It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:58

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 May 2011, 05:50 • #126 
Glass Fanatic
nativetrout wrote:
You don't know good fiberglass buddy. I have Scott F and F2s , McFarland, Diamondglass, Phillipsons, Norie. ... and the Fenwick rods are by far the sweetest.
In the words of Vincent Vega ... "that's a bold statement"

Last edited by frogmorton on 26 May 2011, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 May 2011, 09:09 • #127 
Glass Fanatic
I wish I could find the post that prompted nativetrout's post. I thought maybe my browser paged things differently from his, and went through them all, but couldn't see it. But someone who'd fished all the Fenwicks would be a terrific resource, even if his taste differed from mine. Still, it was very nice seeing Musicar's pics again. They remind me that I really want to fish the Driftless Area sometime. My usual vacation time sort of corresponds with hopper season out west, which can be hard to turn down, but one day I'll get there. And I think I have rod well suited to that fishing, but it's not a Scott, so I'll hold that for another thread.

Post 16 May 2011, 09:45 • #128 
Glass Fanatic
Upstreeam wrote:
I wish I could find the post that prompted nativetrout's post. I thought maybe my browser paged things differently from his, and went through them all, but couldn't see it. But someone who'd fished all the Fenwicks would be a terrific resource, even if his taste differed from mine.

I think it must have been my post at the bottom of the first page of the thread in which I stated that I'd not found a groove with half a dozen Fenwicks and other vintage glass I'd tried, though my post doesn't claim experience with "all" Fenwicks and doesn't mention "backbone". Liberties with facts aside, nativetrout helpfully corrected the flagrant error of my opinion, for which I am eternally grateful. :-\

Post 30 May 2011, 04:53 • #129 
Master Guide
If I wanted 'just' an all around rod I'd own only own one rod. I don't care for ugly rods that cast well. But, I like rods that cast well AND are pretty to look at. A fine casting rod that is a pleasure to the eye goes hand in hand with the beautiful sport of fly fishing. That's why I don't own a Fenwick, they're ugly. IMO, the nicest casting Fenwicks are the FF79 and maybe the FF84. The rest, and this is jmo, are stiff cannons and that's not what I want ... unless I'm bass fishing for which I'd use most any Fenwick. Ff'ing is also FUN and I like to cast/fish rods that are fun.
Fly fishing is really what ever you want it to be. If your utilitarian and 'hunting' for food then by all means own a utilitarian Fenwick. But, if your fly fishing for the enjoyment of being out on the water and the experience, the beautiful sport and its history, and then by all means use a rod that helps get you there. So, I'd love to try a soft Scott F2. They look nice and are probably fun to cast.

Post 01 Jun 2011, 18:03 • #130 
Glass Fanatic
Boo wrote:
If your utilitarian and 'hunting' for food then by all means own a utilitarian Fenwick.
hey boo.
you're just an inch this side of calling my baby ugly! ImageImageImage
my ff79 and ff805 are a joy to fish. you refer to fenwicks as if they're in the same class as cast nets and frog gigs.
i do admit that mine are highly useful/practical (utilitarian), but my B-series FF79, with it's blondish-brown blank and mylar wraps is a real looker. i know, different strokes for different folks, but "they're ugly stiff cannons, clearly no fun, tools chiefly for meat retrieval, and having little part in the sport's history" ... pretty harsh sentiments bro.

in all fairness, this reply comes from a guy who thinks all his kids are good-looking. i know ... it's in the eye of the beholder.

Post 02 Jun 2011, 01:24 • #131 
Glass Fanatic
Man, I should try one the longer Fenwicks. The three short ones I owned and sold were noodles compared to my beloved Steffens, Scotts, Wojnickis.

Post 07 Jun 2011, 12:51 • #132 
Glass Fanatic
Stiff cannons? Noodles? Same sticks? Diversity endures, gentlefolk.

Interestingly, at least one would-be fiberglass angler is having some trouble acquiring certain models of the ugly, brown, utilitarian, frog gig, noodle/cannons for much under $200. Some of these aesthetically-challenged meat retrievers have gotten high, y'all.

Fenwick FF75, used"”US $178.49"”plus shipping

Post 07 Jun 2011, 19:09 • #133 
Glass Fanatic
swellcat wrote:
Interestingly, at least one would-be fiberglass angler is having some trouble acquiring certain models of the ugly, brown, utilitarian, frog gig, noodle/cannons for much under $200. Some of these aesthetically-challenged meat retrievers have gotten high, y'all.

Fenwick FF75, used"”US $178.49"”plus shipping
i remember just a few years back when you could get most any fenwick rod for under 50 bucks. like many have said before, i think we've praised our beloved glass rods one time too many and folks are catching on.
dang it!

Post 08 Jun 2011, 12:22 • #134 
Master Guide
Love my Fenwicks! Back on topic ... I am getting the Jones for a new Scott F2. Sure wish I could get to cast the 774 and the 825. Hard to fork over that much cash for a blind sale. I know I would like either of the rods immensely but not sure if I would $600 like them. I have been Scott-less for the last year and that is a first. I have owned and loved me some *G*s over the years but never owned or fished a glass Scott. I often wish I had never turned loose of my 883-3 or my 804-3. Anyone want to allow me to Demo one of them thar Yellar, new Scotts, I will promiss to treat them well!

Mikey

Last edited by mikeylikesit on 08 Jun 2011, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Jun 2011, 04:20 • #135 
Sport
... now we have the Finwick debate winding down, let's hear something about the other F2 models. There was a nice description of the 7'7" from someone that owned it, has anyone fished any of the other models (not just casting indoors on a casting pool). I'm interested to hear about the short light rods. I don't have a shop that carries Scott anywhere near me so it would be nice to hear about the various models from folks that fish them.

Thanks,

CW

Post 12 Jun 2011, 11:22 • #136 
Glass Fanatic
I got the 6'6" 3wt. and i am not good at describing actions but have fished the rod alot since march.You don't feel the rod load with a few feet of line out but it will form nice loops and is very nice in little or no wind conditions.Fished a small creek in southern colorado last week with most casts 10 to 35' although the rod can easily cast 45' with the dry dropper combo i was using,14 stimulator and a 14 beadhead nymph,the rod is very versatile and can handle bigger nymphs and small streamers.The rod flexes deep but is strong.I Really enjoy fishing it and had no problem with 15" cutt's ... aurelio

Post 13 Jun 2011, 02:20 • #137 
Guide
I have the F2 653/3. Aurelio described the action very accurately, it does cast nice loops with only a few feet of line out. I'm not sure I could improve on his description. I did land a feisty little 12" shoal bass over the Memorial Day weekend along with a bunch of 'gills and greenies, but mostly it's been my brookie rod. A very smooth caster that is not too soft. Flexes deep enough to suit me. It is very light, a Hardy Flyweight balances right at the tip of the grip. I've tried numerous short three weight rods and not found anything I liked as much as this one. A pretty nice looking rod too..

Post 13 Jun 2011, 13:37 • #138 
Sport
The 6.5 footer sounds nice. Do you guys use a 3 or 4 wt. line?

Thanks,

CW

Post 13 Jun 2011, 14:07 • #139 
Guide
I use a Peach DT3, but a GPX would work well.

Post 14 Jun 2011, 01:19 • #140 
Glass Fanatic
CW, I use a dt. 3 and have cast a dt. 4 which does not seem to over load the rod at all ... aurelio

Post 18 Jun 2011, 11:25 • #141 
I've given the 7'7" 4 weight a good wiggle and really like it.
Only thing I'm not that keen on is the position of the Stripping guide on the mid section of the rod.
I would prefer it to be 2"-4" down on the Butt Section.
Have asked Scott if they do blanks and apparently not.
Also asked them if they can reposition the Stripper guide on special order, no reply.
What other Blank Manufacturer offers a blank that best matches the flex characteristics of this rod?
Prefer 7 1/2 footer, 3 or 4 weight, 2 or 3 piece.
Many thanks.

Post 20 Jun 2011, 03:46 • #142 
Master Guide
Id give Mike McFarland a call at McFarland rod company. I just discuss something similar with him just recently.

Post 20 Jun 2011, 05:51 • #143 
Administrator
Whinny,

Scott started a Custom Shop as part of their operation in the last year or two. They stopped selling blanks at the same time. I don't know how long the wait is with this service, or the deposit/payment requirements.

I would call Scott (phone 800-728-7208) to see what it would take to get a rod built out with special guide spacing. I wouldn't rely on e-mail with a company that large to get a reliable answer, except for the most basic of questions.

There are a lot of blanks out there, the problem is figuring out which one will match your preferences.

Tom

Post 20 Jun 2011, 23:04 • #144 
Glass Fanatic
Although I don't own one, I've twice had the opportunity to cast the F2 7'7" 4wt.. My local ff shop allowed me to take one home for a couple days to test cast at leisure and a good friend bought one recently and I've test cast it with him. Our conclusion is that we both like it better with a 3wt. line. It has a very soft action and at very close distance a 4 wt. line would be good but overall it was a bit more crisp with the 3wt. and when pushed to longer distances, the loops stayed together better with the 3wt. -- in our opinions. About 6 months ago I bought a 7'6" 4wt. 3 piece yellow glass blank from Mike McFarland and finished it out. This rod too, to my taste, performs better with a 3 wt. line. It's similar to the F2 7'7" in that way and the flex characteristics are similar but of the two, I prefer the McFarland. I've used it brookie fishing in WV where the longest cast might be 30 ft. and it's just super for that -- which I believe is what it's designed for.

Whinny -- I'd strongly recommend casting the F2 before buying one unless you know you really like medium to medium-slow action rods. And be sure to try it with both 3 and 4 wt. lines.

And BTW, my friend is considering selling the 7'7" F2 if anyone's interested. It's like new and he won't give it away but there would be substantial savings over MSRP. Contact my yuku mailbox if you want his contact info.

Last edited by tiptop on 20 Jun 2011, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Jun 2011, 05:53 • #145 
Glass Fanatic
Just picked up a the black F 754 - 2010 vintage and it is also very soft and loads perfectly well with a 3 wt (Cortland Clear Creek WF and Sharkskin DT). Haven't fished it yet but on the lawn it's better with a 3wt for me. The tip is not particularly fine so it should work with beadhead nymphs. Very different from the T&T Heirloom 763 which has a stiffer butt/ faster tip for a generally much faster action and makes me think about putting a 4wt on it for anything but midges.

Post 26 Jun 2011, 12:06 • #146 
Glass Fanatic
gloglo, welcome to the forum. That's a nice comparison you gave us.

Post 27 Jun 2011, 08:56 • #147 
Glass Fanatic
Didn't see much comment on the 6' 2 wt. Just curious.

And there doesn't seem to be a 5 wt. on their site.

Post 27 Jun 2011, 16:13 • #148 
Glass Fanatic
Upstreeam wrote:
And there doesn't seem to be a 5 wt. on their site.

It's there. It's in its own category as the sole 4pc rod. Go back to F2 page and look for the link roughly lower-left that toggles between 3 Piece and 4 Piece. Dumb website design, IMO.

Post 28 Jun 2011, 06:59 • #149 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, I see it now. Yeah, the color choices didn't help either.

Post 05 Jul 2011, 13:42 • #150 
I own the 6' Two weight. I use it for brook trout in the higher elevations. Its an awesome rod. Pairs nicely with my CFO

Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply