It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:26

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jul 2011, 11:23 • #151 
Sport
How long is the grip on the 6' 2wt.? Hopefully it's diminutive to fit the rod.

Post 12 Jul 2011, 05:03 • #152 
I think from butt to the finish cork, its around 8 inches. It seems to fit the rod very well

Post 19 Aug 2011, 08:04 • #153 
Master Guide
I tried out several of these during a visit to Virginia, on the lawn - I thought they were rather butt heavy and clunky IMO.
I thought the F series to be much nicer in action than these F2's. Those reel seat on the F's require modification to hold a reel foot though.
People may like the new ones but I would suggest try before you buy.

I have the Kenney glass rods and they are a vastly superior stick as regards to action and balance for about the same amount of money.

I will say I do love my Scott G's and G2 though.

Post 22 Aug 2011, 00:27 • #154 
I have been fishing most of this summer (2011) with the 6'6'' Scott F2 3 weight. I cast all the F2 rods earlier this year at my buddies fly shop, and even had the opportunity to fish with 3 of the 4 models that Scott currently offers. The only model I didn't fish, but cast, was the 6 footer. For my particular taste, the 6'6'' was the clear winner, with the 7 footer a distant second. I already own the 7 footer in the F model and, prior to getting the 6'6'', that was my main rod. I like the F 7 footer much more than the F2. Just seems a little crisper, for me. Again, for my taste, I did not like the F2 5 weight at all. Felt it was way too heavy in the hand and thus not that much fun to fish with. My initial reaction to all of the F2 rods was not that positive at first. I had to take the 6'6'' fishing to really get a feel for the rod. I think that had I not had that opportunity, I would not have gone to the F2's. I now love that 3 weight! Handles an amazing range of flies. Small hoppers are a joy to cast, even at short lengths.
Overall, my vote is for the older F rods other than the 6'6'', and even that rod in the F series is very nice, as a 2 weight. The F blanks just seem quite unique, while the F2 feels more like retro fiberglass, too me.
I absolutely love glass, owning about a dozen trout rods in glass: Winston, J. Kennedy Fischer, Orvis, Fenwick, Scott and some custom jobs. This F2 6'6'' is currently my favorite. It has handled a lot of fish this summer, biggest a native Battenkill Brown a little over 18" on a size 8 black wooly bugger.
You can get some great deals on the Scott F rods on ebay. My buddy won a 7 footer for 350., like new! I think I would look into them before shelling out 595 on the F2, again, except for that 6'6''!
If you are on the fence in trying glass, go for it! Lots of fun, especially in rods shorter than 8 feet.

Post 22 Aug 2011, 00:49 • #155 
Glass Fanatic
Battenkill, great report and thanks for educating on the 7' f2 wich i was thinking about getting because i to love my 6'6" 3wt. f2. Last night one of our geusts had a older DB 6'6" 2pc and we did some casting and the f2 was the clear winner for both of us he said the f2 felt like some of his good cane rods ... aurelio

Post 22 Aug 2011, 07:23 • #156 
Guide
The F2 653/3 is the star of the series, far more versatile than it's length and line weight suggests.

Post 22 Aug 2011, 09:45 • #157 
Glass Fanatic
I got to play with Aurelio's F2 6'6" 3 wt (with a Rio DT3) and agree with battenkill's and JB's comments as well.

Short 3 wts are usually pretty specialized tools, and I don't fish them often. But this F2 is surprisingly versatile, and it did great with dry-droppers even with some wind. It flexes pleasantly with casting and with fish on. I didn't catch any big ones with it, but it could probably handle a good-sized fish.

My Winston Retro of the same configuration in comparison is slower (med-slow) with a softer tip. While it's less versatile, it's the "most fun" rod I own when conditions are right.

Post 28 Aug 2011, 20:40 • #158 
Glass Fanatic
Took the late vintage F 764 fishing. Used DT3 and it handled perfectly even at short range with relatively long leader (10') and small beadhead. Roll casting superb. Didn't even try a 4 wt as it just seemed entirely pointless. This seems to tie in with the comments about the F2 774 being more fun with a 3 wt. and is at odds with reports of older F764 s being 4/5 wts.

The question that comes to mind is how does the F2 825 cast with a DT 4?

Post 29 Aug 2011, 04:14 • #159 
Sport
My two cents: I have the F2 825 with a DT5 (sharkskin) and I think a DT4 will not load it enough (for my taste).

Post 23 Dec 2011, 08:57 • #160 
Sport
Hello,
I own a Scott F 6'6 and 6'6 F2 silk 3.
I do not fish in small and medium French River in Lozère.
Since I tried the fiberglass rods, I gave all the others.
I use natural silk Terenzio.
I love these two rods and I use them both, but I think the F2 Scott has more power.
But the quality of the F2 is holding fish. Sensation guaranteed even on a small brown trout. The rod is much more responsive.
It's really great fun.
For application against their grip still tinkering reels because of the width!

Another topic: I have a rod in order with McFerland and I have no news to me as he has promised for several weeks.
I hope he is not sick because I do not even reply to my emails.
I shook in my last email because I can not find this very seriously, the order goes back to 3 months

If I can put pictures I will, but you can see in the pictures about scott rods F2
Thank you for hosting a small French fisherman
@ + Gravosa

Post 23 Dec 2011, 09:44 • #161 
Inactive
Gravos, Email sent regarding rod delivery.

Post 04 Aug 2012, 18:20 • #162 
Sport
I like the 754, it is my go to rod in the series ...

Post 20 May 2013, 06:30 • #163 
Glass Fanatic
yeah, the F754 is sooo versatile ... but I love it with a #4 line.

Post 22 Jun 2013, 12:33 • #164 
Glass Fanatic
I have been playing the F 754 again and discovered I like it with a 5wt. So that means I like it with a 3wt and 5wt better than with a 4wt (all trout DT sharkskin). Pretty strange. I could see using a 4 wt if I was trying to cast 80 feet but that's not what I use this rod for. I guess I like either casting off its tip or off its butt and the 4wt is neither here nor there.

Since all lines are different it will be for sure possible to find a line labelled 4wt that feels good to me with this rod but that's not really the point. In my hands the rod feels sweeter at the lower and upper end of its range with a dull spot pretty much in the middle of it where the tip is not quite enough to drive the line and the butt's not quite kicking in consistently. Doubly strange, the amount of line beyond the rod tip doesn't appreciably alter this feeling. The upside is that the rod is exceptionally versatile. I can fish nymphs with the 3wt and big dries with a 5wt. Maybe distance cast with the 4wt? The downside is the rod doesn't have a sweetspot to fall for and get addicted to. A very nice rod for fishing unfamiliar waters it appeals more to the head than the heart.

Post 22 Jun 2013, 14:13 • #165 
Glass Fanatic
Very interesting report. Really, nobody should have to think about a fly rod's behavior that much when using it, or in between using it, or at anytime whatsoever. It should just cast. Actually, I bet it does if the caster does without thinking too much about it. It is all but impossible for the butt to not kick in consistently if the casting motion is reasonably consistent. The rod would have to have loose components, loose sections, whacko ferrules, loose fibers, intermittently soft and hard resin, etc. that worked together sometimes and separately others. Far, far past unlikely. The flex profile doesn't change between casts, only what the caster is thinking about.

Hope you enjoy your rod.

Post 22 Jun 2013, 17:02 • #166 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Now that's funny :lol
Tight lines and :rollin loops.
Andy M

Post 23 Jun 2013, 10:08 • #167 
Glass Fanatic
Laugh all you like - I confess to beeing a bit of a braniac at times ... But this rod is bizarre and unlike any of the many, many others I have cast. It's a very nice fast progressive with a 3wt, a nice semi parabolic with a 5 wt and with a 4 wt it's got a bit of an identity crisis with a problematic transition from tip to butt (unless you have a lot of line out and are casting far in which case the butt gets nicely into the action). If I were to stick to the labeling it would be sitting in the closet as I have 4wts I like better. There are some rods I prefer to use underlined and some rods I prefer to use overlined but there is no other rod I prefer both underlined and overlined, it's a one off and probably funny at that.

Post 14 Jul 2013, 22:07 • #168 
Guide
I was perusing the website of the Blue Dun Fly shop in Tokyo and noticed that Scott is selling a 7'2" 4piece 3 wt "Japan Special" F2.

Has anyone cast or fished this rod?

Post 14 Jul 2013, 22:27 • #169 
Guide
Giogio, these guys are not laughing at you brother. People on here are very respectful. I can understand what you are saying about enjoying the rod better with different lines but I gotta say, I feel it may be your choice in lines that makes it feel like it's not a good 4wt. Its amazing what the right line will do for a rod. Try a peach 444 dt4 on it ad tell me it's not one of the finest rods you have ever fished. It is unreal. I have had some really bad experiences with that shark skin crap(never again) and its messed the finish on some rods. If its a 3 or a 5 wt to you ... then thats what you like and thats all that matters. I have not felt anything parabolic in the rods action but maybe a 5wt. would bring it out. Take care friend and keep fishing glass (and cane) tee hee

Post 14 Jul 2013, 23:51 • #170 
Glass Fanatic
mcfly wrote:
I was perusing the website of the Blue Dun Fly shop in Tokyo and noticed that Scott is selling a 7'2" 4piece 3 wt "Japan Special" F2.

Has anyone cast or fished this rod?

Cameron has one of those. I tried it the other day. Typical Japanese Yamame taper. Medium to slow, deep loading action. Light in hand, relatively crisp, great for shorter presentations. Nice brookie rod. A bliss to play fish on.

Post 15 Jul 2013, 09:00 • #171 
Glass Fanatic
Nativetrout - thanks for the comment. Let me just get a couple of premises in here. First I have an unconfessable number of rods (so do a lot of you) and my 754 is like no other. Second being totally intrigued by it I tend to cast it a fair bit and I'm even coming to terms with it as 4 wt ... sort of ...

However, whenever I read other casters descriptions of this rod they just do not jive with my experience. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that this rod is pretty late vintage (serial348900) and perhaps the design had already been tweaked in the direction of the F2 774 (which I have not cast but the descriptions of which seem closer to what I have in hand). The best rod I have and am familiar with that I can compare it to is the Kenney 794 (one of my favourites). The 754 has a much finer and softer tip (partly due to different material - it being S glass rather than E glass). Then 5/6 inches down it gets relatively stiffer until about 6 to 8 inches above the grip where it has soft spot where the rod likes to hinge when well loaded. Overall the 754 is a bit stiffer and combined with faster recovery of the S glass it ends up producing slightly faster line speed than the Kenney with the same 4wt line. The Kenney however has what feels to be the faster, progressive taper and almost keeps up with it despite less horsepower.

This is pretty different from most of the descriptions I've been reading of the 754 so I really have to wonder if changes were made to the layup during the long time it was produced.

Post 15 Jul 2013, 16:58 • #172 
Glass Fanatic
giogio, I don't know about the 754,but I had 2 f2 653's at one time and the tip dia. on the newer one was. 007 dia. larger and seemed to have a little different feel in the butt section so maybe they did make some slight changes or they have poor QC ... AURELIO

Post 19 Nov 2013, 21:35 • #173 
I've been very pleased with Scott's fiberglass rods—the F and the F2.

Post 22 Mar 2014, 01:13 • #174 
Glass Fanatic
I've been using the black Scott F in the7'6" #4 for 6 yrs now. It's a great rod. I fish it at least 20 times each season. That's a lot for a gear head. I know some of you have more rods than you can fish in a year (or longer) if you were to fish each rod just once. Just a reminder. I saw remarks regarding the F series reel seats. They need a slimfooted reel. My Islander IR2 is a perfect fit on the F754. Curious to ask, has anybody bought a new F2 in the 825?

Post 22 Mar 2014, 05:15 • #175 
Master Guide
Hi there,

I have the F2 825 and it is a soft rod. It is not capable of throwing streamers. I have only fished it with a Sharskin 5wt line and next time i fish with it i am going to try it with a 4wt line. It is a very nice rod for swinging hackles and casting bigger dries. Overall, I would say it is a very specialized tool and not a general purpose rod at all.

Wes

Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply