It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:25

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Nov 2013, 14:05 • #176 
Sport
:)

Post 08 Nov 2013, 18:41 • #177 
Glass Fanatic
Looks sooooo nice!

Post 08 Nov 2013, 18:48 • #178 
Guide
Shane wrote:
I posted this four piece on a separate topic, but thought it would be great to have a running log of all of our Morgan glass builds. Here are photos of the four piece, seven weight I finished a short while ago. The owner in Alaska sent an email and is thrilled with the rod. I am working on finishing the light three weight now, and should be able to get photos up soon.

Why the fighting butt?

Post 08 Nov 2013, 19:29 • #179 
Glass Fanatic
Pete, it's a 7wt and that's what the client requested. Here is one I just finished yesterday, and again client requested a fighting butt.

Post 08 Nov 2013, 22:33 • #180 
Master Guide
rlyfst1, I'd love to see more pics of the Morgan made rod.

fighting butt and uplock hardware just seem right on a 7wt rod, especially if it's headed to Alaska. :)

Post 09 Nov 2013, 09:29 • #181 
Sport
a f Baker wrote:

I'll try to post better pics later, my SLR is a the office, this was taken with my point and shoot, but you can get a good idea of the wraps and Gerri's color choices.

Post 11 Nov 2013, 20:34 • #182 
Sport
a f Baker wrote:

A couple more detail shots

Post 11 Nov 2013, 21:21 • #183 
Glass Fanatic
Love it!

Post 12 Nov 2013, 10:37 • #184 
Master Guide
That's as fine as they come. Thanks for the photos, we don't see many (any?) rods that were finished out by Gerri.

Baker

Post 12 Nov 2013, 14:21 • #185 
Glass Fanatic
Certainly one of the best looking rods ever to appear on the forum. Gerri's handwriting is as good as it gets - just gorgeous.

Post 12 Nov 2013, 14:28 • #186 
Glass Fanatic
Writing on the rod is very important to me and I don't know if it gets better than that. The best I've seen seems to be all women, the Winstons, Mary Lu Lewis (did Dave's rods) along with Gerri.

Post 12 Nov 2013, 21:14 • #187 
Sport
Duff wrote:
Certainly one of the best looking rods ever to appear on the forum. Gerri's handwriting is as good as it gets - just gorgeous.

A better close up:

What's amazing to me is the incredible finish on this rod. The build date is April of this year, but she just finished it and I got it on Thursday last week!

Last edited by rlyfst1 on 13 Nov 2013, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Nov 2013, 23:41 • #188 
Glass Fanatic
gearboy wrote:
Writing on the rod is very important to me and I don't know if it gets better than that. The best I've seen seems to be all women, the Winstons, Mary Lu Lewis (did Dave's rods) along with Gerri.

I believe that the Scott signature / name and rod information is written by a women as well.

Andrew.

Post 12 Nov 2013, 23:44 • #189 
Master Guide
You're a lucky man, rlyfst1. Very nice. Beautiful builds too, Shane.

Post 13 Nov 2013, 06:20 • #190 
Glass Fanatic
That is a beautiful rod! Seeing those pictures, I remember I promised Cameron to shoot some pics of my TM rod:

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.. .. verse.html

I will bring out the camera and take some pictures. These rare birds deserves to get all the attention they can get!

Post 13 Nov 2013, 08:16 • #191 
Master Guide
Seeing these great looking rods I need to relate this story from Saturday. About 4 oclock after suffering from Penn State loss( Painful was not it Gearboy? ) my phone rings: Hello this is Tom Morgan catching up on my wait list. I was speechless. I kind of remember sending e mail say four years ago but my bud Guttapercha ordered two blanks and offered me one that Matt Leiderman elegantly built. I told him this history and how thrilled I was to not only own one of gist rods but to be having this conversation. We had a lovely talk and the football game became so insignificant.

Post 13 Nov 2013, 12:32 • #192 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty awesome Jeff!

Bob

Post 29 Nov 2013, 15:07 • #193 
Sport
Just a comment about casting the Morgan, I went to the PCC casting pond last Sunday. It took a few casts to get a feel for this rod. Once I got the timing right it was the most natural feeling rod I've ever cast. Laid down the line gently and straight. Then, I don't know if it's the zen associated with this rod, I finally got the hang of double hauling. I could never do it right until now, I could feel when to accelerate the line, just magical. :)

Post 23 Dec 2013, 00:41 • #194 
Master Guide
Shane wrote:
I posted this four piece on a separate topic, but thought it would be great to have a running log of all of our Morgan glass builds. Here are photos of the four piece, seven weight I finished a short while ago. The owner in Alaska sent an email and is thrilled with the rod. I am working on finishing the light three weight now, and should be able to get photos up soon.

This "owner in Alaska" is now retired and turned into a big sissy who is spending the winter in Vancouver, Washington. He still has a home in Alaska and will have a home in Vancouver near where his children live. He'll split his retirement years between the two locations. I don't think that a fly fisher who is too wimpy to endure the Alaskan winters should even be allowed to own a Tom Morgan rod! After all, it's a balmy 37 degrees here right now!

Post 01 Jan 2014, 05:05 • #195 
Master Guide
I received my Tom Morgan Rodsmiths 7 weight Unity with the Universe rod on Monday. It is a very beautiful rod. It is going to be very difficult to wait until winter is over to fish this rod. But after waiting almost three years for the rod I guess a few months will be easy. With the beauty and the perfection of the rod I think the wait will be worth it. The rod has a great feel to it so I am confident that a Tom Morgan rod will fish as good or better than it feels.

I have many fly rods and even considering my bamboo rods I don't think I have any rods that are better built and more beautiful than my Tom Morgan Rodsmith rods.

Post 01 Jan 2014, 09:53 • #196 
Master Guide
Arctic,
I have had that model TMR since 2009 I think and the blank was built up by Shane. The rod fishes a TT7, LB7 or Sylk 7 to perfection. Feels like a 6wt in my hand, very well balanced and just a lovely rod for medium to larger water or ponds. Not a power 7wt in any way but able to put out some rather large dries.

Even 10 inch fish are nice on the rod, the biggest so far for me was an 18 incher on the Truckee and it was a challenge in the fast water, I had the rod bent double but finally brought the fish in.

Just a really pleasant rod to have for the day I don't feel undergunned or overgunned with this rod.

Post 03 Jan 2014, 21:39 • #197 
Sport
What? "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!". ..After all, these blanks could never be conjured by a mere wizard ... these were truly the hand of the Godsmith! The builds are are stunning, but the soul of these rods are the blanks! Gottagottagottagetone!

Post 01 Feb 2014, 08:13 • #198 
Sport
I built this TMR 805, and I cannot say enough about it. I fished it the other day and it fished a nymph rig in the morning and 26 BWOs on 7x in the afternoon. It turns over a 12-14 ft leader easily. There was a learning curve as I tend to overpower the forward cast. It is so sweet.
ImageImage

Post 02 Feb 2014, 10:52 • #199 
Glass Fanatic
I fished my Morgan "Streamer Special" yesterday for the first time. It was a great day of fishing and I was able to catch double-digits on streamers and nymphs: rainbows up to 19" and a smallie and a sucker rounded out the day. It is a very balanced taper. I was very comfortable casting just the leader while close nymphing and caught my first several fish this way. I often fish my Steffen 4wt on the Guadalupe, but I found landing fish on this 6wt to be just as fun: the rod bent well, protected the tippet and was a joy to fight 'em on. I switched to streams when we moved up to slower water. Despite the sensitive tip, the rod has nice power reserves. Putting a little muscle into it was rewarding and casting a #6 streamer was sweet and easy. The rod felt light in hand, even after 6 hours on the water and worked beautifully with a Peach DT6. This is a probably the most versatile rod I own - or have ever fished. Now I just want another Morgan.

Post 03 Feb 2014, 02:53 • #200 
Guide
i was out shoveling snow today and the neighbor kid drives up just back from skiing ,he asks if i have been skiing i said no been fishing midges ,i told him i fish glass and grass,he says Tom Morgan is his great uncle and has two of his rodsmith rods given to him as gifts never been fished never out of the tubes,i said something about a college education if they stay that way but would be a shame if he didn't fish em,Tom lives out at the end of the valley,you just never know.

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 New Topic Add Reply