Guide
Excellent work Shane, as always!

Post 08 Apr 2013, 22:23 • #169 
Sport
Great looking rods. I'm curious what size stripping guide you used on the 7wt? It has great color. Really, a nice choice.

Up in Alaska, I can't even imagine the adventures that rod will see ...

Post 13 Apr 2013, 14:01 • #170 
Sport
Well I picked up my Leiderman Morgan from the post depot today, and it is as beautiful in the hand as it was so beautifully portrayed by Matt on his FB site - which is always the proof in the pudding.
I had a little wiggle with an old 93 coral black Abel Pt. 5 with dark walnut handle attached, when the anodising was so lustrous that it looked like black wet paint, and it looked perfect with the Morgan and Leiderman cosmetics; balance was absolutely perfect perched on my index finger an inch or so down from the top of the cork. I have a RIO ST DT5F on it which I used with my old LT5 #5 and I'm sure it'll be a nice match also. I was surprised by how crisp this glass blank felt, not too dissimilar to a DL4 which I had up till quite recently.
I can hardly wait to try this out in anger.
S

Post 22 Jun 2013, 22:53 • #171 
Sport
Biggie-Robs, I have a 7 wt 4 piece Morgan on order. I asked Tom his recommendation for the stripper size, and he suggested a size 12.

Post 23 Jun 2013, 03:01 • #172 
Sport
I'm looking forward to Shane building me one of the 4 piece Morgans when a blank becomes available. They look to be a wonderful rod.

Post 23 Jun 2013, 17:04 • #173 
Sport
[quote="Shane"]I posted this four piece on a separate topic, but thought it would be great to have a running log of all of our Morgan glass builds. Here are photos of the four piece, seven weight I finished a short while ago. The owner in Alaska sent an email and is thrilled with the rod. I am working on finishing the light three weight now, and should be able to get photos up soon.

Shane, I was curious if its not proprietary, what material did you use for the cap on the fighting butt of this Morgan?

Post 23 Jun 2013, 17:20 • #174 
Sport
Fishstix wrote:
Biggie-Robs, I have a 7 wt 4 piece Morgan on order. I asked Tom his recommendation for the stripper size, and he suggested a size 12.

Cool, thank you!

Post 23 Jun 2013, 17:29 • #175 
Glass Fanatic
Fishstix, that's just burl cork on the end. As far as stripping guide size - Tom supplies a size chart with the rod blanks, I have about 10 of them here.

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply