It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:23

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Why is this man smiling?
Post 23 Oct 2010, 14:20 • #26 
Master Guide
... I agree with flyflicker ... I've had several negative experiences with cortland over the years ... as a result, I've tended to avoid them ... However, since Mike is the man-with-the-plan, I'll be checking them out and supporting his efforts ... Lastly, if the blue is truly that bad, there is always spray paint ... ;-)

Why is this man smiling?
Post 26 Oct 2010, 04:42 • #27 
Sport
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long. While I'm excited for new DG, I agree with the sentiment that the blue blanks made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

It's not just the blue ... lots of blue rods are pretty ... it's THAT blue. It's like ... the color you'd paint the outhouse walls at camp because it was on clearance at Home Depot.

I have the 7' 4wt and it's a go-to summer dry fly rod ... I'd love to add the 6'6" 2wt of the new ones if only they'd just sell me the hideous blank.

That said ... if anyone's looking to lighten their quiver of a 502 blank of the old DG, I'm all ears ... Image

Why is this man smiling?
Post 26 Oct 2010, 15:59 • #28 
Inactive
I don't really think the blue is quite as bad as it looks in the pic. While it wouldn't have been my choice, and it is sort of "graphite" looking, it doesn't look all that bad in person. It looks a lot like a Thomas and Thomas graphite rod to me. I haven't cast any of them yet, but just wiggling them they felt pretty nice. I think overall these will be really nice rods, especially at this price point.

Why is this man smiling?
Post 27 Oct 2010, 10:40 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I don't think Mike is the Man with the Plan. Offshore blanks? No?

Why is this man smiling?
Post 05 Nov 2010, 19:32 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine had a small bit about these rods in their current issue. It states that the rods will have a black finish like the old ones.

Why is this man smiling?
Post 06 Nov 2010, 06:36 • #31 
Master Guide
Sweet!

Why is this man smiling?
Post 06 Nov 2010, 07:08 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not after one, but I think I'd believe what was shown or look to see one in a fly shop. The magazines run on long deadlines, as much as 6 months ahead of publication, and of course they can make mistakes also. And why not in this case; even the website describes the finish as midnight blue at one point and midnight black at another. Possibly it depends on the time of day. http://www.cortlandline.c ... ducts/default.asp?id=581

Why is this man smiling?
Post 07 Nov 2010, 11:48 • #33 
Guide
I looked at the Cortland website ... the rod looks blue to me. IMO Cortland can keep it. Toys are blue; fishing rods aren't.

Why is this man smiling?
Post 09 Nov 2010, 14:40 • #34 
Inactive
Just to clear up any confusion, the blanks are definitely dark blue. Wraps will be dark blue as well with some fine silver trim wraps at the ferrules and inscription area. I am not rolling the blanks, so I can speak on the blank construction or performance of the rods. I would guess the rods will start showing up in shops mid to late December.

Why is this man smiling?
Post 09 Nov 2010, 15:37 • #35 
Guide
Mike, are you getting a lot of requests to build the old rods?

Why is this man smiling?
Post 09 Nov 2010, 17:10 • #36 
Inactive
No, not really. I am not sure how close the new rods are to the original models, but they were supposed to have copied them when making the blanks for the new rods.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply