It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:37

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Sep 2010, 12:20 • #26 
Had a chance to play with the 6'6" 3wt this week ... very nice.

Post 29 Sep 2010, 07:06 • #27 
Administrator
Fellows ... sorry I have been tardy on responding to this thread for quite some time. I still have the Scott 703/3 and the 825/4 on demo and review. I've had a chance to fish the 825/4 while in Colorado and enjoyed the rod though I agree with Lugan123's points that this may very well be a "Dry Fly Only" type rod since it does not like weighted nymphs or indicators at all. The 825/4 casts smoothly and was very enjoyable for casting dry flies and soft hackles.

I'll be carrying both F2's to Montana in ten days and should have more of a report then on both models that I have on demo.

As far as the hardware I'd say that it looks much better in person and that maybe all of us that are used to custom fly rod builds from makers that also make their own hardware kind of have us spoiled. We're used to something that is just a little bit different. The Scott hardware is very nice and looks great with the cork seat of the fly rod.

I think that Tom will agree with this statement that the most popular rod rack at IFTD may very have been the Scott F2 rack at the Scott Fly Rod Company booth. Every time I walked by someone was picking up, wiggling, and casting them on the nearby pond.

Post 30 Sep 2010, 14:00 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
A dry fly only 5 wt? Gosh, I hope not. Look forward to your thoughts after your Montana trip, Cameron. Have fun.

Post 03 Oct 2010, 13:17 • #29 
Guide
Cameron,
Can you verify that the F2 7' 3 wt model is actually 7'0" and not 6'9" like the F model?

Post 03 Oct 2010, 15:26 • #30 
Administrator
I cast the 703, 774, and 825 while I was at the IFTD show. I wiggled the rest. But I didn't check any of them with a measuring tape. I liked the 703 the best, followed by the 774. Both rods roll cast really well (I was casting on the spey pond - I had to get with the program). For my taste, the line weights were right on the money.

For what it is worth, my F1 model 703 is 6'10" long. I never would have noticed if not for kinzua's question.

Tom

Post 05 Oct 2010, 01:53 • #31 
Master Guide
Don't mean to be a spoilsport, but for the life of me, I just can't see how anyone can justify $600 for a fiberglass fly rod. Half that much, yes, but six hundred bucks? I just can't see it.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 06:53 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, pricey glass is a strange value proposition psychologically. This comes up a lot on this board.

On the other hand, similar amounts of R&D presumably went into the glass rods compared to their graphite cousins, and they still need to use similar high-end components, sell them to dealers who mark them up at similar rates, etc. In other words, all of the other inputs from raw material to dealer rod rack are the same or very similar except the blank.

Can anyone put harder numbers on this? Specifically, does anyone know what a typical high-end glass blank might cost to make vs. a high-end graphite blank?

If, for example, it's $50 for glass and $100 for graphite, then the finished MSRP of $600 for an F2 and $700 for an S4 seems about right. But if the difference is, for example, $50 for glass and $200 for graphite, then it's out of whack and the glass rod would feel over-priced.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 07:15 • #33 
Master Guide
Here is a nice podcast on fly rod pricing ... Interview is with the President of Scott Rods.

http://www.itinerantangle ... m/podcasts/podcast62.mp3

Post 05 Oct 2010, 13:30 • #34 
Administrator
Fellows ... R&D is certainly a large part of the price of a niche type rod which I am sure fiberglass falls into.

Also ... I believe it was mentioned on the Itinerant Angler podcast interview with Jim Bartschi that Scott's price breakdown is roughly 50% of what they sell a rod for. So ... on a $600 F2 Scott is bringing back to the shop about $300 for each rod sold. Now minus out materials and the hands that built the rod and the profit margin isn't huge.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 15:16 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Lugan123 wrote:
Yeah, pricey glass is a strange value proposition psychologically. This comes up a lot on this board.

On the other hand, similar amounts of R&D presumably went into the glass rods compared to their graphite cousins, and they still need to use similar high-end components, sell them to dealers who mark them up at similar rates, etc. In other words, all of the other inputs from raw material to dealer rod rack are the same or very similar except the blank.

Can anyone put harder numbers on this? Specifically, does anyone know what a typical high-end glass blank might cost to make vs. a high-end graphite blank?

If, for example, it's $50 for glass and $100 for graphite, then the finished MSRP of $600 for an F2 and $700 for an S4 seems about right. But if the difference is, for example, $50 for glass and $200 for graphite, then it's out of whack and the glass rod would feel over-priced.

I would also offer that fewer glass rods are probably being sold relative to graphite rods so your example of $50 for glass and $200 for graphite may not be out of whack or over-priced due to the lower volume of glass rods being made.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 15:31 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
So then a $600 glass rod made in USA from a manufacturer like Scott or T&T is not that outrageous in purely economic terms.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 15:45 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
So are you then buying a $150 glass rod for $600 due to the poor economics of their manufacturing? Just a thought ...

Post 05 Oct 2010, 16:47 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
I would venture to guess (and admittedly it is just that a guess) that the difference in raw material cost between fiberglass and graphite is not that much today (it was when Fenwick and others started working with "carbon fiber"), and thus the cost to build a fiberglass rod versus a graphite rod is not that different. When you take into account purchasing volumes, i.e. a rod manufacture like Scott is buying a lot more graphite than fiberglass, then I would expect a fiberglass rod and a graphite rod to sell for similar prices.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 18:57 • #39 
This is most certainly true ... the difference in price for the raw materials is negligible. The major costs are having Americans roll the blanks and build the rods, plus having high quality components. Its a psychological leap for sure but I will gratefully pay for handcrafted glass rods.

Its a blessing that Scott is producing them at all ... glass is a very small market for the major rod companies.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 19:00 • #40 
Sport
Maybe Steffen Brothers should sell their fiberglass rods for $600?
Or should Scott sell theirs for Steffen Brothers prices--or less?

Post 05 Oct 2010, 19:05 • #41 
Administrator
Some guys happily pay $600 for a high end, modern glass fly rod. Some guys would rather fish a classic Fenwick or Phillipson. Some guys only want rods they build themselves. Some guys search for hidden gems at bargain prices. Of course, some guys won't touch plastic at all and only fish cane. Everyone has their own preference and comfort level. That's fly fishing.

If bang for the buck were the only criteria, we would all fish exclusively with Eagle Claw FeatherLites.

As near as I can tell, the various production, marketing, and distribution costs are same for glass and graphite. The cost difference between the glass pre-preg and graphite tape is probably $10 tops. The R&D costs for glass are spread out over fewer rods than graphite. In many respects, the glass rods should be the most expensive offerings in the catalog.

Tom

Post 05 Oct 2010, 23:43 • #42 
Administrator
dhoover8448 wrote:
So are you then buying a $150 glass rod for $600 due to the poor economics of their manufacturing? Just a thought ...
I don't know if I'd call it "poor economics". I guess the question you have to ask yourself is how important is it to support a company making a product in the U.S.? Personally I don't have issues with a $600 fly rod if I know who's hands made it ... whether that be a custom builder or a factory shop in the U.S.

david ... Steffen offers his fly rods direct to the customer. I'm sure that if he was stocking fly shops with them there would be a price hike to take into account the fly shop's profit margin.

Post 05 Oct 2010, 23:53 • #43 
Master Guide
The best way to get a quality glass rod for the least money is to build it yourself. If you might be interested in the TL Johnson Synergy fiberglass rods, you can get a brand new first generation blank for $50. Check out pioneeranglers.com. I ordered a 7.5 foot, 4 weight blank from them.

Post 06 Oct 2010, 03:18 • #44 
Sport
Cameron, I did forget to take the fly shops into account. And while I don't want to criticize fly shops (particularly in today's market where we see some closing their doors), won't compare retail mark up to Microsoft's Business Suite software, for example, or even to my corner Nordstrom where I'm known to pick up an occasional pair of silk pajamas (right off the rack!), nevertheless, I would ask, once again, Which Fly Shops are they stocking?

Post 06 Oct 2010, 03:44 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Cameron wrote:
dhoover8448 wrote:
I don't know if I'd call it "poor economics". I guess the question you have to ask yourself is how important is it to support a company making a product in the U.S.? Personally I don't have issues with a $600 fly rod if I know who's hands made it ... whether that be a custom builder or a factory shop in the U.S.

david ... Steffen offers his fly rods direct to the customer. I'm sure that if he was stocking fly shops with them there would be a price hike to take into account the fly shop's profit margin.
Cameron ... Perhaps not the right choice of words ("poor economics"). ... maybe should have said "lower return on investment"? I don't have any particular position here. I was just trying to forward the discussion some. I guess what I was trying to ask, are $600 glass rods and $600 graphite rods the same in regards to their raw materials, R&D and manufacturing or is the high end glass rod in comparison overpriced? I think the question has been somewhat answered above. For full disclosure, if I had $600 for a rod, I'd be hunting down one of those Kabuto's real quick. Image

Post 06 Oct 2010, 04:16 • #46 
Master Guide
While the cost of production of glass rods and graphite rods is probably pretty comparable, the impression of what each is worth is totally different. Graphite prices started out higher than glass prices and have gone up from there, and fishermen now just expect to lay out a lot for graphite.
After all, glass rods were originally thought of as economical alternatives to the expensive cane rods. Even though the actual value of each type of rod is similar, how can you get folks with the long-time mindset that glass is cheap to pay graphite prices for it? It's going to be all marketing now in order to sell good glass at a profit; graphite does not require so much marketing anymore to make folks think that its prices are justified.

Post 06 Oct 2010, 05:14 • #47 
Sport
The Scott Warranty is another cost not yet discussed. I was intrigued and called and asked Scott, and the warranty does cover rods broken accidentally (including car door accidents). But does not cover rods damaged due to neglect (put away wet, for example, Scott said).
I don't know how you'd get a value for that warranty. One way might be to find out what the cost for a new tip would be and multiply that by the typical number of times a deft fisherman might break the tip over the course of a lifetime's ownership. Another way might be to find out what someone would pay for a new rod minus the warranty. I've seen high end Winston rods (which have a similar non-transferable warranty) typically sell for at least $200 less in as new condition. I'd guess the value of the warranty is right around that $200 figure.
When I think about the "market" value of the warranty the Scott price looks more competitive with a Steffen. That said without knowing how much Steffen would charge to make you a new tip, or how likely any given buyer is to break a rod in the first place.

Post 06 Oct 2010, 05:41 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
david wrote:
When I think about the "market" value of the warranty the Scott price looks more competitive with a Steffen. That said without knowing how much Steffen would charge to make you a new tip, or how likely any given buyer is to break a rod in the first place.
Steffen once replaced a lost tip section for me for $60, $20 of which was for shipping.
I would think marketing is a place the independents have an advatage over Scott and T&T. I've never seen or heard of an advertisement for Steffen,McFarland,Kenney or Kabuto.
This site is probably responsible of a large percentage of the sales of these low volume glass crafters. That and of course the fantastic rods they make. So, if you're looking for the reason glass prices have risen so dramatically the members of this board are as much to blame as anything else. Personally, I have no regrets.

Post 06 Oct 2010, 22:16 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
While the catalog price on high end graphite is $600 plus and the priciest glass rods are approaching that quickly, who pays retail for graphite rods? Those $700 rods are easily found for half that if you patient and know where to look. I have not seen fiberglass of the same caliber being sold at such steep discounts. This might be a good thing for owners of high end glass, as it seems that they hold their value much longer, but if you want a $600 glass rod, you are going to be spending that amount. As for warranties, I think they are meaningless in terms of making a decision of whether or not to buy a rod. Take my example above. You buy a $700 rod thinking that the warranty is worth the cost. You snap the tip you still pay the typical $50 to $75 "handling fee" and you get a new tip section. Buy that same rod on eBay or a forum classifieds for $300 "second hand" in mint condition, snap the tip and the repair cost might be a tad more, but certainly it is not going to cost the extra $400 that the "original" owner paid for having that "lifetime" warranty. In other words, you have to snap a pile of tips to make the investment worth it.

Last edited by tabornatives on 06 Oct 2010, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Oct 2010, 03:39 • #50 
Sport
Yes, thanks, all good points regarding warranties, though I thought a replacement tip (this was for a Winston) was closer to $200, not including shipping. Still, point well taken. And a warranty will not cover a lost tip such as frogmorton experienced. And, Mark Steffen's replacement price was very reasonable, as advertised. Particularly in the case of graphite I might attribute some of the $400 difference to knowing the rod hasn't been whacked by a piece of metal.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply